Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Bombed Brownstone house

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
Okay! So I finished my last project after an insane amount of time! But the I really got a energy boost of finishing it up, so I'm jumping straight onto the next one!

I will be using this panorama for reference and concept. It's done by http://www.3t-studios.com. I've asked for there permission to use there scene just now. So I'm waiting and hoping for them to OK it. Otherwise I will delete this thread.

hugebuilding1.jpg

This time I want to do stuff right. Plan stuff out, meet deadlines, be efficient and smart in my modeling and texturing and most importantly keep things modular (I will be doing hard variations on stuff and use them just once, but use the first module as a base) and maybe do something even bigger with this in the future.

I started of by separating materials and objects trying to completely wrap my mind around this.

MaterialDefSheet.jpg

THE plans this far
  • I'm planning on using a vertex color blend shader for the plaster with bricks as a base.
  • The concrete pieces will be handled with a simplified version of the one showed by Timothee "roosterMAP" Yeramian. I will be making debris and such with this. It would be easy to make some other props like roadblocks and what not to.
    Concrete.jpg
  • Make use of decals for leakage, cracks and bullet/explosion holes.
  • As shown in the material definition image i will be adding a floor of some sort into the house. I think it will be a wooden floor with beams sticking out. Or just concrete with damaged pieces handing from it..
  • Right now I think I'm going to use UDK since I have some limited knowledge about it already. But the looks of CE3 is a bit tempting I have to say.

I have a tendency to do stuff more complex then they really are, like zbrushing flat plaster, so I will only be using zbrush were i feel i greatly benefit from it.

I will also try to document everything I'm doing in the highest possible way. I know how much I would've liked a thread like this when I just started with environments and stuff. I'm far from mastering this kind of stuff, but from everything you, Polycount, have teched me i know that i can make this into an interesting thread for all of us ;)

I'm highly encouraging you to ask questions

Next up is a whitebox, a time plan and some texture planning!

Replies

• sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i started boxing out the house to get a feel for it. This screen is a few hours old so the house will be plus 32 units in width. The window and door module is 12*12, the top is 2*12 and the base 2*12 (which I just realized doesn't add up).

Measurements.jpg

I've also started to plan the textures. The texel density is 64px/unit.
    This is the textures i got so far. I think i can get some foliage in there somewhere to..
    • plaster - 1024^
    • Bricks - 512^
    • Concrete - 1024*512
    • Fence - 128^
    • Pretty much everything else - 512*2048

TextureSheet_A.jpg

Other then that I've started to outline the time estimation, can't say I'm very good at that..

This is what should be done for every object and texture
    • Window and door - simple HP
    • Topportion - simple HP
    • Base - CB and PS
    • Sidewalk - ZB
    • Cornerstones - Simple HP, not sure..
    • Plaster - PS and CB
    • Concrete/damaged concrete - PS and CB/ZB
    • Bricks - ZB
    • Plank - ZB, not sure...
    • Fence - Simple HP
    • Streetlamp(s) - HP for the lamp, maybe for some more details to.
    • Wire and support thingys from the concrete (WTF is the name of them?) - Simple HP
    • Debri and shit - ZB
    • Floor planks and beams - PS and CB
    • All the decals - PS and CB, exccept the bullet holes, ZB..
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gibson543 polycounter lvl 13
    seems like a fuckin solid plan man, good luck with the execution
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great plan so far, good luck!
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    whats CB stand for?

Though good plan, looks very promising, and it is nice you planned out your texture usage in advanced.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    the more you plan the easier this gets, great job already!
  • SINtuition
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good plan! Keep us updated as you go.

Passerby:cb is crazybump
  • smedjeback
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    smedjeback polycounter lvl 13
    Sounds lika a plan!
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm really trying to be organized here, so the planing is a big part for this. Anything you see as strange or faulty, just point it out! Thanks for the replies guys :)
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn't got that much done today. Maybe there will be some more later tonight.

Anyhow, I jumped straight onto the concrete thingy course I was curious how it would work. The damage is done in Zbrush, so that part got normals. The flat concrete didn't get any yet, since it's just a photo from CGtextures atm. This is how that looks. Not super happy with the damaged part. I think I'll think some more on it and visit it later :) And yes, i have a seam in there. Though that's only in the diffuse though, like I said, it's more of a test :)

DamagedConcrete_WIP_1.jpg

DamagedConcrete_texture_WIP1.jpg

And I've done a better blockout. Problems and possibilities is flying over here! :D

Whitebox_render.jpg

tumblr_lrjfbfRhyd1r37btso1_500.jpg
  • sebi3110
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, I like your organisation so far :)
    But was it intended to make such lowres textures for the concrete pile? its really blurry and details vanished, cant even notive zbrush detailing there ;)

Good luck with this promising project, I will keep an eye on it.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, yes and no :) You'r never going to be that close for it to get blurry.

I started on the bricks that will be under the plaster. The sculpt is done and i tried to use the textures from zbrush, but i got two nasty seams on all of them so i don't think i can use them this heavily.. This is what I've done since the last post..

Bricks_HP.jpg
    Bricks_WIPtexture.jpg
    Bricks_Render_WIP.jpg
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This toke a bit to long, now it's finished though..

Bricks_Render_WIP2.jpg
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This shit is like spam! Some more of to days work! Finally got the vertex blend shader to work almost like i want it.

I'm planing on doing the plaster into a gray texture and just multiplying it in UDK instead. Maybe add a dirt/grime and a leaking layer in the shader. Right now I have one channel for the thorn parts and an other for the cracks, but since they should show up as falloff from the thorn pieces i could bake them together.

Feels good to get into UDK again!

And yes, I'm going to do a better splatter map. I have zero gradients atm. I'll play around some and see.

VertexBlendShader.jpg
  • jetskee96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How did you texture the bricks?
  • GabrielP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GabrielP polycounter lvl 7
    lookin good, got me interested
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I sculpted out the bricks, as shown in the image.

Rendered out cavity, highlights, a soft shaded map, AO and a normalmap from Zbrush. Also baked AO and Normalmap from xnormals.

Setting the cavity to overlay, highlights to lighten (removed everything darker then 50% gray), soft shade as a base and AO as multiply.

Then I toke a brick texture from cgtextures I thought had a nice contrast and color. Did a smart blur, removed everything but the bricks and did a padding on it. That gave me a solid color layer that I set to blend with the shaded texture.
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    ↑ That, right there, is helpful ↑

Thank you sltrOlsson, your organisation is inspirational. :)
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If it would add some sense or make things clearer i could do a small breakdown chart for the above? Again, I know how much small stuff like that can help.

As a disclaimer all of the techniques i use are mixes of different ones gathered on polycount and in tutorials. They're in no way my own :)
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    A chart would be wonderful, cheers!
  • sebi3110
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A chart would be wonderful! :)
    /subscribed
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 polycounter lvl 9
    Hah, I see you've grown a ton since I've been around! Very good stuff.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hope this makes sense :)

BricksBreakdown.jpg

In other news I got an email from the company producing the panormas, and no i can't use it. So what I will to is just keep this image in my head as insperation and use the planing and what not I've allready done for this and apply it to something similar.

I'm thinking of a little wider house, different windows and stuff. Maybe a "concrete-garden" and a house that have been hit by a nuke, which haven't exploded. I'll see if i can draw something up later. Right now there's life poke on my attention.
  • cdevens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cdevens polycounter lvl 7
    I may be mistaken, but if this is just a personal project and not a commercial project, they can't tell you that you can't base a model off of one of their products. You have credited the source and are just doing a model, as long as you aren't selling the likeness I don't think there is anything they can do.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure it isn't, it's i don't want to be an arse to the artists who made it :) There's not that much I'll be scapping anyways.
  • Bertmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bertmac polycounter lvl 17
    nicely going and some good information. Keep it up
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Samfisher84 polycounter lvl 9
    Awww cool, so that was what that wall was for! nice planning! good luck
  • jetskee96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the explanation. I am definitively saving this conversation.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Aww shii, here we go!

Can't wait for more updates!
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Nice organization skills! The textures look good! Not quite there yet but keep working, don't forget to show us your material node setup ;)!
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right now I'm sitting on a caf
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    sltrOlsson wrote: »
    not being able to continue course they don't want me to use there work for reference

That's... pretty fucking lame. Imho, you change up the silhouette a bit and you're good to go, considering their model is effectively a representation of existing architecture. I mean really, that strikes me as pretty fucking lame of them.

Whatever the case, there's plenty of good brownstone reference available so you don't need to let your already-done work go to waste. Looking forward to more updates, and good luck with the class enrollment!