Home Technical Talk

Just upgraded to windwos 7, few questions

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
MikeF polycounter lvl 19
i just switched from windows xp to 7, a few things bother me, not sure if they can be changed.

is there any way to get the "up" button back for folder browsing? all i see now are back and forward.

When i do a ctrl,alt,del, is there a way to just automatically bring up the task manager instead of the screen that presents me with an option to bringup the task manager?

Not sure why, but whenever i do a ctrl alt delete both my monitors turn off and on like the resolution is being changed, really annoying.

also, any must have tools, extensions apps etc.?

edit: also a classic control pannel would be sweet

Replies

• MadnessImport
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For the control panel look in the upper right conner where it says "View by" And change that from category to Large Icons (Small is annoying) i dont really remember what the XP Control panel look like but i assume it looks like the Large icon layout

Thee shortcut to activate Task manager only would be Ctrl + Shift + Esc but i just right click the Taskbar and Launch it through that menu

What "Up" Button do you speak of?
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks man, that helps.

i looked around and i guess it was called the "up one folder" button, doesnt apear to be an option now without a shell extension
  • MadnessImport
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahhh ok & no problem :D by Up one i thought you meant that feature thing in w7 where you click on a section in the windows address bar and it takes you back a folder or 2

Forgot to say about good apps:

A decent media player would be nice i recommend Winamp, its light on the processor/Ram it loads fast and plays media better than the default WMP plus it can play flash files and just about every format thrown into it! but its your choice AND if your a kind of person who liked there themes its also a gooddie

XnView is amazing pure amazing im on a dual core and windows photo viewer displayed photos just fine but THIS photoviewer draws them fast AF when i load an image bigger than 3kX3k it would slow down now i can load photos as big as i want without problems it feels like a light weight photoshop to me so i no longer have to open PS to crop, resize or adjust an image's color

If you need a free video converter WinFF gets my jobs done nothing special just lightweight fast and has no form of crap like all other converters

No AV Security here though it slows you down and is annoying as hell if you know what your doing then security is a waist of Hard drive space

I would make gooooood use of the libraries feature if i were you it saves my desktop from Icon clutter trash
  • Pivot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pivot polycounter lvl 6
    Yeah, there isn't an up one folder button anymore but as madnessimport said you get the same functionality by clicking the folder names in the address bar.

ibR0Gk9fVqqe5.png

There's a hotkey for going up one folder too, which is alt+up arrow. You can bring up the menu bar in folders by pushing alt (I think there's an option somewhere in the Folder Options control panel item).