Home Technical Talk

Modo UV's

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Prophet polycounter lvl 11
Hello,

I've been trying to make UV's with a proportion like 512x256 in Modo, but couldn't quite get it right. Is there any way to make this properly?

Thanks! :)

Replies

• Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you select a non-square texture in your Images tab, you can tick "Use Image Ratio" in the UV viewport's "Options" dropdown menu and it'll match it.
  • Prophet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, but coundlt find that. Is this what you mean?

40896446.png

I want to export the UV's in that proportion so I can use it in Unity without stretching all the texture.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, that doesn't matter. The engine or 3D program will handle that automatically.

Setting the UV viewport to be rectangular rather than square is simply for the benefit of whoever is unwrapping the model - it doesn't have any effect on the model or it's UVs.

If you're trying to export a non-square UV for texturing in Photoshop then select your UV map in the Lists panel, then go to Texture > Export UVs to EPS as you normally would. When you load up the EPS file in Photoshop, you can set it's dimensions on import.
  • Prophet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, but that doesn't work either. Just to be sure, here's a reference image:

uvst.png

How can you make this 512x256 without stretching or anything? I dont know if I'm making myself clear. :(
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, I see.

Firstly you'll want to set the Action Centre to Origin.

Then bring up the scale tool and scale them 200% in the V axis.

You can then apply a 2:1 ratio texture to it (i.e. 512x256) without any stretching.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don´t forget that in this case the uvs of that box must be inside the top or bottom half of the uv space, and only then you can scale it to 200% to fill the remaing half.
  • Prophet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That works! Thanks for the tip!

Is this the only way to do this right? There isn't some tool that you can tell to put the UV's not square or something like that, right?
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think if you set the UV view to be non-square before you start unwrapping (using the "Use Image Ratio" option, then you'll get the correct results straight away.