Home Technical Talk

Building a portfolio website?

nfrrtycmplx
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
I'm learning the new HTML5 standards along with JavaScript and CSS3... and thought it would be incredibly useful to document the stuff I learn...

I find having a knowledge of web development helps immensely with creating interesting and unique pages for portfolios... I can't tell you how many times I've loaded up a carbon made portfolio or something like it and was like, "ugh... another one"

I don't know how anyone else feels about it, but I very much prefer portfolios that are actually made by the artists presenting the work... just shows a bit more initiative...

So with that said, If you're interested in learning with me, you can check out my blog:

http://nfrrtycmplx.blogspot.com

I put it in technical talk because it's mostly code stuff...

and even if you're using a WYSIWYG to generate your portfolios... or a portfolio generating website like carbon-whatnot... it's still useful to know some of the stuff that goes into making a website work.

Anyway, I hope you find this useful, and if you don't, feel free to share why :).

The blog is going to be an ongoing brain dump of the stuff I learn about web-devlopment techniques and tricks... so if you're not into it now, you may be later!

Cheers,
D

Replies

• passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    is there really much to learn in html5 and css3, since all the old functionality is there from html4 and css2, just some added things like canvas, video/audio support, and things like gradients and image borders.

also if your a 3d artist, you site is really there to present your work, so it should be upfront and center, you don't want to make the person who is reviewing the work have to click through a bunch of stuff, or wait for things that aren't directly related to the art load.

just want something simple and clean and fast to browse, it is also a very good idea to have your name and website embedded in all your portfolio images, since it is common practice for people to just save images to there harddrive, of things they liked, and that way if they come back to those images weeks later, they can still figure out whos they are and how to contact them. (if you wanted to get advanced could always have a php image up-loader taht resizes image to fit the page well and adds a banner with your details on it.)

also html5/css3 aren't the standard yet so better to stick with the old markup and support more browsers.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Just don't get caught up in how cool all the bells and whistles are and forget the purpose of a portfolio site. Sure, there is always room for some slicker implementation of subtle features, but "oh no, another simple portfolio site" is the wrong attitude to have. Simple and clean portfolio sites are preached on here because they are the best way to show off your work and get a job, and many people on here are in positions to review portfolios and know what they need to see.

Not saying you shouldn't have a cool website, but just remember that employers are the intended target and all they care about is the art.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    ya you want the content to catch the eye, good example is Predator site when i look at it, that RA flak cannon catches my eye before i notice anything about the site design.

Nice HP work btw
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for your opinion guys... If this isn't something useful to you, that's cool.

I'm just learning this stuff, and thought I'd share it with the group.

I like looking at pretty portfolios... if someone presents their work in an effective way that is creative and aesthetically pleasing, that's a plus for me when reviewing portfolios, because it means they're not only good at pushing polygons around the screen, but they also have some design sensibilities and interests outside of making 3d models for games.

I just wanted to share something with the group that I'm working on in a way that may relate to something others are interested in doing.

and to answer your question about whether or not there's a lot to learn about CSS3 and HTML5... Yes, if you don't know anything about it, there is a lot to learn.

And I agree with passerby, your modeling skill level is pretty high... nice stuff in your portfolio.

Happy new year, and enjoy 2012!!!