Home General Discussion

How to get the perfect Xmas Family Photo

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
Hey guys just wanted to share with you what I did last night for the family photo. I am sure any of you who have tried have realized it can be almost impossible to get everyone to look their best, let alone smile, for a single shot.

I am curious as to how many of you actually do the same for your family photos.
Here is a little bit of a break down of what I did.

Top to Bottom; Left to Right

Me, My GF, Friend?, Brother in Law, Little Sister's BF, Little Sister, Older Brother 1, Aunt
Dad, Mom, Nephew, Older Sister, Niece, Older Brother 2

01.jpg

Christmas_Family_2011.jpg

There are 3 Photoshop errors that I didn't catch. Finished at 6am... but it isn't anything the family will notice.

1) This is a "friend" of my older brother 2. Whole family met her that day. We will probably never see her again... Don't know why she wanted in the "family photo." Older Sister was initially upset she was in the photo so I said I would see what I could do.

2) The best photo out of all the ones we took and my little sister was sticking her tongue out... So I swapped her head out.

3) Older Brother was upset his belly was popping a little more in this picture. So got rid of the wrinkles in the shirt to get rid of that. He also had a stain on his chest that bothered me.

4) Aunt had a good smile but she was leaning her head back. Swapped her head out.

5) Niece was picking at her face... Swapped her completely out.

6) Filled in my Mom's hair here just for a prettier look.

7) We needed to be moved over and you can see the camera remote in my hand.

8 ) GF didn't like her photo. Picked a better one.

9) Did a tad bit o' cleaning on the curtain.

10) Brother in Law had an eagle on his shirt that was bothering me. Also had to rebuild his sleeve after cutting (1) out.

Outside of that, some color tweaking, levels, wrinkle clean up, cleaned the glares off of glasses, moles, ect.

Would love to see what you guys have done :)

Replies

• Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I find this... a little disturbing personally. No offence. Swapping heads out... just doesn't sit right with me.

Surely family photos are about capturing a moment, and not looking our absolute best?

Good call on removing your brothers 'friend' though, hideous beast! :D

Really good photoshop skills though. Seamless, I'd say.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Great PS skills but completely misses the point of a family photo imo. Sure editing out someone who isn't family, fair enough, but 'perfect' photos should be taken in a studio not at christmas.

We always do xmas, new years, holidays abroad etc with another family so theres 9 of us, 5 kids. Not once have we had a perfect group photo and theres no way i would change that. For example this year my friends dad was wearing the hat from his cracker upside down, just a little extra memory to take away.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Nicely done, and if it's meaningful to your family that's fucking baller. What's the point of having a skillset if you can't use it to benefit the people who matter most to you?

Personally i do feel like a 'fake' family photo is pretty weird, but props!
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SupRore wrote: »
    and if it's meaningful to your family that's fucking baller.

:) that was kinda my mentality. This is something my oldest sister will probably be making a calendar or card out of to send to people and they were blown away by it so it did mean a lot to them.

lol yeah I agree it is disturbing. Though it is more common than you realize. It is something we see across magazines and ads everywhere and people think that that hyper realism is "realistic." I don't think anything I did is too far out of reach if you were to hire a professional photographer. I just saved myself about 1500. :D

We had about 15 of these pictures and I was just pulling heads from what was already there. Didn't necessarily change anyone. Sorry it disturbed you guys ;) Just thought it was interesting.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Whoa, that's pretty good photoshop skills :0
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    I used to work for a studio where i did this for high school pictures....

imagine having to Photoshop out, freckles, braces, scars, tan lines, adding kids into pictures. Most disturbing type of work i've ever done.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I used to work for a studio where i did this for high school pictures....

Whoa! See now that is what I am talking about. Never would have known that this type of thing was done for high school pictures. They left all of that on me for my high school pictures :( lol

Thanks Jessica ;)
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    I love it!

I once volunteered to help my woman-at-the-time's brother with his wedding video. It was basically a 30-minute photo montage of hundreds of pictures of all of their family they played at the wedding. I went through almost every single one and did the same sort of work with cleaning stuff up, cropping people out, even a little lipo here and there (her sister was very self conscience about her arms...go figure) Everyone loved it.

I don't think there's anything "disturbing" about it. My god, you should see some of the most horrifying family photos from my past that my dad insists on showing the world. I would have given anything to go back and "adjust" some of those ;) Even my high school Senior picture has a giant lens flare / reflection across my glasses they didn't fix. I look like I'm staring at Jesus walking in the door.

For those like me, who have suffered through an endless amount of tortuous family photos, I give props! :)
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    looks nice so far. Haven't really zoomed on it. :)

I used to do this exact thing for a professional photo studio on group shots of various sizes. The other fun thing was adding in people who couldn't make the event shot, but came in after.. match the outside lighting as close as possible in a studio with a neutral background.. crop the person out, place in group shot either somewhere inconspicuous, or where they fit best. Hue adjust to match outdoor lighting better, paint in fake bounce lighting.. add drop shadows, paint fake bounce light from new person in scene onto people they're "standing" next to... etc.

Along with background removal/touchups etc since finding a big enough space to pose 10+ people in a house without some random lightsocket or annoying tangent of something in the background is damn near impossible.

And actually.. I just did this for a client at my day job (cause I can..) with her baby for a christmas card. She wanted a certain look, but didn't have a sharp photo with the right pose, but did have one that was close.. composite requested features and background etc for final card shot.

@Ott: oh god.. yeah painting in eyes that didn't exist due to having a badly placed light.. that was always fun too. Felt nice when the final prints looked "perfect".
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Your PS skills are flawless, indeed. But they removed the truth of the moment. Photos like this should capture a real moment for the eternity, not a fake. So, I really see no point doing this manipulation.

Let the "phantom girl" there, your little sister showing her irreverence, your old brother with his belly (maybe this make him more determined to lose it) and all those little imperfections that make us humans.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why doesn't this mentality apply to computer art?

"Oh, don't fix that seam, it captures the truth of the model and it will inspire you to do better next time." :)
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Haha this is hilarious.

FU #1
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Why doesn't this mentality apply to computer art?

"Oh, don't fix that seam, it captures the truth of the model and it will inspire you to do better next time." :)

Because your clients won't pay you a cent for your truths poly120.gif They pay you for perfection.
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
    honestly, i think thats really nice and in fact does capture the moment even better than the unedited version. i think you family should be grateful that you took your time to do this.

i mean, who doesnt want to look nice on a photo you will look at in maybe 10 years and remember that day. and you dont want to remember that girl who you met once, because she had nobody else to celebrate christmas with.

the "perfect moment" is in fact just a moment of coincidences.
    they could have been like this without shopping, too. all he did is combine all the best coincidences into one cool shot.
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    It would be one thing if this was a candid shot of the entire family opening gifts together or something, and you edited it to be "the perfect photo." This photo is a collection of family members posing for a photo, there's no real 'moment' to capture there, it's staged from the beginning, so why not stage it a little better in post.

Awesome work man, would have never noticed that it was edited had you not pointed it out.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Well done, but the faces are too bright on the edges of the photo. No way a big softbox or reflectors would fit in that tiny room! Once you see it you can't unsee it :)
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah pior is right, I tried fixing some of the minor errors, feel free to use it!

family.jpg

Edit: oh yeah I also swapped some people around for a better overal composition of the photo
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    kwakkie wrote: »
    Yeah pior is right, I tried fixing some of the minor errors, feel free to use it!

family.jpg

Edit: oh yeah I also swapped some people around for a better overal composition of the photo

dude you just made my day
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    jakelear wrote: »
    It would be one thing if this was a candid shot of the entire family opening gifts together or something, and you edited it to be "the perfect photo." This photo is a collection of family members posing for a photo, there's no real 'moment' to capture there, it's staged from the beginning, so why not stage it a little better in post.

Agreed!

I'm not the type to care too much whether a photo is 'perfect' or not, but I know a lot of family who do, so i can understand why this piece was done, and I'm sure it went over really well. Great photoshopping dude!

Just had a thought - what if that random 'friend' ends up becoming a more permanent fixture in the family? I foresee some awkward conversations in the future 'Hey, wasn't I in that picture that year...?"
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    great photoshop skills!

i come from a family where funny / embarrassing / ugly pictures are a common thing, so im with the others when I say it misses the point. but my dad did ask me to do that to one picture where it was all the girls in the family, but my sister was missing from it, so he wanted her in it. Never did get around to doing that. haha

all that being said.... I REEEAALLY hope that the "friend" you photoshopped out marries your brother and is forever in your family.. cause that would make for some awesomely awkward moments. haha
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    um
    this belongs in P&P
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Why is the GF (8) 8 ) missing an arm?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    This is pretty successfully done, still looks natural. You should erase that guy in the top left though, he ruins the whole pic man.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha Kwakkie amazing! :D
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Course it s good. Pictures don't have to capture a moment, they can capture exactly what you want them to capture.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice Kwakkie! I am so saving this.
    pior wrote: »
    Well done, but the faces are too bright on the edges of the photo. No way a big softbox or reflectors would fit in that tiny room! Once you see it you can't unsee it :)

:/ Damn. Interesting to think of it in a real lighting situation. Never would have thought to edit with something like that in mind. Very smart thinking sir.
    jakelear wrote: »

+1 Very well said.
    the "perfect moment" is in fact just a moment of coincidences.
    they could have been like this without shopping, too. all he did is combine all the best coincidences into one cool shot.

;)
    Snader wrote: »
    This is pretty successfully done, still looks natural. You should erase that guy in the top left though, he ruins the whole pic man.

So sorry man! I will get right on that!

Seems there is a fairly even split with people who would do it and not do it. Just thought I would share something with some artists. Wasn't looking for what was the morally right thing to do.

Got plenty of non fake/goofy moments I didn't share with you guys :P

We will see how you guys feel after those embarrassing New Year's pictures get out. lol
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m8MsZ.jpg

You should fix up this Christmas family photo Jeremiah lol