Home Technical Talk

Unique Trim pieces on a Tiling building

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
csprance polycounter lvl 13
Hey all
I'm trying to figure out how to go about baking and applying a decal on the corner of my wall which is a tiling texture so I can still have a unique destroyed edge on the buildings.

I'm a little unsure how I would go about baking something that's meant to tile along an edge, and maintain a crisp alpha so I can have the 256 tiling brick and the 256 tiling edge pieces which will be used to trim most of my buildings.

I haven't had that aha moment yet so any diagrams or links would be most helpful.

I remember seeing a tutorial somewhere but I can't seem to find it anymore. TO be honest, I'm not sure what I should be searching for because I'm unsure of what you would call this technique.

Thanks.

Here's a picture to clarify what I need to do.
EdgeDetails.jpg

CHris

Replies

• HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    Its called Modularity. Just Search "Modular assets" Polycount have ton loads of info on this matter.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    This might help:
    http://wiki.polycount.com/ModularMountAndBlade?highlight=%28%5CbCategoryEnvironmentModularity%5Cb%29
    In the first image where they display textures, the bottom right images shows a tiling strip like what you have.

I made a texture like that recently:
    stonecorner.png
    stonecornern.png
    I just baked these straight on, and then used geometry to bend them round a corner.
  • csprance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Hawk: Thank you, but I understand that it's called modularity. I wasn't looking for help finding the search function :)

I've created plenty of modular pieces and trim pieces. What I was looking for help on is the best way to go about baking and creating the corner trim pieces. (LowPoly Layout, AlphaMap Tips, how should I lay the blocks out so they tile vertically?)

Where I'm having trouble is every time I bake it out I have to go into photoshop and offfset and mask to make everything tile correctly. I'm wondering if there is an easier way to approach this instead of everytime I need to change something I have to rebake and edit 3 different maps to tile (DIF/SPEC/NORM and the DIF Alpha) There has to be a more efficient way.
  • csprance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @M4dCow: I never even though to bake them straight on. I was worried that I would miss the edge detail on the bricks that wrap around. I suppose it's not super important to have a those tiny details.

I'll be back with some tests.

If anyone has any other suggestions I'm all ears.

Thanks!
  • csprance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How I did it was jump inside zbrush and lay them out on the canvas then i used the ~ key to make sure everything tiled nicely and applied the NormRGB material and saved out a copy of that and applied a brick matcap.

Works exactly like i needed it too.

BrickTileStrip.jpg

For some strange reason Zbrush likes to put about 2 pixels worth of padding up at the top of the images. Annoying but easily fixable. Anyone have any ideas as to why that is happening?
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    csprance wrote: »
    @M4dCow: I never even though to bake them straight on. I was worried that I would miss the edge detail on the bricks that wrap around. I suppose it's not super important to have a those tiny details.

I'll be back with some tests.

If anyone has any other suggestions I'm all ears.

Thanks!

You can miss edge detail, but it seems a bit more versatile as a texture. You can even model in a bit of detail in the low poly to give some sort of silhouette, the mount and blade wiki link that I posted above talks abo-ut that in one of the images. I also added a drop shadow around the bricks, so they look more grounded, though the example I have is bad because it is a bit dark but illustrates the point.

As for zbrush and it's padding issue, I've never figured out those little quirks, I just set my mesh to tile in maya and sculpt individually, the bake out somewhere else. Not the most efficient, but now I can sculpt bricks and rocks pretty quickly and nicely :P
  • csprance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow wrote: »
    I just set my mesh to tile in maya and sculpt individually, the bake out somewhere else. Not the most efficient, but now I can sculpt bricks and rocks pretty quickly and nicely :P

Set your mesh to tile in maya? What do you mean by that?

The drop shadow is a great idea! Didn't think of that. Especially since I'm using an alpha to mask out the non brick parts, it will blend much better I'd imagine.

I like using the ~ in zbrush but, the only problem is I can't think of a way to render out AO? (
  • csprance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just incase anyone is wondering the way to fix the edge pixels in zbrush that just magically appear when you export the document is to render it first.

So...

zbrushpixelbugsoltion.jpg
    zbrushpixelbugsoltion2.jpg