Home Technical Talk

rigging wrists for game characters

hey guys, I'm wondering if you have any thoughts about rigging the wrists up for game characters. When using biped I have the hand as a separate floating object that rolls inside a ball socket which is the end of the forarm. If you wanted it to be seamless, would you need to have another bone or something?

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would probably cut off the biped hands and use custom bones. The pivots for biped hands are incredibly hard to place in an exact place and orientation because changes up the arm, effect the hand placement, there isn't a "bone edit mode" for biped like there is for standard bones and CAT.

To position a biped hand you have to guess wildly while rotating and scaling the bicep and forearm bones, which just doesn't give anyone the precise control to align a biped hand into a ball socket.

It would be nice if biped hands broke off from the forearm but they don't.

It would also be nice if they could be positioned like CAT bones or regular bones in "Bone edit mode" where each bone can be placed independently and the scale isn't locked forcing the other bones in the hierarchy to move and shift.

You might want to select the biped hands, click Tools > Snapshot.

That way you copy the hands and their pivot positions but you can then turn them into reguar bones (Animation menu > Bone Tools > Bone Tools floater > Object Properties rollout > Bone On) That will make them easier to place and align without having to worry about the rest of the arm.

You can also use Animation > Bone Tools > Bone Edit Mode to place the pivot for each finger bone, something I really hate doing with biped and only using scale and rotation... grr...
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that is interesting. I started using biped at work because it seems to accomodate my needs better, with copying animations between bipeds easily. But getting back into custom rigs at home has kind of gotten me excited to do that more. You can control things a lot better with a custom rig.

thanks for the ideas!
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I dont have any real trouble positioning biped hand bits - I start from the shoulder and think in terms of orientation rather than position

in this case I'd use a dummy/point helper positioned exactly where i wanted the hand pivot and align the hand joint to it while scaling the forearm bone

I'm all in favour of building custom rigs but doing it properly is a big jump up from using biped and not a task to be taken lightly.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're still doing this:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpKdXS_1XlI"]FRIENDS - The Giant Poking Device - YouTube[/ame]

Even if you use the align tool on the wrist to move its position to a point and the bicep and forearm scale allows you to get there, it won't match rotation. It also, throws your elbow out of whack. You spend a lot of time dancing around all 3 joints. Each time you tweak one it messes up the others, you keep refining it until it gets close enough, which just won't work for mechanical characters.

A little imprecision at the rigging stage almost always comes back to haunt you later when animating. In the case of a ball joint, its probably going to wobble unless its matches mathematically.

Other systems like CAT and bones, you just move the elbow and align each joint, it adjusts the scale of the bicep and forearm automatically.
    CAT_Elbow.gif

I wouldn't personally use CAT, its too buggy and the IK setup is less user friendly, but it illustrates the point well. You don't need to go full on custom rig, just replace the hands with copies of the biped hands. After they are properly aligned, precisely, you can link them to the biped forearm and they behave like regular biped hands.

They could also solve the problem by allowing the hands to be "torn off" like you can do the spine, clavicles and the neck.
  • dproeder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dproeder polycounter lvl 5
    The hardest part about rigging wrists is making sure the forearm doesn't "bowtie" Don't know how much you know about it, but twist deformers in Maya help keep deformation along the wrist to the elbow gradual and more natural. There are a lot of good tutorials out there. "The Art of Rigging" is where i started, but that was 4 years ago. Maybe they have updated.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a good point about the twist bones. Biped and CAT have them built in, but it's important to know how to set them up manually. But for his mechanical example the wrist sounds like a ball joint so only the hand rotates.
  • dproeder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    I usually put one or two extra joints along the lower arm, and use them to taper the wrist twist, otherwise you get the "bowtie" that dproeder mentioned. In Maya you can do this and still use IK's. Might be possible in Max to do the same?
  • dproeder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde wrote: »
    I usually put one or two extra joints along the lower arm, and use them to taper the wrist twist, otherwise you get the "bowtie" that dproeder mentioned. In Maya you can do this and still use IK's. Might be possible in Max to do the same?

Yeah me too. I usually use expressions on that forearm joint. As I turn the wrist 100%, the forearm turns with it at 33% of the same rotation.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde wrote: »
    Yep. But for the most part people stick to biped and CAT that have them built in, still good info to know.

You can even go stretchy limbs if you really want to go nuts.

The way biped handles IK is different than standard IK. It's all handled on a single set of bones there aren't multiple rigs with blending and snapping. The system lets you drag the hand around and then rotate it by interacting with the exact same object, it's a great little system and one Naught Dog spent some time mimicking in Maya. With biped you stick the hands or the feet to world space or another object if you want, instead of a IK target and blending.

It's a bit hard to explain but once you use it, its kind of hard to go back to the old IK set up, which is my beef with CAT it uses the IK blending...
  • dproeder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep. But for the most part people stick to biped and CAT that have them built in, still good info to know.

You can even go stretchy limbs if you really want to go nuts.

The way biped handles IK is different than standard IK. It's all handled on a single set of bones there aren't multiple rigs with blending and snapping. The system lets you drag the hand around and then rotate it by interacting with the exact same object, it's a great little system and one Naught Dog spent some time mimicking in Maya. With biped you stick the hands or the feet to world space or another object if you want, instead of a IK target and blending.

It's a bit hard to explain but once you use it, its kind of hard to go back to the old IK set up, which is my beef with CAT it uses the IK blending...

So does the industry rely on these automated rigs now? Or are these programs used for quick setups mainly?
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    The rigging section of the TAO forums fave been very busy lately: ( choc full of good info )
    http://tech-artists.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11

Particularly, follow the links on this thread discussing wrist forearm twisting:
    http://tech-artists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1822
    [vv]26681999[/vv]

Have you checked out the rigging dojo yet?
    http://www.riggingdojo.com/live/broadcast-archive-rigging-dojo-live/
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dproeder wrote: »
    Yeah me too. I usually use expressions on that forearm joint. As I turn the wrist 100%, the forearm turns with it at 33% of the same rotation.
    Character Studio/Biped has been around for a long time, since Max3 I think. There have been a lot of improvements over the years and because its been so widely used it's pretty solid and battle tested. Biped has a really robust motion mixer which blows maya's standard trax editor away. It is also very very easy to apply motion capture to.

In the past studios using Maya would end up having to custom script or buy plug-ins that do all of that stuff.
    HOWEVER Maya has humanIK now and its pretty awesome. It's like they took MotionBuilder and stuffed into Maya. So if you're a Maya user you should look into HumanIK, it has a few bugs and could use some more features but its pretty awesome and its better than trying to go it alone with bones and old school rigging techniques from the 90's.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    on the subject - there's an combined FK/IK solver plugin available for max so you can get biped like functionality on a standard bone chain..
    (Biped's been around since max 2)

dproeder
    It's standard practice to make use of things like biped/CAT/Puppetshop/and so on to drive your actual deformation rig. Keeping a layer of separation between the skinning and the animateable objects means you can chop and change whenever you need to as well.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    What's the difference between twist-links and just weighing all the verts to the hand-bone, and fading the weight out as it goes up the arm towards the elbow?
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    What's the difference between twist-links and just weighing all the verts to the hand-bone, and fading the weight out as it goes up the arm towards the elbow?

Twists really prevent the volume loss when the forearm twists. It's constrained to an axis.

What that essentially breaks down to is: if you skin it to the hand bone, and you decide to BEND the hand at the wrist forward or back, half your forearm would bend with it.