Home Technical Talk

Beginner Question:How to sculpt eyes in Mudbox?

I'm currently learning to sculpt in Mudbox, mostly through trial and error, and came up with this head I enjoy looking at, the problem is though, how do I sculpt eyes that don't look completely fake and horrifically terrible? Is there a technique I have to learn?

EYm5q.jpg

Replies

• Tadao215
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tadao215 polycounter lvl 13
    you could start by making some eyeballs and continue to build up the eyelids around them. Generally, id scale the eyeballs big enough so that you could fit one in between more or less.
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    To expand on this particular subject a bit, is there any way to sculpt the eyelid "through" the eye? Example: You place the eyes in the socket as a separate object. You freeze the eye, then sculpt the eyelid and bring it "through" the eye. Every time I've attempted this, nothing happens. Only the "exposed" mesh will move. Is there any way to lay a stroke down and have it pull the eyelid through the eye? I know this is quite easy in zbrush, but I would love to replicate it in mudbox.
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador wrote: »
    To expand on this particular subject a bit, is there any way to sculpt the eyelid "through" the eye? Example: You place the eyes in the socket as a separate object. You freeze the eye, then sculpt the eyelid and bring it "through" the eye. Every time I've attempted this, nothing happens. Only the "exposed" mesh will move. Is there any way to lay a stroke down and have it pull the eyelid through the eye? I know this is quite easy in zbrush, but I would love to replicate it in mudbox.

I tried this technique and got the same exact issue you're talking about.Seems to me the clay underneath the eyeball can't penetrate it for some reason.
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Success! The wax tool is the most useful thing ever!

yxaru.jpg