Home General Discussion

Intuos 3 woes

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
So, my trusty Intuos 3 tablet has stopped responding today. It was acting up last night - but has now stopped working altogether.

I use it at home and work, so it gets packed/unpacked almost every day, and I suspect that the cable near the tablet has finally cracked internally.

There's still power, and a penpress will still get a green light. There's no response on screen though, and the vertical trackpads (set to zoom) and the shoulder buttons won't respond either, so it's not just the pen.

My question is - I can solder and perform electronic repairs myself so, should I crack the case, cut off the worn section of cable and re-attach further down?

Has anyone tried this (and more importantly) been successful?

[EDIT] Forgot to add - I'll try it on a different machine later today, just in case the driver has gone funky.

Replies

• arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    get one of these
    http://www.asia.ru/de/ProductInfo/996591.html
    and an exacto
    a mini usb pinout picture
    and some hot glue
    open the intuos, cut the cord, solder the wires to te connector
    test the connection
    cut out enough space for the connector where the cable was
    glue the connector in place
    close the wacom
    ???
    profit

and ofcource get a mini usb cable
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Soldering USB cables is retardedly easy, but before you do any cutting and soldering of sorts, I would check the data/power connection lines first with a multimeter. I doubt you've damaged the PCB, but if you did somehow managed to short circuit it; you'll know right away then.
    And I speak from experience, a faulty USB connection can kill hardware, I once lost an entire mobo due to a faulty USB port causing a short circuit and frying some shit.

But yeah, checking if it's not a software thing first might be best. :D
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks Arrangemonk - that's a great strategy for avoiding wear in future.

Maph - I'm 99% sure it's cable wear. I'll be certain tonight. Re: PCB damage, I presume you mean the Mobo USB connection? I have six usb slots, and I've tried every one - with exactly the same result. Lights, power, but no data.

I'll post pics if I have to crack the case - maybe they'll help other folk.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    http://www.mactech.com/2008/09/23/itab
    this shows the disassembly of an intuos(and making of a frankensteins tablet)