Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Weird Dragon - 2d/paint advice

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
Hello,

I´ve done some painting this end of the year. A very weird dragon...for some weird reason too.
But I kind of liked it, but got stuck.
Don´t know what to do with the background and I would like to push myself further since I got this far with him.
Normally I would call it done, but probably you guys could give me some ideas.

weird%20dragon.jpg

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    That's done, slap it on my desktop and move along, that's awesome.
  • JonathanF
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanF polycounter lvl 13
    AWESOME!! the first thing that bugs me is the two spikes at the bottom on his tail. They look flat. your white highlight on the tail is going over them and merging them to much. make it pop more with a nice strong highlight and dont have them faded looking.... having them like the claws on his feet maybe would be nice. As for the background.. maybe do a skyrim thing where this is the retarded dragon of the bunch. I dont know, just a thought. seems like everyone is doing a skyrim thing these days. :p
  • slipsius
    first reaction is "AWESOME!"

second reaction "You better model this!"

third reaction.... I see an inconsistency in quality throughout the painting. Some parts, like the skin / main body, are really detailed and almost look real. Nice and 3d looking. But then the spikes on the tail and the head seem really flat. The sky background looks very fuzzy and muffled and takes away from the overall affect. Overall, it looks awesome, but seeing the really good parts of the painting make it known that you can push this so much further and make it outstanding.

edit: just read that you wanted ideas for the background.... What if you made it look like he was inside of an aquarium, where it is the pet of some kid. Just looks like he is sitting at the glass being all durrrrr.
  • fabio brasilien
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! Good you liked.
    I also want to call it done. I have no real reason for work on that except fun. (ok...fun is a great reason) And it is getting at one point that is not fun anymore...
    But I think this is a good chance to learn from it.

I´ve tried to fix what you guys said and I realy liked the "pet idea"

2j35xew.jpg

What you guys say about it?
    Then I am thinking of adding some small recognizable element next to him, fix the tree and make a better transition between the glass and the ground.
    At this point his pose is realy annoying me, but...
  • fabio brasilien
    Offline / Send Message
    Acctualy...got bored.
    I don´t see much why I am spending time now on that...I am not realy painting anything.
    Just doing "photoshop art"
    Once again...no background...just a single and sad character.
    again...any feedback, crits ideas still welcome

:)

2mfgdqw.jpg