Home General Discussion

To catch a cheating student!

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
Hey guys, think of this as "To Catch a Predator" :D

I was recently emailed by one of my old instructors from school about a student that has been turning in work from other people / tutorials / free shiz and claiming it as their own in multiple classes.

Does anyone recognize these images from any tutorial DVD or website? I was informed it may have something to do with 3DS Max Lighting, and it may have been made within the past 5 years or so.

Here are the images:
cheatingstudent01.jpg

cheatingstudent02.jpg

Happy hunting!

Replies

• Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Google and Eye turn up zero results, so it's not previewed. Not much help, but it's a start.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    just have a nice little talk to him about how cheating like that will only hurt himself and destroy his rep to the point where he will never be able to work in the industry or any other media related industry.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    passerby: I have a hard time seeing that would work, they really don't care about doing the right thing.
    And even doing it once would make me not want to hire that person.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    passerby: I have a hard time seeing that would work, they really don't care about doing the right thing.
    And even doing it once would make me not want to hire that person.

that was my point, word of this can spread pretty fast in a industry like 3d art, so he already screwed, if the student wants to try and get in.
  • JamesClarke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like it would be a VRay or Mental Ray tutorial? Doesn't look familiar though. How do they know he's cheating if they can't prove it anyway? Besides, I wouldn't let it bother me, as said above he's only cheating himself.
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    I remember finding a student in my year was following this pretty bad kung-fu panda tutorial for a 3rd year modelling module. A bit of a WTF moment. I think he might have passed the year too.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    no offence but that image isn't all that wow, i'm sure 1st year students from the course i've taken should be able to reproduce something like that (at least the ones that payed attention) . If everything is modeled by him i wouldn't really see what's wrong with using a tutorial for the lighting part for example.
    If it really is someone else's work... BURN HIM. But i find it a bit odd that there isn't real proof yet and he's already being found guilty.

also let the student turn in the scene, if it's stolen they're usually stupid enough to leave file properties in there
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    I remember finding a student in my year was following this pretty bad kung-fu panda tutorial for a 3rd year modelling module. A bit of a WTF moment. I think he might have passed the year too.

Not exactly hard to pass though is it :poly124: Otherwise my year would only have about half the people in it that it does.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    This thread isn't a debate about them being able to get a job in the industry or not. That's comes without saying.

This is at a more fundamental level than that. Students cheating and showing it off to other students in the same class is disrespectful on many accounts, and it encourages other students on the edge of failure to cheat.

So, if no one knows where it's from, then oh wells.
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    How does he know hes turning in work from tutorials, and/or cheating?

If they are from tutorials it should be easy to prove this one way or another. Just not sure why your instructor would ask you for help if he knew for sure that the student was cheating, so perhaps it needs rephrasing until that is the case.

Innocent before proven guilty and all that?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    He could have very well used one of those countless Models on DVD assets and arranged them in a box.

A wireframe render will serve people much better, since many companies tend to model in a deformity that can be used to tag back to that company.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    if its anything its stock furniture, then following a rendering tutorial. I'd just ask the kid, maybe have a class speed modeling contest see how well he does.
  • Brendan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brendan polycounter lvl 8
    He should receive disciplinary action for that floor texture.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reminds me of this step1c.png
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    I like to ask about their process, reference, construction times, previous saves etc. If they can't produce any of these they're generally ripping it.

Unless you find out exactly where they got the material from it's pretty hard to bring down the hammer. We've had students before straight up rip game models or buy them from turbosquid and turn them in. So when we cross reference and the models line up down to UV placement it's pretty much GG from there on.
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    I've never seen that image before, and I've been through nearly every V-Ray VIZ tutorial out there :P

To be honest, it doesn't look that great, reminds me of some of the stuff I did 3 months in on my first year at 3d college denmark.. Not really hard to do, simple GI setup with next to no special material properties. This is something most students can within 3-4 months of learning 3d tbh :\
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Passerby: True he is screwed.

Zpanzer: Agreed, if you are going to cheat, cheat good in this case it seams he got the wrong end of the deal, that render is not going to impress anyone(I hope).
    Apparently he used one direct light with GI, hence the complete lack of shadows and depth in other places than where the direct light hits.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    What nick said, it looks like spot3d's vray guide
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    Passerby: True he is screwed.

Zpanzer: Agreed, if you are going to cheat, cheat good in this case it seams he got the wrong end of the deal, that render is not going to impress anyone(I hope).
    Apparently he used one direct light with GI, hence the complete lack of shadows and depth in other places than where the direct light hits.

Thing is, I don't even think this is cheating.. He might have followed a tutorial that introduced him into GI and just used the techniques learned there on this own scene... I know that's what I did back when I was learning the render software.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer: Sure that's how I learned rendering too, but the topic starter said he has handed in work done by other and used free models(shiz) and that's the problem, I don't mind him following a tutorial :)
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Digital Tutors is the closest thing I can find.. I used it a long time ago and created similar images.. :)

http://www.digitaltutors.com/11/training.php?pid=2691
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    Haiasi wrote: »
    Hey guys, think of this as "To Catch a Predator" :D

I was recently emailed by one of my old instructors from school about a student that has been turning in work from other people / tutorials / free shiz and claiming it as their own in multiple classes.

Does anyone recognize these images from any tutorial DVD or website? I was informed it may have something to do with 3DS Max Lighting, and it may have been made within the past 5 years or so.

Here are the images:

Happy hunting!

Not sure how I feel about this thread. Imagine if the student finds out his/her work ended up on the internet trough the teacher who accuses him of cheating/plagiarism. This is a serious matter for everyone involved and I see this as a serious breach of student-teacher confidentiality which could have dire consequences for the teacher if the school find out. Did the instructor tell you that it was ok to post these images?
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    I have to agree with Vik on this one. I feel like the circumstances surrounding this are way more delicate than just someone ripping off your work and then putting him on the stake. Considering no one even recognizes these pictures, and he very well could of just closely followed a tutorial.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    Shouldn't there be some AO in there? I don't see any.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    I agree with Vik, this thread is a bit of WTF
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    yeah it seems untill theres at least a hint of proof that he cheated then he's inocent. and the 2 pics that posted are only similar in that they are "rooms" with "furniture"

And yea i see this whole thing as more of a shitty teacher thing than a shitty student thing. if you dont have some kind of proof dont go on public art forums trying to slander someone.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    what the fuck, telling him hes not going to get a job 0_o...

the right thing todo, if the student is already known of stealing is inform the autor of the orgiginal and provide something like a bill the artist can send the student under penalty of lecal action or stuff like that
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    It was always drilled into me during college that plagiarism was an automatic expulsion, is this not the case at this school?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What happened to show your work?

Would be hard for someone to sit down and go over the scene with the student and see if he can talk the talk?

It's not like those shots are all that great, they are right where I would expect someone in his position to be. It's not like modern furniture in a small apartment hasn't been done before. Have you seen CGSociety that's 99% of what gets posted, that's probably why it looks familiar...

I have to agree with Vik, it seems a bit dicey to be posting this stuff in a public place, unless of course you have a vested interest in selling pitch forks and torches... heh
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah I don't know about this and I'm going to lock it. I am all for exposing thiefs and cheaters but this just seems to sketchy and could do a lot more damage then good. If something else comes up then sure but as of right now..... gonna close it down.
This discussion has been closed.