Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Animation(s) C&C por favor!

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Un_Delincuente polycounter lvl 6
Hey peeps from polycount. I've been trying to work on my portfolio while applying to studios for animator positions. Im planing on updating this thread with weekly animation cycles in order to improve my animations and get some feedback from other people on stuff i should work on.

Any critiques would be really appreciated.

so first off an Angry walk

http://youtu.be/qQTBQtMl8kk

Edit: Can anyone help me embed YouTube vids in here? :P

Replies

• jipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jipe polycounter lvl 17
    It would be easier if you post a link to a h264-encoded movie file (preferably mp4) in your Dropbox folder.

As for the walk cycle:

-- stride length is way too short
    -- cycle lacks weight because the hips don't have any up/down or side to side (this is crucial for the entire cycle -- the torso and head overlap derives from your hip motion)
    -- lacking hip rotation (and the side-to-side hip rot should be reversed -- the hip on the side of the foot plant goes up when the foot lands -- the leg goes straight when it's carrying weight)
    -- middle torso doesn't move
    -- forgot up/down or side to side motion on the torso, either
    -- foot lift lacks weight, the toe has to stay planted while the heel lifts
    -- knees pointed too far out

Do you have a copy of The Animator's Survival Kit?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Im just going to list off the corrections / mistakes i see. Please dont take it as a rude comment. I just dont have time to write a huge long thing.

-hips need to rotate like the shoulders, cept opposite. right shoulder forward, right hip back.
    -torso needs compression. shoulders move but no mid torso movement. each step, the torso needs to compress (rotate forward) to add weight
    -whole body needs up and down movement. look at the hips. theres no up and down. also needs side to side to should weight transfer from foot to foor.
    -longer stepping distance will help sell the anger
    -as is, the feet dont need to come off the ground as much, and they pause for a brief moment at the start and end of each step. it should be 1 constant motion.
    -over all needs some offset. all the body parts move at the exact same time. hands should drag behind the feet

keep it up though. push it further and show us the updates.
  • Un_Delincuente
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much guys. I really appreciate the feedback. I didn't think I was that rusty lol. Im working the the critiques into the animation and I should get the render up either tomorrow or the following day.

jipe - No I don't but I know why you ask. Im pretty sure i can get my hands on a copy of it
    TeriyakiStyle - Thanks man, I wouldve never guessed that.
    slipsius - thanks and I'll make sure to keep this thread updated

Again, thanks for the critiques and Have a good Thanksgiving. :)
  • Un_Delincuente
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry guys, In the middle of fixing stuff up, my file managed to get corrupted somehow.

I started a new running cycle this time and i figured it be easier for people to critique and easier to me to fix in the key poses so here you go. I kept in mind what you guys said previously so I hope I pulled it off better this time around. Plus i used Preston Blair's Running Cycle as ref.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poiyonKBzbg"]Runign Key poses - YouTube[/ame]
    also drop box link http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4256699/blk.mov

once again thanks for the C&C