Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Dirty Bathroom

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Anthy9986 polycounter lvl 7
:Current Pic:
postprocess05.jpg

Hi All!,
I am going to be recreating this dirty bathroom concept by Francis Tsai. I am only partially done roughing out the layout. My goals is to learn vertex painting I figured this concept would allow for plenty of that :P

20_2.jpg

TolietSeat.jpg

I think one of the biggest things I am going to struggle with is getting the camera just right. I haven't looked up changing the field of view in UDK yet but I think that will help it.

Replies

• jmt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmt
    Funny concept. I'd like to see the final model.

If I was doing this, I would get the geo semi-finalized before starting with textures and normal maps. Are you going to match the lighting exactly?
  • Anthy9986
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I am hoping to match the lighting and overall green feel. maps I have made so far are really simple and more of placeholders than anything. I wanted to try my hand at having the texture first and then unwrapping onto it since the lighting map is a separate channel.
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
    I think right now your roof is too low, other than that I like the concept, keep going!
  • chrisavigni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisavigni polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Anthy9986 I started doing this scene last year, but got stuck at work and never had time to finish it!
    Great start, but as Jordan said the roof is really too low. It will be much more noticeable when you put the air ducts! Also I think the walls look too wavy!
    Keep it up, and don´t be me like and finish it! I really want to see how it will look!
  • Anthy9986
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments thus far! I adjusted a few different things and added most of the remaining geometry.
    Piping.jpg

chrisavigni~ I'll tone down the wavy walls as soon as I jump into the texturing. I thought the waves in the normal might look cool but I guess they are a little much.
  • chrisavigni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Much better! I think you nailed the scale.
    Looking forward for more.
  • Anthy9986
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not much for an update.
    basiccolors.jpg

exhaustventcover.jpg

Switched to a different hosting site that allows bigger pictures. I didn't realize the other was cutting the image in half.

Set up the materials in UDK just placeholders for now with basic vector 3 colors.
    I started working on the normal maps for the exhaust vent and vent cover. My work flow in creating a highpoly mesh in Max and baking the normal from that then unwrapping onto it. (I don't know if this is the best work flow or not but it allows me to quickly generate some tileable normals)

I am struggling with creating effective diffuse and specular maps. I was working on the pipe but it looked way too much like a pasted on picture of a rusty pipe. If anyone has some good tutorials for that I would be very happy :)
  • Anthy9986
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    postprocess02withfog.jpg

withoutpostprocessandfo.jpg

I haven't posted in a while, been busy with work but hopefully I get moving on this. I've added some more textures and started playing around with post process effects and a exp. height fog. I know it might be a little premature since I still have more textures to finish.

As Always critiques are appreciated/welcomed
  • Anthy9986
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated some graffiti tags and worked on some textures too
  • DeadlyFreeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeadlyFreeze polycounter lvl 17
    I would'nt do much besides color correct in your post. Fog in a environment this small is overkill and it will just blurry things up. The textures look fine for a base to work on but they are all missing the larger details atm.

It will help to give your gloss a lower value so your spec will catch more light and give the environment that wet look.
  • Anthy9986
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would'nt do much besides color correct in your post. Fog in a environment this small is overkill and it will just blurry things up. The textures look fine for a base to work on but they are all missing the larger details atm.

It will help to give your gloss a lower value so your spec will catch more light and give the environment that wet look.

I can defiantly cut out the fog and dof I kind of went post process crazy after I started messing around with the stuff lol.

By larger detail do you mean the grime and dirt stuff along with graffiti? I was planning on originally using vertex blending to blend between a dirty texture and clean one but later decided to instead make all the grime on decals. Most all of the textures I am using are small tiling textures that have the assets unwrapped outside of the 0-1 space since the lightmaps are on a different channel.
    I do need to work on my spec maps a bit I haven't perfected creating them yet lol but I have been crunching them down into the alpha of the diffuse for space saving purposes I guess I could have put them in the blue channel of the normal too.

Thanks for the reply :)

I will post more updates soon I have been busy with work and such.
  • Anthy9986
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    With Post Process:
    postprocess05.jpg

Without:
    progress05.jpg

Notes:
    postprocess05notes.jpg

Not the most exciting update but work has been hectic lately :)
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    if I would do grafitti in there I sure as heck wouldn't lean my body over those toilets O_o one could die in there xD
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    if I would do grafitti in there I sure as heck wouldn't lean my body over those toilets O_o one could die in there xD

And the grafitti would need to be done with a small pen, it just dosn't look right.
  • Linkitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Linkitch polycounter lvl 13
    The seams you are seeing on the pipes, I'm assuming it's the light maps that are causing it.

Try taking a look at this video
  • chrisavigni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes the grafitti looks odd - Colors and size. Also the tiles on the back wall need more work!
    Regarding the seams, try making the pipe as one piece or use the junction to ride them!