Home Unreal Engine

UDK Terrible shadow acne

nfrrtycmplx
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
Hi, I'm getting terrible shadow acne in UDK using the dominant directional light

the light is dynamic... lighting build times are aweful for me as well... i think it's cause my computer is shlow...

shadowacne.jpg

any helpers?

Replies

• Camikaze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That lighting doesn't look built - double check that you have the static channel enabled on the light (dynamic lights aren't baked in during light builds).
    To reduce light build times try setting the shadow resolution on the BSP to a higher number - especially on the sides and bottom of the BSP block as you'll never see these anyway.
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

the lighting isn't built, it's just the one dynamic light I'm having the problem with. This is a new test scene outside of my regular scene to try to get a better result.

the scene contains one importance volume (for when i build the lights), one landscape, and one building (placeholder).

There is no BSP in the scene, so I don't know what you're referring to there.

Here's the lighting built... i'm getting the same problem i've scene in another post with the wierd lighting resolution seams... and the building not casting a shadow on the landscape properly

the importance volume is around the "hill" and the building only.

lightingIssues.jpg
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    basically, seems like no matter what I do, landscape + Lighting = fail with a single directional light, dynamic or static.

Cheers, thanks in advance
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The results are no better with a Production build of the lighting. either.

I'd really like to use a dynamic light as my sun so I can change the lighting over time... is there a better way to do that and i'm just missing something on the UDK documentation?

The initial post contains the initial problem/question... how to fix the shadow acne on landscape?
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    argh... seems like the more i fiddle with the different lights adding and removing one light and adding a different one... the whole thing goes tits up. Now, I can't get ANY lights to cast shadows.

Is this a problem with my Radeon HD 5400 Graphics card?

I switched to DX11, and still get quite a bit of shadow acne on slopes, but don't get any on flat surfaces anymore. this is why I'm thinking it may be a graphics card problem. I updated drivers and all that too.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    This "acne" is just a ini parameters that you change for increasing the quality of the dynamic shadows, but it will probably cost more to change this value.
    I can't remember the setting unfortunately, but it's in the ini's files.
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You were right

BaseEngine.ini

shadowdepthbias = .033 seems ok... .333 made the shadows too far from the base of objects... so i'll tweak it between these two values... thanks for your help!