Home Technical Talk

Mudbox vs Zbrush

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Orangeknight polycounter lvl 5
So I'm trying to decide what to use for enviroments and stuff like that. I'm not gonna be really doing much characters, so for enviroments and stuff like that do you think Mudbox or Zbrush. I know you may say try both, I will do that I just want some proffesional input.

Replies

• gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know you may say try both

Truth.

It really doesn't matter which you use, its just a tool, and they do the same thing.

I haven't spent much time in mudbox, but from what I can tell (and have heard) its a little easier to get a grasp on, as its a less complex program. Zbrush is a little more complex starting out, but its more flexible.

Try them out, and see which you like.
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
    Mudbox vs Zbrush..

First of let me just say.. what you already know. The best way to find out if a programs will suit your needs is to simply try it.
    I myself use Mudbox, it has been ages since I touched Zbrush. But I follow most 3d apps, so I am pretty up to date.

Anyway..
    Sculpting is pretty much similar, imo, in both programs so I'll just ignore that.

Mudbox:
    + Easier to learn. (Is what I think)
    + True texture painting.. as in you actually paint on pixels/texels.
    + Ptex, no need for UV's for high resolution models.
    - Needs more planning. You can't duplicate meshes and what not, you need to have every base model, except for primitives, modeled in a 3d app first.
    - Huges files with allot of submeshes can be a pain in the ass to work with, as you cant group objects.

Zbrush:
    + Harder to learn. (Is what I think)
    + Zspheres & shadowbox for quick basemeshes.
    + Less initial planning required, due to things like zpsheres, shadowbox and subtools.
    + Has allot of features like UV unwrapping, Retopo to name a few and afaik has quite a bit of handy plugins.
    - No "real" texture painting. So basically you cant paint on low poly meshes as it will apply colour to vertices.

But yeah There is probably tons of stuff I'm missing.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    You can paint on low poly meshes / their textures in zbrush by using projection master.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tju1ZZcZF5E"]ZBrush Texture Painting - YouTube[/ame]
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    I am a Zbrush user. Had a friend of mine who has been swearing by mudbox for forever and had never actually truly tried Zbrush. Just the other day he came to me and said he loves Zbrush.

It blew my mind. lol We always had compare and contrast conversations and this time he came to me and just said "yeah it is harder to learn, but sculpting is so much 'smoother' in it."

...but pretty much everything that bb0x said. If you can get past the learning curve in Zbrush I think it has more to offer at the moment.