Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Steam-Punk Motorbike

Envart
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Envart polycounter lvl 6
Hello Polycount,

Below is a steam-punk motorbike. I started work on this a while ago, it's been dormant for a while, but a comment from a friend brought it back to life.

I'd really appreciate your opinons on the basic forms and shapes. Does it look 'steampunk'? Where would you add more detail? Does any idea jump out at you? Does it look like it could function?

I plan to create a hipoly model and bake it within Max. I may do a zbrush pass for dents and wear.

Concept
bike_concept_painted.jpg

Max viewport
bike_concept_painted_base.jpg

Wire
bike_concept_painted_base_wire.jpg

Thanks very much for reading.

Replies

• Kiser Designs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kiser Designs polycounter lvl 12
    Its seems like you have strayed from the concept picture a bit. Is this on purpose?
  • Mgoblue412
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mgoblue412 polycounter lvl 5
    It seems like the front wheel is too far out in front to turn effectively. Also I feel like the foot peg should be farther back more like a crotch rocket type bike. Overall I like the concept and think it can be pretty sweet
  • Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    I second it being too clumsy to actually turn - it also doesn't look like the handlebars function at all in that area, it's just a big block with bars sticking out.

However, I like your model better than the concept. Seeing as how you're still in a pretty blocked-out stage, I think you should find a mechanical fix to this yourself, because the concept is just as broken.
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Yeah it's quite a bit different from the concept, I think was looking mostly at chopper bikes during building it, it was about 7-8 months ago so it's hard to remember. I'll probably mostly stay with the current shape, but looking now I'd like to bring back a couple of the details and re shape it a bit. I'll have a play with the front wheel, and post up some variations.

Thanks for the comments. :)
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Ok, I've resized the wheel, hopefully this looks more viable. Still working on the handle-bars, thanks Razgriz. :)

bike_concept_painted_base2.jpg
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    it reminds me of the brute vehicles in halo 3, i like it, it's a cool concept are those propellers supposed to have steam coming out of the turbines if this were irl? that would be a cool effect if you ever render it with particles and such
  • ranger_park
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the concept. cant wait to see the textures
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with previous writers concerning the front forks and handlebars. How does it turn? Does it have any form of suspension at all? Is there any kind of swing arm that attaches the back wheel to the chassis? I cannot make it out in the 3D-model. In the concept it's visible but seems kind of frail. Also, concerning the position of the seat-handlebar-footpegs it would be a pretty cramped and awkward riding position. Either move the foot pegs back to get more of a sports bike riding position, or give it a big ape-hanger handlebar to get a chopper/bobber riding position.
  • Ahrkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahrkey polycounter lvl 18
    Since when did steam punk stuff become agile, effective and comfortable use? I agree that it's hard to see how the fork would rotate in relation to the handle bars but the shape of them is ok. The bike would actually become more stable with those kind of forks.

I disagree about others opinion on the footpegs though.
    I'd go for a more chopper/custom style for the bike and therefor move it forward and perhaps a little bit higher. Maybe the bigger kind of footrests like HD or similar have.

Just look at most chopper/custom riders. They got low bikes, long tanks and short handlebars. This makes the rider position look like a 'C' in profile.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    Ahrkey> Fair enough. I tend to write from my own perspective and I feel that the "C"-riding position you speak of strains ones back a lot more. But you're right that many bikes seems to ride this way, so definitely also a way to go.
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Hi there, thanks for the comments. I've altered the handlebars, made more of a chopper like set.
    bike_concept_painted_base2_nu2.jpg

I'm working on the steering system at the moment. Does the style seem mis-matched or is it passable?
    Here's a side shot so you can see how the rear wheel connects.

bike_concept_painted_base2_nu.jpg
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    I think how the handlebar attaches now seem more convincing since it now seems to attach to some moving part instead of a solid piece of the chassis. Not sure about the relationship between, footpegs-sadle-handlebars. Think it might be that you need more distance between the handlebars and the sadle. Google is your best friend to figure this out. If you have a charachter which you can easily pose then go for it.

Here's some refs:
    PhotoID11297.jpg
    200531231541_Warriorwithapes.jpg
    apes4.jpg

You don't have to go Ape Hanger style handlebars either, there's lots of different handlebars you can look at for inspiration.

https://www.google.com/search?q=motorcycle+custom+handlebars

EDIT:
    Regarding your new side view. To me that swing arm construction does not seem believable at all. I'd either look at adding some suspensions and keep that style of swing arm, or going a solid frame and skip suspension. As it is now I'm having a hard time figuring out what's keeping the bike from collapsing and having the main part of the bike from touching the ground. If you go for suspension it doesn't necessarily have to be any visible type of suspension as long as you can convince that it's centered underneath the bike (below the saddle area)
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    Here's some various pics of suspension and rigid frames.

Kawasaki_ER6n_sideview.jpg
    mountain-bike-rear1.jpg
    2009_HD_Softail_Rocker_C_Rear_Suspension_468x388.jpg
    Ural_T_rear_suspension.jpg
    lbt_lg+2004_suzuki_marauder+rear_suspension_view.jpg
    2011-Sport-Bike-Honda-CB-1000R-Rear-Suspension.jpg
    Flyrite-Choppers-Motorcycles.jpg
    flat-black-custom-motorcycle.jpg
    wrenchmonkees_triumph.jpg
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks very much guys, and Kodde, many thanks for all that reference, you've given me a lot to chew on!

Added a suspension to the rear wheel, hopefully this makes it look a little more real.
    bike_concept_painted_base2_nu3.jpg

"it reminds me of the brute vehicles in halo 3, i like it, it's a cool concept are those propellers supposed to have steam coming out of the turbines if this were irl? that would be a cool effect if you ever render it with particles and such"

Cool idea, I'll rememeber that for later :D
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    Looking better.
    I think it's nice to see someone doing a motorcycle and since I have a passionate interest in them then why not help out.

Consider placing a copy of your rear suspension to have one on the other side as well for balance/symmetry.

There's a point when you have enough believability when you can let other details slide, you will have to decide when. I'll probably keep seeing things that a non-motorcyclist wouldn't :)

Did you consider what form of driving factor on the back wheel? There seems to be both an centralized engine and a propeller at the back? do they both move it forward? On modern bikes there are pretty much three types of power transfer from the engine to the back wheel. By chain, by belt or by cardan.

Chain:
    c_aft_customs_er-hed_metric_custom.jpeg

Belt:
    050808middle2.jpg
    VStar950-5.jpg

Cardan:
    P4222307.jpg
    lbt_lg+2004_suzuki_marauder+rear_suspension_view.jpg
  • Ahrkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahrkey polycounter lvl 18
    I got an idea for the drivetrain! Since it's "steam"-punk why not have a piston and a arm like old trains used to have? Would be cool. Dunno how you would implement it though.

Also, is the suspension attached to the wheel itself or the swingarm? I can't tell. Looks like it's attached to the wheel.

Looking good though.
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    something like this, yes? I say go for it. Steam powered steampunk motorcycle. How can you not go wrong? :D

Mathilda+Williams+-+locomotive+wheels+-+Naboomstpruit+-+in+the+municipal+grounds.jpg
    Paducah,%20KY%20steam%20locomotive%20and%20Bob.jpg

a_steam_train_with_colours_enhanced_into_mostly_monochrome_but_with_colour_in_the_wheels.1920x1200.c21d078c.jpg
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Hello again Polycount,
    sorry it's been absolutely ages since I've updated this thread. Thanks very much for the reference re.wind, Ahrkey and kodde! I've tried to integrate the drive train idea from the steam engines above. How does it look? I know technically that the springs would be useless unless the piston assembly was on a tilting mount - is that incredibly important? Any suggestions are much appreciated.

bike01.jpg
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    Cool.
    The steam piston drive setup adds to the fact that now it has some form of technical parts that adds believability for making this thing run.

I think I've mentioned this already, but at this point it might just be motorcycle and mechanically interested viewers who might be questioning certain design parts. You should get input from others as well.

If you ask me I don't like that suspension.
    You have a few ways to go.
    • A rigid frame with no suspension.
    • Suspension with a spring each mounted on each side of the bike. You need a swing arm or similar pivoting construction.
    • A centralized spring below the seat. You need a swing arm or similar pivoting construction.
    • Don't bother and keep it as it is. Many viewers might not notice or care about this?

Either way you choose, I'd not keep the spring you have without adding a symmetrically placed one on the other side. You give the impression that the back wheel could pivot, yet you don't have any symmetry to make pivoting believable. At least not in my opinion :)
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey looks cool.

I saw that there was a lot of discussion about ergonomics of the rider position....have you considered throwing a biped on the bike just to see how a rider would fit? When I started my bike, that was the very first thing I did...so I can make sure that everything is relative to how the rider sits.

You've made a lot of nice design choices that stray from the concept. I think that having a slightly larger propeller on the back would be nice...maybe just scale it up a little bit. Also, for your exhaust, I think you could do more here...since you are going steampunk, why not make them 2 smokestacks instead? Like this:
    CHAUT4J.JPG

Keep it up, this is looking cool.
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Hello again!

I've implemented your suggestions gskol and kodde, resizing the fan, adding the second spring and modified the exhaust with a smoke stack, I've added a bend in with what will probably be made of a rubber or leather material.

If anyone has any suggestions for additions or modifications, I'll gladly accept them. If not I think it might be hi-poly time!

34rasgj.jpg

bja8me.jpg
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    Looks better.

I could go on about construction details but I'm starting to feel like in being more of a pain in the ass than contributing. If you want more construction/functionality oriented feedback let me know.
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Hey Kodde, not a pain in the ass at all! Construction/functionality feedback is greatly appreciated, I'd like to make it look believable before I cover it with wires and sprockets!
  • Tigerfeet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't see the left side to tell if you changed it, but in this picture: bike01.jpg
    you have the steam piston driving the fender. I think it would be nice if it were driving the wheel :)
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    Functionality wise I was thinking the same as Tigerfeet. Also, since you do have rear shocks that means that the bike must have some kind of pivoting part for the back wheel such as a traditional swing arm, yet judging by your construction I don't see how it would pivot. Only possibility I can see is that one beam-looking part right above the piston arm, the part that ends behind the piston housing. The swing arm needs to attach to the center of the wheel, not the fender though.

Maybe consider for a swing arm that covers both left/right side of the rear wheel. There are swing arms that only attaches on one side, but they have done a lot of effort to balance it and give it stability.

Also, your rear shocks would have to be oriented straight to compress properly. It's hard to explain with words, but in your case the length between the mounting points on the seat and the length between the mounting points on the fender seem to differ. Picture those springs compressing, doesn't add up right?
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys, I've modified the design, having difficulty thinking of a way of attaching the arm to the center of wheel. I like the wheel facing he new way though, you get to see more of it. I moved the springs to a more vertical position. It's getting a bit crowded on the other side for a two pronged swing arm maybe?

befqc.jpg
    352j77t.jpg
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    I also like the more exposed wheel.
    Still can't see what's how that wheel is attached to the frame. I see the piston attachment that makes it spin, but what actually attaches the wheel to the bike?

Those springs really should be mounted fully straight for it to function properly. Maybe consider one central spring between the wheel and the frame? Below the seat sort of say.