Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bed Room [need help and advice on materials]

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
Hey folks,

a few of you might recognize me, i have posted a little here and there, but am a little fish. I'm trying to improve myself in using the Max and VRay combo, but am kinda stuck with the materials.

For my life (i am working way too long on this one already) i cant make it look nice.
Everything looks like plastic.
And i already tried lots of stuff on my material. I put fresnel falloffs in various diffuse slots, some fake sss stuff in the roses and the milk glass of the lamp and stuff like that. But everything lacks material definition.

How do I brake this barrier?
I want to move on with this piece...
I'm gratefull for any tips, but please be kind to me :\

Please note that i cranked up the noise on this WiP, wont be in the final. Same goes for the irradiance map.
schlafzimmer_wip_17.jpg

Replies

• R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Work on modifying the spec of the material and using spec maps.
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what kind of spec map should i use for plastic (the door) or the paint (on the furniture)
    glass needs no specmap i think?
    and most of the rest is cloth...

i could use one on the floor, thats right! thank you for that
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Here's a thread I found on texturing plastic. Maybe it could be of some help.
  • mr gelmir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr gelmir polycounter lvl 10
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=specular+map+plastic

tutorials always come in handy. Cool start of your 3D work, keep it up!
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And here's a character made by Hazardous wearing pretty matte cloth clothing. Specular maps look pretty dark to me, in general.
  • sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13
    Like others have mentioned I think your main problem here are spec maps. Specular maps control how much light bounces off of different materials and helps differentiate cloth from metal, plastic from wood, etc.

Here's the mother of all specular explanations that helped me immensely: http://www.manufato.com/?p=90
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the hints...
    i did not yet implement specmaps at all, you are totally right.

tonight i wont be able to work on this anymore, but i will try to incorporate some new stuff tomorrow.
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey folks, I thought i'd bump this up.
    Had a hard time the last couple days, had an operation, but everythings fine.

i mostly worked on the bedsheets and working into spec maps.
    i do think its a lot better now.

Updates to come: tapestry, the hanging lamp, the shoes and the floor. I also have an idea on the window of the door.
    schlafzimmer_wip_18.jpg
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey folks... After rendering a few regions i was pleased with the effect achieved, but somehow it didnt actually affect the pics overall presence. What am I doing wrong?
    Please... I cant see this anymore, I want it to be finished...
    HELP ME...

Here is the pic and the spec maps:
    schlafzimmer_wip19_post.jpg
    bettdecke_specular.jpg
    paint_specular.jpg
    all painted objects, like the bed

laminat02_specular.jpg
    the wooden floor

doorwindow_spec.jpg
    the window in the door
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey folks, new update comming in.
    would someone please help me pushing this piece?

or shall i be calling this one done? i would like to move on to other projects, i have learned a lot of this one and i think it doesnt hurt your eyes upon viewing, so i would say its a finished piece of art. :)
    unless someone has some killer tips or crits for me...

schlafzimmer_wip19_post02.png
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well for a second there I thought this was a picture!
    Realy impressive progress, I love what you did here. Can't wait to see what you have planned for the future. :)
  • Cheathem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheathem polycounter lvl 6
    well your bump map on the wall and ceiling are to intense.and i would add a spec map on the clothes bin on the right side of the photo,your bed sheets looks alot like plastic,and the green carpet looking thing is to vibrant and prickly.
    thats i think is wrong,looks very nice though!
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey, thanks for the kind words, you two!

i am actually right now reworking some things. as suggested i changed the cloth bin to be out of an anistrophic metal. i also toned down the carpet and the wall bump. i worked on the flowers just a little, giving them a little more contrast between light and dark areas.
    i changed a little stuff here and there, too, but they had an unnoticeable impact.. >.>

i'm still struggling with the fabric materials though. i did add spec maps to them. and i looked at jessica's link and tried to make some compareable spec maps. but i dunno, still doesnt look like it.

i wont change the structure of the carpet though, sry. i actually got one just like this (no pattern though) where i live. i was pretty pleased how the structure came out :D
    please take that as a personal preference...
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey folks, reworked aomse stuff and toned down the postwork, as suggested several times outside of this forum. any crits? i think its getting better and better :)

schlafzimmer_wip20_post02.jpg
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, looks amazing now! I think the lighting really did it :) I would say this is good to go, except a nitpick - I forgot what it's called, but the little rainbow lines around everything - I would pull them back just a tad because it is making everything a little too fuzzy right now. Nicee work
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    the little rainbow lines around everything

what is up with that effect? it's become the new lens flare...

the scene looks cool.
  • Daniel Doerksen
    i do arch vis for a living these days and looking at the image i can suggest a few things.

first drop or severely reduce the bloom/glare. you dont wanna see that it draws your eye unless this is a very conceptually stylized image id strongly suggest removing it. it would seem theres window coming from behind u, have the sun coming from there, maybe filter light through a tree. casting blurred shadows on the wall. The biggest problem i have with this image is your color mapping.. its horrendous. i dont know what your using to render this image if its vray i can help iray or others not so much. pretty much looks like your camera is set up to take a picture outside... make sure your camera settigns are around a fstop of 5 and a iso 100 film speed of about 40...

in short, way to much black/darkness in the image
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey folks, thanks for your comments!

@jessica: thank you for the kind words, still trying to push it a little further, though... I will, as you said, tone the "rainbow" down :)
    Its just a post effect.

@alberto: its "chromatic abberation", a lens effect. thanks for the nice words :)

@daniel: yes, please help me! i am using vray for max, so that fits perfectly! ;)
    i will once again tone down the post production effects i added, but i fear to loose some of the mood. i'll try with less and wait for your comments.
    or do you really mean "remove" as in delete? because i thought the effects pull the image together and make it consistent.

there is a window to the left of the image and the balcony, not more.
    the vray sun is actually almost shining into the door, i thought it'd be an ice touch to have the light streak on the bed. i will upload a a smaller pic with worse render settings to see if i can get a better light setup.

also i might, if u insist, change the camera from the standard cam to the vray pühysical one... thx for the comment!

also i want to revert the curtain, i think it looks better in the render before the last...
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey folks...
    dunno, i dont get really that muhc attention...
    should i stop posting? is this scene so unappealing that noone wants to post?? or should i look for another forum?

whoever is interested though, i rearranged the right half of the room, as suggested outside of this forum. i've changed the camera and that was an ace hint, thank you very much, daniel.
    looks a lot better already :P
    i'm trying to remake the bedsheets to be more fluffy (model wise) and i want to make a new curtain. also i am going to make use of a little script a tutorial linked me to, to actually extrude the floor panels a little.

[this is just a screen grab:]
    screenshot01.jpg
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey folks, i thought i'd bump this up for some more helps and crit!

i did no post production on this one, also i blended out the carpet and redid the bed cloth and curtains:

schlafzimmer_wip21.jpg

what i dislike is the bed cloth material, it looks like plastic, also the lighting isnt final, i will make it brighter overall...
    or any other ideas and thoughts?