Home Technical Talk

New computer, amd/intel?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
MikeF polycounter lvl 19
dont want to start a fanboy war, just want an unbiased perspective on the two chipsets

So i'm looking to build a new computer and i was set with intel until i got a pretty awesome deal for an AMD barebones kit in my email today. I'm just wondering if i'l have any major compatibility issues with anything, or if my system is going to require any additional monitoring that would otherwise be unnecessary.

my last AMD build was well over 8 years ago and at the time it was fairly unstable, had lots of hardware conflicts ect...

i wont be overclocking or anything, just want a stable computer for work and games.

i'd just go with the intel, but shopping on a budget has me really considering amd now

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In my experience, you get what you pay for. I've been burned too often by AMD and ATI to really give them much consideration, now that they've teamed up I hear its gotten a little better but you should stay in "their family" and not mix and match Nvidia with AMD.

I hear ATI driver support hasn't gotten much better since they've been bought out and program compatibility with applications like Max, Maya and UDK are fairly common ATI issues. But there are probably people running those parts just fine, but it seems like if someone is going to have problems, they are running AMD/ATI...

AMD/ATI have pretty much lost the tech war and more than likely are kept around just to fend off monopoly lawsuits... I could be wrong but I think most of the work stations in the industry are Intel/Nvidia (that could be my personal experience/bias creeping in...)

I think you could probably go Intel/Nvidia on the cheap, you just don't go bleeding edge and you could be fine. But then I think any system around $1,000 is a good middle of the road workhorse. Going too much higher and you're just paying over inflated prices that will come down in 3mo.

CPU $219.99
    Intel Core i5-760 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core

MotherBoard $128.99

GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68

Memory $99.99
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133

Video Card $169.99
    EVGA 01G-P3-1372-TR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Superclocked 1GB

Case, $60-$100
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007583%20600006302&IsNodeId=1&name=ATX%20Mid%20Tower

Power Supply $109.99
    CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W

Grand Total $800
    (Depending on what you already have available, monitor, mouse, keyboard, DVD drive, windows bla bla bla).

Of course you will want to double check all of these parts for compatibility and probably research them a bit more than what I did by selecting best rated and choosing what looked like the best deal...

You could also probably take some minor dips in performance and drop the price lower.

The Power Supply would be the first piece I would look to save a bit on. Without compromising quality or quietness you probably want to run these parts thought a PSU calculator and find out exactly what your needs would be, I guessed at 650w but it could be under that.

The memory would be next to be trimmed back. You could get less ram to start with, and upgrade later. However I find its a bit of a pain in the ass to find the right kind of ram, and a bit unstable to mix and match brands when upgrading ram later. I normally dump all of the old ram and buy all new just so I don't run into conflicts. So getting enough now could be a smart move, it doesn't seem that expensive.

The CPU would be next, there are a few lower priced quad cores that would probably be more than enough power for whatever you plan to build that is game related, especially if its just props or characters.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks mark, much appreciated.
    Since i've already got my nvidia gpu i think i'l just have to stick with intel and pay a bit more.

As it is now i've got a nice 650w psu that has treated me well for the last few years so i'l just drop that in from my old system, so using those part recomendations i'm sitting around what i was going to spend on the amd system anyways, thanks again!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea awesome! PSU and cases are two things I don't skimp on, they normally last me 2-3 systems and I normally out grow them or just feel like a change before they break down.

I don't mind paying a bit more for those two pieces if they keep things cool, quite and are durable.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    I would rather recommend the Core i5 2500 not sure what the dollar prices are, but in euro it´s about 180€ .

Oh and one thing to note, the motherboard and cpu you stated mark don´t fit together.
    The CPU is socket 1156 and the motherboard is 1155.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    amd pretty much fucked up the first bulldozer, so for now intel is a fine choice
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    $220ish I5 2500K ~7,500 on passmark
    $320ish I7 2600K ~10,000
    $220ish I5 760 ~4,500

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Good for a quick look, these CPUs are about the same price, the 2500/2600K are the updated versions. Its not really worth getting an I5/I7 XXX unless you can get it really cheap or something, as the I5 2500K and I7 2600K are bargains for price/performance. The 2600K is even on par with the sub-$1000 I7 980 etc.

Sandybridge is where its at.

Intel/Nvidia is always my recommendation for a stable workstation build.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    I7 all the way, and make sure you get an nVidia card too. Avoid Ati you will encounter issues with 3D apps most likely.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    I am not in a situation of giving advice on computers :) , but this is what I got just a month ago and it is amazing :)- just in case you were wondering what MB and CPU to get and if they would work together :
    core i5 2500
    GA-P67-DS3-B3
    2x4 GB Kingston DDR3 1600

And yes from my little research looks like Intel is the way to go for the cpu if you are looking for a stable workstation.
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c'mon get a dual xeon X5690 westmere! ...just kidding i7 2600k looks good quality/price.
  • Mio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mio polycounter lvl 13
    stay with Intel + Nvidia!
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    back servral years ago i would have said amd, but now your best off with intel.

Intel+Nvidia is going to allow you to do more than pairing up with amd+ati, Cuda is really nice to have expecailly when you need to get some AO and maps baked out right fast.
  • shawnolson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shawnolson polycounter lvl 13
    Intel/nVidia all the way... especially if you are using 3ds Max. Some of the new Nitrous viewport functions have been really buggy in ATI (just see the Autodesk forums). I've had great results on the nVidia cards with Max... but the one ATI machine I have has been a nightmare in Max using Nitrous (though I think SP1/2 fixed the problems I personally saw).
  • DataCain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DataCain polycounter lvl 18
    INTELLLLLL! I won't go back to AMD CPU's.
    I'm looking at the 2500k and 2600k CPU's - they overclock very nicely too, with little effort and no extra parts\money spent.

Currently, I have ATI in my desktop and nVidia in my laptop and both run perfect.
    Haven't tried the latest max, so can't comment on their stability with it.
    I've used many cards over the years from both companies and there have been ups and downs with both.
    This time around I will be grabbing an nvidia card; The swaying factor for me is stereoscopic gaming support. (to be used with Sony HMZ-T1 Visors!) :P