Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Blizzard Environ Contest WIP!!!

Hello everyone just wanted to show some WIP for the competition!

it would be nice to get some critique!

I'm trying to decide which render looks better...

Maya Render:

Screen+shot+2012-01-14+at+6.31.58+PM.png

UDK Render:

hr.jpg

Replies

• brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    My vote is the udk version. Get rid of that black background though.. pick a subtle color the will help the other colors pop.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Your models and textures look very fitting! (can we see some texture sheets?) But the composition is cramped and visually confusing, so it is hard to tell the different meshes apart from each other. I would make the island a bit bigger, to make room for things. The water is falling diagonally, when it should be following the rules of gravity. Where is the water coming from, anyway? It's good to think about function and logic.

The flower planes for your tree are huge and super easy to tell they are planes. I would shrink them and arrange them in a more natural way. And the leaf vines you have hanging from the rocks don't really make sense. Not only do they seem too big, but again I can't tell where they are coming from. Maybe if you made them appear as if they were growing out from under or over the rocks, but right now it looks like they are sprouting from them, which is weird.

Good luck!

EDIT: I also vote for UDK, and yeah, no black bg please haha
  • Darkmaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darkmaster polycounter lvl 11
    UDK looks waaaaaaaaay better. And like jess said, no black! You don't want to lose any of your art in the abyss!