Home Technical Talk

Source Engine Tinting Envirmeant Maps

passerby
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
passerby polycounter lvl 12
wondering if anyone knows how to tint a environment map in source engine specifically tf2 using a texture, there are commands to tint the whole map one color, but i want to be able to tint different parts of the models environment map differently.

Replies

• CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure the tint function only worked per material, not per pixel. You'd need to assign different materials to the parts of the model you want to tint different colours.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure the tint function only worked per material, not per pixel. You'd need to assign different materials to the parts of the model you want to tint different colours.

ah ya thats what i thought, wont bother with the colored tinting then.
  • Pivot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pivot polycounter lvl 6
    The hats in TF2 can be selectively tinted, I don't see why the environment textures would be any different. Maybe this would help?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Pivot wrote: »
    The hats in TF2 can be selectively tinted, I don't see why the environment textures would be any different. Maybe this would help?

Yup. $blendtintbybasealpha will let you tint the color of the model based on the alpha map in the diffuse. That's how they tinted the cars randomly in L4D2. I'm not sure that it's programmed into TF2's FGD file to be able to tint environment models per model in Hammer like L4D2 is though.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Environment map, not environment model. I.e. tinting the cubemap.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    Yup. $blendtintbybasealpha will let you tint the color of the model based on the alpha map in the diffuse. That's how they tinted the cars randomly in L4D2. I'm not sure that it's programmed into TF2's FGD file to be able to tint environment models per model in Hammer like L4D2 is though.

that would only work in the diffuse, im trying to tint the environment/cubemap, what i have is a prop that has 2 different colours of glass on it, and i want to tint the reflections on those.

sofar it looks possible to do if i was writing my own source engine mod, but not in tf2 since for a existing source game your limited to the material arguments valve gives you.
  • Pac_187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pac_187 polycounter lvl 11
    Well, you could assigne a different uv-channel to one of the meshes and point it to a different texture (use Multi/Sub material in max)
    You can still use the same base texture, because Source works with vmt files. Therefore you just have to name the vmt with the new name and in the vmt file you point it to the already existing base texture.
    In the end you have one texture and two vmt files.