Home Technical Talk

SeriousEngine3: Skeletal reproduction

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
leilei polycounter lvl 14
SeriousEditor3 suffers a big drawback thanks to its overprotective security system, you can't grab the skeleton you can only link to it within the model editor and there's no way to review the skeleton's bones through the editor either.

there's not a source file out there with any usable skeletons so you've got no choice but to REMAKE the skeleton with the same bone names, and then use that to apply weights on. Unfortunately the only way you'll get those bone names is to open up a skl file in notepad, since you don't even have enough credentials in the editor to make animset/animations to reveal their bone names. so much for an editor.

You'd also have to export an existing model to .RAW through the editor to get a properly sized mesh to import to make the new skeleton on, though you'll have to rotate it 90 degrees upward. You weight on it there, then export an amf (mesh format) to import. Since I did a player model I just simply opened up SeriousSam.mdl, go into the instance tab in the Model Editor and switched the mesh instance to my own mesh file which i've imported separately.

One other person did this but didn't reveal their technique, so I had to figure this out on my own. I used Blender and the AMF exporter that came out recently for it.