Home General Discussion

Using existing concept art as basis for environment portfolio work

Gestalt
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Gestalt polycounter lvl 11
This is something that I've always been iffy about and never knew exactly what the consensus was or how I could search for a "standard". What is the general feeling about using preexisting concept art for modeling from, making an environment, etc to use in a portfolio?

I'd assume you would need to show the work you were basing off of and give credit to the artist, but would you also have to explicitly ask permission? Also if the image was done as work for a studio project would it still be ok to use? Would someone looking at the portfolio care that the modeling was based off a preexisting concept?

And here's the ultimatum: is it better to make your own mediocre concept to work from and have everything be from your own head or to use someone else's high quality concept (credited) as a basis and make something better looking from it?

To clarify this is all pertaining to portfolio work.

Replies

• Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If the concept art was for a commercial game then I don't think it's necessary to ask because in most cases the original artist doesn't have the right to let other people use it anyway as the studio owns the art. Personal art is a different matter entirely and I would say you should always ask before using anyones personal concept art and if they say no, just respect that. Even if it is a commercial game though, might be worth asking just to have an excuse to make contacts and talk to some cool people.

I don't think anyone cares if you based your work off an existing concept. If you use your own designs, and your designs are high quality, it will make your portfolio much more impressive. However if your designs are shitty then you're seriously hurting yourself by working off your own designs.

If you do choose to use a concept art done for an already made commercial game, I'd suggest picking environments that weren't used in the game or trying to put your own style on it. Tons of concept art gets thrown away in production because there simply isn't enough time to fit it all into the game, or they're iterative versions of designs that didn't make the cut (but are still probably way better than yours.) This kind of stuff usually ends up in the art books so that's a good place to go digging for it.

The problem with remodeling something that has already been modeled by a professional in a commercial game is that it gives the viewer a reference point and you're going to be judged in comparison to another professionals work which is not always good. But if you think you can do better, by all means...

Always credit the original concept artist, obviously. Preferably with links directly to their site/portfolio for some promotional benefits.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I'm going to say this, like I keep on telling other people:

For personal work from someone-else:

Just bloody ask! No one is going die, you're not going to catch aids, your pet dodger will not succumb to some kind of kinky virus, and the world will not end.

For personal work from another IP:
    As long as it's fan-work and you're not making profits, or selling it, it will be fine. Use GameWorkshop as you guide-line. Basically, ask yourself this: Would GW sue me if I did this?

For personal work from yourself:
    If you're not good in concept, why do you need to show it? Just model your thing and call it day, if it's based from work from you. No need to add extra lines of text and clutter information on what inspired you. You're not making an essay, make it look good. Put extra that stuff in your blog, not you final reel.
  • Gestalt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gestalt polycounter lvl 11
    It's not so much that I can't design as things get indecisive and weak without any parameters, ie portfolio work where you could make anything just for the sake of it. It's hard to keep faith in a design when it feels like you arbitrarily pulled it out of your ass. Having something to work from would help me out, but I was worried there would be something taboo about it, so thanks for some clarification.