Home Technical Talk

normal map issues with Max 2012 and rotating objects

Ghostscape
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
I've got a few boxes with tangent space normal maps on them. Whenever I rotate one of them at the object or sub-object level, it starts lighting differently - ie, two flat planes will light completely differently, even if they're sharing the same texels, etc.

I initially assumed that this was a qualified normals issue, but turning them off does not seem to fix things.

This is affecting both the scanline renderer and the viewport. Any ideas?

Replies

• Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone?

This happens:
    in Mental Ray
    in Max Scanline renders
    in D3D viewports with max hardware shader
    in Nitrous viewports with max hardware shaders
    in D3D with work's special shaders
    in D3D with Xoliul and 3ps shaders

It happens with normal maps of any type, regardless of r/g/b orientation, or if they're plain 'blue' or have details in them.
    It happens at work and at a clean home trial installation.

I've recreated it here - you can see the box when rotated 180 degrees is now lighting differently:
    HikXq.jpg

I am at my wit's end here. No one has seen this before?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I've bugged Autodesk and their forums about this issue, but no replies. I'm guessing it's a new bug introduced with Max.

Also, the only quick solution I found was position my model and hitting reset Xform. Yes, that's right, everytime you reposition your model, hit XForm, which only works half the time.

What about in Max 2011? It should be fine in that.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    do you have it plugged in through a "normal-bump map" slot?
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    I've bugged Autodesk and their forums about this issue, but no replies. I'm guessing it's a new bug introduced with Max.

Also, the only quick solution I found was position my model and hitting reset Xform. Yes, that's right, everytime you reposition your model, hit XForm, which only works half the time.

What about in Max 2011? It should be fine in that.

Resetting x-forms doesn't fix it most of the time :(

And yes computron, it's going through normal bump. I've used normal maps once or twice before :) AFAIK this is new behavior in 2012.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can only assume that my normal maps are getting gamma corrected somehow, hoping to test this soon.