Home Technical Talk

Question about workflow for simple terrains.

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
I've got a question about workflows for creating certain types of terrain.

In the first picture, you see the grass blends into the rock. You can see it in the second pic on the left as well.

So how are these sorts of terrains created in games like this? Is it just vertex blending? if it is, how do you get the perfect looking transitions.

Other thing that I wanted to ask is how do you go about modeling and unwrapping such large scale scenes like this?

Any workflows or thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.

thanks.

Skyward%2BSword%2BTimeshift%2BStone.jpg

goron01--article_image.jpg

Replies

• Pennywise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pennywise polycounter lvl 18
    Most time its done using a blend texture. Where you have your two textures blended using a grayscale texture or alpha to blend between the two.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    in the lower case I would say the grass is textured on the stone. The blending is very very sharp and you even have shadows.

Modeling big unique scene is just.. doing it. Same goes with unwrapping. If scenes doesn't need to be so unique the tile-based approach would save more time
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    There are a lot of ways to have these seamless transitions, including vertex/texture-alpha blendings, decals, special tillable textures that come with border transitions between other terrain textures (low end systems use this a lot since the shader is extremely simple, no texture blending but instead you align the texture in UVs), thirding and more, but it depends on your target engine/system.
  • elementrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elementrix polycounter lvl 15
    pretty sure both of those examples are just single textures that tile horizontally (the upper one wrapping around the column. Don't see why they would use a special texture blending shader in these cases and on the Wii.