Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

High Res to Game Res Tau Mech

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Cglewis polycounter lvl 12
Tonight i started a project to take a my High Res Tau Crisis suite and bake him down to a game Res version of him. I already have the high res to tonight you'll see images of that and the start of the low poly base which ill be backing on. I'm all so playing with some design elements of the suit namely how big the shoulder mounted cannons are. the oringal size is the smaller single mounted cannon, the size im playing with is the twin mounted lager cannons. (Boarder line broadside size)
I'll be posting Edge flow on the low poly as soon as I'm done with it.

I look forward to yalls input.

High res

tau_HR6.jpg
tau_HR5.jpg
tau_HR4.jpg
tau_HR3.jpg
tau_HR2.jpg
tau_HR1.jpg

Game Res (Base)
tau_LR3-1.jpg
tau_LR1.jpg

Replies

• Bagstor
    Offline / Send Message
    Bagstor polycounter lvl 6
    so big gun!!! O_O
  • Der Hollander
    The biggest things I notice is that your silhouette feels really clunky and a lot of straight up and down where the Tau have a lot of angles, but the silhouettes tend to taper smoothly. Take another look at the Tau models and break down the larger and smaller forms.

You also have a really inconsistent level of detail for the model, lots of small areas that are super dense in detail, other areas are kind of cobbled together with no real structural rhyme or reason. The gatling guns don't make any kind of thematic sense on top of them just looking like a present day minigun, which I find really detracts from the piece.

Last but not least, almost all of your modelling is straight 90 degree angles, which will not bake out well in a normal map. Steeper angles cause a shallower line in the normal map, making the height difference look negligible.
  • gsokol
    Der Hollander pretty much summed it up.

Did you come up with the design on your own or is it based on a reference? The design of it could use some work.

The super big gun...I'm not a fan. That thing would throw the weight of the mech off so terribly, it'd be difficult just for it to stand.

The high poly just is not at a good spot yet. There are faceted areas all over, and like Der Hollander said, having 90 degree extrusions will not bake well at all. You have to taper those things.

I would suggest you consider working more on the high poly and doing some more work/rework to it before you do the low poly.
  • mr gelmir
    Offline / Send Message
    mr gelmir polycounter lvl 10
    also, your model has a gap down the middle. just put all those vertices on the same plane as your pivot, because the symmetry isn't welding them. Also, looking at design, I have yet to see a tau gatling gun... Try somthing more like these:
    Tau_XV8_Battlesuits.gifTau_XV88_Broadside_Battlesuit.gif

Also, like Der Hollander said, your model is missing that Tau style, the smoothness, the japanese-styled armour. Keep up the work!