Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New to the Forum and new to the Industry, here's some stuff!

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
KartoonHead polycounter lvl 4
Hi all,

My name's Martin and I'm a BSc undergraduate studying Sound Recording at Glyndwr University, Wales. Over the latest summer break I discovered that I have a little bit of a passion for game art! I've been teaching myself to model in Maya, how to texture in Photoshop, how to work with shaders in UDK and have also picked up a few handy bits of kit along the way to smooth the pipeline (Marmoset Toolbag, CrazyBump and xNormal are awesome!) I also have a copy of ZBrush and a whopping great tome of a book on how to use it, but I haven't yet used either of those in any meaningful capacity. I'll get round to it though!

Since I haven't been at it for very long I don't have much to show for my efforts, most of my earlier creations (a few months ago) were terrible, but they helped me alot in bolstering my understanding of the modelling process (learning how to layout UVs effectively probably took the longest, but when it clicks, it clicks).

Here are a couple of my more recent modelling efforts (rendered in Marmoset Toolbag), comments and critique are very welcome!

Shipping container,
Container_01_Marmoset_Render.jpg

M3 'Grease Gun'
Grease_Gun_01_Marmoset_Render.jpg

Let me know what you think!

Thanks for reading,

Martin.

Replies

• KartoonHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not even a 'welcome'? :poly134:
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
  • Randalph_The_Black
    A former professor of mine told me something interesting. When posting on a forum like this, you can kill two birds with one stone. What I mean is that if you want to get people to respond to a new thread you make like this, you can become active in the forum community by going through lots of other threads (which is a good thing), and in the process of going through and posting in those threads you may come across a thread about something similiar with an artist(s) who you think could help you. You could then ask that person for their critique personally.

Let's take a look at this image, which I did not make, but it was given to me by a fourm buddy so I'm not entirely sure where he got it.

polycount_reply-o-meter.jpg

I've found this image to hold quite true. It's unfortunate really. In my mind it should be reversed. I think it's the average artist that has lots of room to grow, due to desire and work ethic (in theory), and is deserving of critiques and feedback.

Annoying noobs have a lot of ways to go to get to average, and the inspired artist doesn't really need a lot of people drueling over their posts with responds. I mean, it might be a nice ego boost and all, but it doesn't help them improve.

So don't be discouraged. Turn that frown upside down and get active in the forum community. It'll do you a lot of good.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    On the M3 I think the clip should have a darker color.
    2010-03-16_201827_m3-grease-gun.jpg
  • SsSandu_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SsSandu_C polycounter lvl 13
    Hey... or should I say Welcome :) hehe OKay stuff. The container looks good. In my opinion you have too much of that uniform metal scratches on the edges. Other than that I think you made a good job with the metal texture. For the second image... I have to say that the metal material does not read that well and looks like there was a simple textures pasted on the whole uv of the model. By the way I think the handle of the gun is way to thick... maybe it's just me. I think you can do better and there is a lot of room for improvement. At least that's my opinion... Welcome to polycount! Don't get discouraged if you don't get responses sometimes here... lots of wonderful and talented people here... just keep working at your models and keep posting things will change
  • Randalph_The_Black
    As for your objects, I don't really feel like the texture work is very inspired. Your dirt and stuff seems like it was just brushed on there in photoshop.

With texturing, you have to ask yourself at least 'how' and 'why' (there are lots of other questions really, but start with those.) The gun probably has a 'story' for itself and why it looks the way it does. Where did the dirt come from? What kind of dirt is it? Why is it settling where it's settling? Is there rust? Why does rust form? Where does rust form? Are certain parts handled more than others? How would this affect the surface? The magazine slides in and out a lot, would it not have scratches due to this? And on and on ...
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    For the M3, if you're going for an old, worn look you should introduce some striking variation in metal ware, such as displaced patches of rust growing out in areas, as well as deep scuffs which reveal the shiny metal underneath. To be more specific, the gun looks more aged than worn.

Oh and welcome to the forum! :)
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11

That's so perfect.

@ the OP, can you show the flat textures of the crate, it's pretty nice
  • KartoonHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys,

@SsSandu_C - The handle definitely IS off by quite a way. I was having trouble interpreting the width of certain parts from the reference pictures I found. I made lots of mistakes with that model, but I now know what to look out for/take care with. As for the scratches on the container looking too unform, this is likely down to having used a mouse to draw them, rather than a pressure sensitive tablet. I do have a tablet, I was just having a lazy day! I'll remember that pitfall in future.

@Randalph_The_Black - That graph is spot on if you ask me! I've had trouble from day 1 with making metallic surfaces actually look metallic, think I need to do a bit more reading on the subject. I'll keep browsing the wiki on this site, some of it is pure gold dust. I tried to localise the rust on the container around the areas with moving parts and on the corners/exposed areas, but I don't think it carried very well, too many grime overlays busying up the texture. I'll keep at it and see if I can't improve on it.

@SCB - Now that you've said that I know exactly what you mean, doesn't exactly look like it's been dragged through a warzone :p

Thanks again guys,

Martin.
  • KartoonHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ the OP, can you show the flat textures of the crate, it's pretty nice

Here you go. Compressed to .jpeg to save some Dropbox space. Again, C&C are very welcome!
    Container_MAPS.jpg
    EDIT: I should mention; as of yet I've only used greyscale specular/gloss maps, because I don't know any of the theory behind a colour specular map, such as what colours different surfaces should be, and more importantly why. I'll get around to reading more on the subject though and hopefully I can then start experimenting with colour speculars of my own.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    One thing I noticed is while the storage container has a great deal of wear and tear the letters and numbers look perfect. I would love to see some of the letters paint worn off.
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    that graph is so accurate, that really annoys me too. damn my mediocrity!

Crits wise, your work looks pretty good, the shipping crate looks pretty game worthy, though you'll no doubt find a lot of ways to improve it as you progress.

The grease gun could use some work, the material doesn't look very metallic, it looks kinda marbly, you need to look at reference, figure out what makes the metal of the gun look like metal, and try and imitate that in your texture.

Also, the grip is much too fat, your hand would not hold that comfortably

looking good so far though, just keep making more stuff and you'll be there in no time
  • satanarchist
  • SouthpawSid
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Here you go. Compressed to .jpeg to save some Dropbox space. Again, C&C are very welcome!
    Container_MAPS.jpg
    EDIT: I should mention; as of yet I've only used greyscale specular/gloss maps, because I don't know any of the theory behind a colour specular map, such as what colours different surfaces should be, and more importantly why. I'll get around to reading more on the subject though and hopefully I can then start experimenting with colour speculars of my own.

Pump up the contrast and the brightness on the specular. You lose alot of the red in your diffuse couse of the high average brightness in you specular.

I really like you diffuse, but i think that the worn bits is too uniform. Make them count instead!
  • Randalph_The_Black

All of those threads you listed have pages and pages of people doing exactly what I said they'd do to the "inspired" artist. They're all just saying how great it is.

Which again, is deserved, because the art is very good. But those guys already know they're good because they're working at Epic.

So I'm not really sure what it is you're trying to demonstrate.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    He didn't quote your chart, he quoted the badly edited one.

I'd say your crate is your strongest piece by far.
  • satanarchist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All of those threads you listed have pages and pages of people doing exactly what I said they'd do to the "inspired" artist. They're all just saying how great it is.

Which again, is deserved, because the art is very good. But those guys already know they're good because they're working at Epic.

So I'm not really sure what it is you're trying to demonstrate.

Exactly :D, the original posters don't reply that often. Those threads are filled with praises from others.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Welcome! I'd agree with everyone that your crate is your strongest piece. But the gun has potential, you just need to fix the texture, right now its reading as stone like marble or something and its all uniform. Put more wear on parts more exposed, maybe add some rust too.
  • KartoonHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi again,

Thanks for all the critique, I've tried much harder on my texturing for this next asset. I've spent another day ignoring my University deadlines and working on my modelling/texturing skills. Today I started and finished (if you can call it finished!) a tileable section of a stone wall. It looks very tiled, but I think it's inconspicuous enough that you could get away with it in-game by breaking it up with decals, foliage and other meshes.

Here's what I've got so far,
    Stone_Wall_Screen_04.jpg

The workflow went Maya (to make a box) > Mudbox (to sculpt the stone) > ZBrush (for decimation) > Maya (for retop'ing) > ZBrush (for UV Master) > xNormal (for the obvious!) > Photoshop > Marmoset Toolbag. Let me know if that sounds normal or not :p

Crits and comments are very welcome, I realise that the low-poly mesh has a few harsh blackened edges on it, it's only 400 tris as it is, I'll probably go back and do a little more optimisation with it. Also, the line of black along the bottom is intended to be sunk into the ground, so you wouldn't see that.

Martin.

EDIT: Upon close inspection there are quite a few normal map artifacts in there I didn't spot the first time :/
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    That wall reminds me of bram eulaers' rock wall tutorial
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Be most welcome! :)
  • KartoonHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi again,

Did I get any Uni work done today? Nope. But I did read a brilliant article which Pivot posted up on another thread for someone else who was having trouble getting textures to read like the materials you want them to.

This is the one: http://www.manufato.com/?p=902

After reading it last night I HAD to try it out, so today I grabbed a messy tile texture off of cgtextures, edited the hell out of it, made it tile horizontally, slapped it in CrazyBump, which got awfully confused about the shapes of some of the tiles, so I painted in corrections for it in photoshop. Then I took what I'd learned about specular maps from the tutorial and created a specular with the intention of having a matte finish on the top and bottom sets of tiles and a high gloss finish on the rest, and of course I made sure to colour the specular so that the highlights would come out true to a 'dielectric' material.
    Tiles_Screenshot_01.jpg

A small victory I'd say! Crits and comments very welcome :) if anyone wants me to I can post up my texture maps also, but to be kind to your bandwidth limits I won't do it unless someone actually wants to see them.
  • nicafornica
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nicafornica polycounter lvl 7
    yeah indeed about the dialectric specular. Thx for the link by the way.
  • KartoonHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What I'm working on at the moment; modular railway tracks. This part tiles seamlessly, but is still missing the parts that bolt the tracks to the sleepers. Let me know what you think.
    railway_01.jpg
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    textures look great but too flat from that angle. have you rendered a heightmap for parallax mapping? that would really help this pop.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the textures on that railroad piece, but I agree with Oniram, some parallax on the rocks would go a long way. You could lose the pebbles you actually modeled then as well.
  • razvanimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I completely agree that the modified image is not really accurate. Plus, I'd say that any comments, useful or not, can help in some way... In the end you just have to take it face value. It can be an opinion, an accurate critique or just a matter of taste, but it should all add up anyway.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Nice tracks. If there is anything on this planet that's dirty though, it's railway tracks :) They'r very clean atm..

Is the stone texture supposed to be used on any other part of a scene or something? If not, you should make it intergrate better with the beams and get some AO in the texture :)

Keep it up!
  • Guy123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Real gravel used on train tracks is always higher than the ground around it. Try dragging down and chamfering the edges of the gravel to make it look more like a pile of gravel under the rails, rather than just a flat-ish surface.
  • KartoonHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I've had another go over the textures taking your advice into account, the gravel now uses a displacement map, the rail has been dirtied up a bit, and I've added another ambient occlusion pass to the sleepers.

I've also finished the fixings that attach the rails to the sleepers and stuck them in. Any thoughts? :)
    railway_01.jpg

railway_02.jpg

Here's my reference (good ol' wikipedia),
    800px-Geschweisster_schienenstoss.jpeg

And here's the context I intend to use it in (indoors),
    Munich_subway_station_Theresienwiese.jpg

C&C very welcome :)
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    id say it definitely looks better. but now heres what you need to focus on. start looking at how those materials react to light (per your reference). those exposed areas of metal have a very high specularity and glossiness. implement that into your texture. to be quite honest from what it looks like now (the second screenshot), the exposed metal you've got looks like wood.

also notice how there is some discolouration in the spec for the exposed metal. you've got greys browns blues and reds. put that into your spec/gloss map and itll pop much more.
  • KartoonHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In my opinion you need to make some more interesting stuff, everything in the thread so far is pretty well done, but really basic.

Heard that loud and clear!

Will this m1911 cut it?
    m1911_WIP_ZBrush_01.jpg
    (still very W.I.P.)

I know it's not the most complicated of weapons but I think it has enough curvy-bits to be a challenge for myself. It's also the first time I've actually used ZBrush or proper SubDiv modelling techniques so I'm learning loads whilst building this. 'Is it exciting enough though?' I suppose is the question.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    watch out for the pinching uve got going on down on the lower right-hand side of the image.
  • Kratilim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Personally I don't get exited while seeing a gun (might also be why I don't play shooters :)). But it looks alright. There are a few artifacts that would show up in the normal map If you baked it in its current state.

And if you want to choose something exiting to create, just look up your favorite artist/movie/book/whatever and be inspired by that. Just choose something that YOU find interesting. Don't pick stuff you think other people would find interesting. The best art gets created when you create something you like, not when you create something you think other ppl will like. :) My 2 cents.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    A former professor of mine told me something interesting. When posting on a forum like this, you can kill two birds with one stone. What I mean is that if you want to get people to respond to a new thread you make like this, you can become active in the forum community by going through lots of other threads (which is a good thing), and in the process of going through and posting in those threads you may come across a thread about something similiar with an artist(s) who you think could help you. You could then ask that person for their critique personally.

Let's take a look at this image, which I did not make, but it was given to me by a fourm buddy so I'm not entirely sure where he got it.

I've found this image to hold quite true. It's unfortunate really. In my mind it should be reversed. I think it's the average artist that has lots of room to grow, due to desire and work ethic (in theory), and is deserving of critiques and feedback.

Annoying noobs have a lot of ways to go to get to average, and the inspired artist doesn't really need a lot of people drueling over their posts with responds. I mean, it might be a nice ego boost and all, but it doesn't help them improve.

So don't be discouraged. Turn that frown upside down and get active in the forum community. It'll do you a lot of good.

According to this graph, I am somewhere between average joe and decent artist. I get positive replies stating my modeling skills have been beefed up from the ones I started with. I do get crits for minor tweeks.

hmm..

Welcome to the Polycount OP, really nice work right there sir. :)
  • KartoonHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kratilim wrote: »
    Just choose something that YOU find interesting.

I actually find guns quite interesting lol! At the moment anyhow, mostly because of Battlefield 3 (back to Karkand is out in like 2 days or something, SO EXCITED!). On a broader scale what I really enjoy is weapons, be it a gun, or an axe, or a sword, or a rocket launcher, or some sorta ice-spike shooting wand thingy, or... you see where I'm going with this.

With that in mind I think the next thing I want to do is make a sword, axe, or hammer, or all three! Because I've also fallen back in love with TES series since Skyrim came out, and I really love the new weapon sets; the iron ones in particular look really cool with that celtic knot-type pattern. Would love to do something like that. Plus I'm eager to do more work in ZBrush and hand hammering some polys to get a hand hammered metal look would just be a cool thing to try out.

Thanks for the crits guys, that pinching on the grip is really giving me some ball-ache, any idea as to how I might go about smoothing it out? (Not a trick question btw, the smooth brush just makes the hard edges either side of it collapse and for some reason won't just smooth the bits I want it to, apparently it can't read minds, or something like that.)
  • KartoonHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spent the vast majority of today reading and taking notes for my dissertation so in the evening, rather than open up the pistol and not have enough time to get a decent amount of work done on it, I decided to make the .45 ACP round that'll go in the mag for my glamshots.

Here's the lo-poly in Marmoset Toolbag, and the hi-poly in ZBrush,
    45ACP_Glamshot_01.jpg

45ACP_Render.jpg

I've had trouble making metallic surfaces look metallic ever since I started a few months ago, so any crits/comments on how I might improve the material of the lo-poly are greatly appreciated. Well, I'm off to bed!

Martin.
  • samcole
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Someone linked a article about materials a while back. Basically from what I read..if you want the material to read as metal...the spec map needs to be close to the color of the diffuse map. That way the light that bounces will be close to the color of the metal.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The diffuse should be darker.
  • KartoonHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I've replaced the marmoset render with a new one, using a darker and dirtier diffuse.
  • KartoonHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was browsing through Flickr today and came across THIS little robot sculpture by Onorio D'Epiro. His name is Rusty, and this afternoon I had a go at sculpting him in ZBrush. I blocked out the basic shapes in Maya first because I still don't know how to make stuff from scratch in ZBrush, let alone scale or move components etc.

Here's what I've got so far (some of the larger areas could do with another subdiv level, but I've only got 3.5GB of RAM so I try to save it wherever I can),
    Rusty_WIP_01.jpg

Rusty_WIP_02.jpg

Let me know what you think! Never done a character before, and I'm still very new to ZBrush, so there're bound to be all sorts of rookie mistakes. Also, if there's a quick and easy way to up the standard of my renders do let me know, at the moment I'm just turning on AO and hitting the 'Best' button.

Thanks,

Martin.
  • johnnybrach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the spec is right on!
  • myles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 13
    Personally I'd say you would be better scaling up the size of the object your working on. Railway Tracks, Bullets & Little Abstract Robots are fun for practising but you'd be better off trying something which you can really pour some time in. Or just spend more time on the existing props you've done and keep comparing them to the real thing (be very critical) or to something similar your favourite game artist did.