Home Technical Talk

Environment Workflow

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Computron polycounter lvl 7
So I watched the Gnomon Workshop DVD; Environment Modeling for Games with Nate Stephens, and I am trying to adopt his workflow for myself but I would prefer to use 3ds Max.

A big lessons of his is how to model with curves since you can use things like lofts to create meshes with UVs automatically generated. Tiling textures become very easily to implement.

1. I can't figure out how to make lofts in Max to work like they do with surface lofts in Maya. Lofts in Max require a profile AND a Path unlike the multiple profiles required in Maya. Is there any way to make them work like in Maya with Auto Generated UVs?

2. For things like trim, I am aware that you can make a shape from edge and then sweep that shape and generate UVs. But what If I want that sweeped trim to cut into the surface like an extrusion? Is there any way to quickly implement this trim and sew it into the mesh?

3. When I sweep a spline with a rectangle shape I get some stretchyness and skewing in harsh angles like this:
iCxH3veQULlLA.PNG
Any way to easily fix this distortion and have it ready to sew back into the mesh?

4.When you generate UV coordinates in 3ds Max, the textures usually come out way out of scale, Unless you check the box labelled "Real-World Map Size" and then change everyone of you material's textures to something fitting. That's really tedious but the worst part is that none of this gets exported! your textures are still out of scale when you import into UDK. WTF! Is there any way to bake this Data into the UV Coordinates?

~~~

Yesterday I was playing around with Halo: Reach's theatre mode and trying to take some reference shots to figure out how the make their environments. I think they are still using BSP that they make in 3ds Max like they have in previous halo games so everything has to be sewn and welded back into place and STL checked for the lightmapper and collisions to work. At least that's how it was in Halo 2 when I was modding it. Nothing like UDK is these days with unique meshes.

I noticed that they BEVEL AND TRIM THE SHIT OUT OF EVERYTHING IN SIGHT:
i9ukOZ1V1Uag0.jpg
j6KN9Z2G7apez.jpg
iQiRvf9mvaEAG.jpg

I can't imagine they would manually unwrap any of them beveled edges, how do they do it?

/

Replies

• Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    I can't imagine they would manually unwrap any of them beveled edges, how do they do it?

UV UNWRAP? how else would they do it?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I use UV Strip Straightener on trim strips.

Those hard corners you have are always going to be distorted unless you split the edges.

I almost never have an asset that doesn't need manual unwraps on.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UV UNWRAP? how else would they do it?

Sounds to good to be true, eh?

They show the method I am talking about in the gnomon DVD where you never have to enter the unwrapping window ever, you just build everything from mathematical surfaces like lofts and it is unwrap automagically. The artist who made the DVD worked on god of war 3 and a ton of other PS3 game using this method. Click the link at the top of my post, that whole environment was built and unwrapped at the same time without entering and UV editor even once. But that's in Maya, I use Max and can't figure out how to do the same, it looks like Bungie (They use Max) has which is why I brought up them Reach screenshots. everything is curved and beveled and perfectly unwrapped without skewing or distortion.

Keep in mind this is not going to autounwrap non tiling things like props. just tiling environments
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    I bought that DVD too and I don't remember him actually saying everything was ready to go UV-wise, he said that you get a good set of uvs to start with. In the DVD he doesn't actually apply any textures, except for the last part where he does some simple normal baking stuff.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In chapter 8, he uses traditional polygonal modeling to make a blockout which is used as a guide to make curves. Then he lofts the curves to get the surfaces with auto UVs. these are then used to replace the blockout completely and then in the later chapters he cuts up all these surfaces and cleans them up and welds them together.

You are right that this doesn't finish all your texturing layout completely but you wont have to flatten anything into UV space, only move it to match your trim textures.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The hard angles on your test image won't be able to auto generate straight uvs, the only option would be to detach each face in the UV editor, run a relax and try to line them up to minimize visible seams. I could get away with that low spec diffuse only, not sure how friendly normal maps will be with that.

Here's an example of a loft (actually just a renderable spline) that will generate good UVs
    screenshot.34.jpg
    I spent the 2 seconds it took to scale the UVs up

If it didn't have autogenerated UVs, say I forgot to check the option, I could just apply a planar map then use UV strip straightener. The one issue with UV strip straightener, it only likes quads and the strip has to be open on each end. So if it's continuous like a circle, just pick an edge where your seem will be, break it and then run the straightener. If I have some triangles in a strip, I'll detatch them and run the straightener on what I can and stitch the triangles back in. I have stitch bound to "S" since I use it so much.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually figured out that if you just go to the vertex sub-object mode of the spline, click refine and add a vert in the corners it removes the tension almost completely with very little effort. Then you can weld or break the uv of the edge.

But I am still looking for ways to make the lofts that were used in the DVD with MAYA. the closest thing I can find requires you to use NURBS, ewww.

Thanks for recommending the script though its pretty neat.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Computron wrote: »
    But I am still looking for ways to make the lofts that were used in the DVD with MAYA. the closest thing I can find requires you to use NURBS, ewww.

In maya a loft produces a nurbs surface.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    sprunghunt wrote: »
    In maya a loft produces a nurbs surface.

in maya you choose what you want the loft to produce, polygons, nurbs or subd surface.
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    Yesterday I was playing around with Halo: Reach's theatre mode and trying to take some reference shots to figure out how the make their environments. I think they are still using BSP that they make in 3ds Max like they have in previous halo games so everything has to be sewn and welded back into place and STL checked for the lightmapper and collisions to work. At least that's how it was in Halo 2 when I was modding it. Nothing like UDK is these days with unique meshes.

I noticed that they BEVEL AND TRIM THE SHIT OUT OF EVERYTHING IN SIGHT:

I can't imagine they would manually unwrap any of them beveled edges, how do they do it?[/CENTER]

/
    they use maya at bungie now, they switched after h2 :)
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont think so. They use a lot of different software depending on the artist and function but even in the latest Vidoc they were using max to create the BSPs.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby wrote: »
    in maya you choose what you want the loft to produce, polygons, nurbs or subd surface.

Exactly, so its faster to go this way make a curve, convert to nurbs, loft, flip normals and so on. I can't find any other way to do this in Max though so IDK.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Computron ya i do it all the time, just use ep curves set to linear, with grid snapping on, than draw my curve points out, duplicate the curve, select both of them do a loft and in the options make sure polygon, and general are ticked off and turn the tessellation down to 1 and it will only create new verts where your control points were in the curve.

very fast and effecinet.

also if you really didnt want to use loft your could just start with a plane and extrude the edge on it to make a desgine similar.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your basically describing the DVDs workflow. It's funny how i have only found one tutorial to describe this method and no one knows about it. The problem is I dont use Maya I use Max and lofts in max are a little convoluted and require you to make NURBS surfaces and then convert them to polygon objects..

I was under the impression that simple edge extrusions didn't generate correct mapping coordinates
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your basically describing the DVDs workflow. It's funny how i have only found one tutorial to describe this method and no one knows about it. The problem is I dont use Maya I use Max and lofts in max are a little convoluted and require you to make NURBS surfaces and then convert them to polygon objects..

I was under the impression that simple edge extrusions didn't generate correct mapping coordinates

never seen the tut, just a way i found myslef that i really liked for quickly making shapes, something i have done a lot of in both maya and silo, surprised max doesn't do it well since everyone says max is good with splines, for the kinda workflow max uses it would be cool if there was a modifier you could apply to a spline that did this, just tell it what axis to slide the shape across and how many units, than you could later collapse the stack and convert to editable poly really surprised no-one made a modifier stack plugin to do that yet.

from the very little i know about max i think the best thing would be to make a plane the length you want for the piece and select it's top edge and enter the side ortho view, and shift+drag that edge around to make the shape.

or just use swift-loop on a large plane and drag forward edges.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygon modeling techniques in max are destructive to UVs for the most part. I may just have to learn Maya.

Thanks anyway, passerby. You don't have a portfolio linked to your account, any way for me to see some of your work?
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    dpaynter26 wrote: »
    they use maya at bungie now, they switched after h2 :)

Untrue, having worked at Bungie I can tell you that they use Max for the majority of things, and a few use Maya. These are mostly the animators, FX artists and a character artist or two. While there during Reach every Environment artist used Max.

The tools Justin linked are very much like the tools we used for Unwrapping at Bungie only in the most basic basic form. Bungie has quite possibly the best unwrapping custom built tool suit for Max or any 3d modeling program I have ever seen or have heard about. It had so many amazing and time saving features built into. Losing those tools was such a huge blow when leaving Bungie haha :)

It did very similar functions to the tools Justin showed of it could straighten things out evenly in a line, only objects didnt need to be pre-unwrapped with even UV's. All the UV's could be completly squeked and broken and the tool would unwrap them, align them, scale the strips and place there position in the UV editor window based on parameters you set. Handled curves great, but could have issues with 90 degree angles, and was best used with quads and tris caused problems.

For New Alexandria, the level I worked on that had a lot of soft curved surfaces and bevels to the architecture it was a life saver, and honestly the only way I would ever wish to unwrap things. We of course used instances and only had to unwrap somethings once and then could built up the level. But it also gave the freedom to add more unique forms in there as unwrapping wasnt a bitch as it is for most people.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YES AUTOCON!

Damn, custom tools. No chance you could ask them to share?

So is there still the requirement of having everything stitch to STL standards in halo reach? You guys still use BSP?

How would you guys go about doing the kind of trim you have in this picture where it is sepperateing the two tileing materials for the floor? I am trying it with renderable rectangular splines and then caping multple borders but it is still a bitch to work with.

i9ukOZ1V1Uag0.jpg
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, you could loft or use the sweep modifier - sweep works a little better since it divides the mesh based on the spline not on path steps option in loft. You can adjust the interpolation steps for the spline if it's creating too many points on the curves - or just optimize it later.

I don't see anything particularly tricky or difficult to make in the scene you posted.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that's pretty much how I was doing it, but never hurts to see if anyone has a better way. the whole lofting for auto UVs thing was huge because even with all the tutorials I have seen no one ever mentioned it and now I got a whole new workflow to try out.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm well I have no idea what stitching to STL standards means, the main structures were made from unique geo in Max and exported to the engine were stitched up for the most part. Didnt have to be everywhere, it just was for the most part for collision reasons and most importantly since the main level geo would have a TON of shaders applied to it for all the trip peices, it was best to just have 1 or 2 pieces with a ton of shaders applied then a lot of smaller sections with lots of shaders.

Lofts and sweeps work great for stuff like that. Or beveling the shit out of things, all depended on what you needed and what worked best for the given situation.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    STL Check is a modifier in 3ds max that checks for things like open edge, spikes, multiple faces and other stuff.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    STL check is the old school method which doesn't fix anything. You should be using xView instead.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OH ha, so totally forgot about STL Check. The flaws of using Maya for the last year ha.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    STL check is the old school method which doesn't fix anything. You should be using xView instead.

True, but STL stands for stereolithography which has a requirement of being solid and passing the checks that xView is designed to show. STL check is legacy stuff, but I was just curious to see if they moved on from the Halo 2 Era requirements, hence STL Check.

Its crazy how Halo Reach works with quake era tech
  • lloyd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have a look at textools

http://www.renderhjs.net/textools/

the best UV toolset for max i've used. straightens like a boss
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just tried textools rectify option and I can't really get it to work, at least in max 2012.

Justin, the UV straightener is great but it expects uniform quads, it won't scale indiviadual quad's UVs but instead averages the quad sizes. Still some manual tweeking needed.

You know how you were saying that all this stretching wouldn't sit well with diffuse or normal map textures? Normals will stretch fine, they do it all the time in reach but it looks like they unwrap a second UV Set for detail-normals/diffuse textures. Kinda like what snefer was doing in his thread with the ultra low res environment texturing.
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    I know what Computron means by the STL check.
    Halo 1 and Halo 2 used an old radiosity algorithm that requires the BSP geometry to be water-tight sealed with no holes. Also its collision was generated from the same closed geometry to split the world into convex shapes for portal-ing/culling. I doubt halo reach requires such things after seeing the types of complicated geometry it has especially when you manage to shove a camera outside of the playable area.
    But yea what Autocon said about straitening UVs is correct. I also recommend having a single texture containing multiple trims and tiles horizontally. That way you can model your trims and then just match the UVs up to the trim of your choice.

Here is an example of a trim atlas I made for an old Halo CE map I never finished...
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin, the UV straightener is great but it expects uniform quads, it won't scale indiviadual quad's UVs but instead averages the quad sizes. Still some manual tweeking needed.

It will only average quads if you check the options for Average Us and Average Vs. As far as UV tools I also highly recommend Textools by RenderJHS
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo, thats exactly what I was doing! GET OUT OF MY HEAD. :-)
    That looks like it could have been made by Bungie, reminds me of ODST. like half of their textures are just fancilly unwrapped trim.

I think the main parts like the skybox and terrain still need to be sealed air tight but things like instanced geo can stick out just like in Halo 2.

@Justin:

I figured out that it WILL actually individually average them based on their size just before you apply the script so I just have to split some of them up, relax and then run it.

I am using Textools, but the feature That I want for this called rectify seems to not work. No biggie since the UV straightener seems to do the trick now that I got the hang of it. Thanks Man!
  • lloyd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rectify will work but sometimes you'll need to use it on smaller sections and work upto it, or use the linear align tool in conjunction with it.
    Think about how the program sees the points, it can't make it into all rectangles if its to messed up.

you might be expecting too much. like a 1 click solution

stright_uvs_max.jpg

speaking of rectify, does anyone know of a tool like this in maya? I think it has one.
    I'm unwrapping a wheel and want to straighten out all the uv's. with relax is seems to bottle neck the ends. the above picture is from Max where i could just use textools
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin's recommendation, the UV straightener script is practically a one click solution. Works much better than rectify.

I tried using rectify, but I never got it to actually do a single thing, it wouldn't even move a vert. Maybe I am using it wrong?
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon wrote: »
    Untrue, having worked at Bungie I can tell you that they use Max for the majority of things, and a few use Maya. These are mostly the animators, FX artists and a character artist or two. While there during Reach every Environment artist used Max.

The tools Justin linked are very much like the tools we used for Unwrapping at Bungie only in the most basic basic form. Bungie has quite possibly the best unwrapping custom built tool suit for Max or any 3d modeling program I have ever seen or have heard about. It had so many amazing and time saving features built into. Losing those tools was such a huge blow when leaving Bungie haha :)

It did very similar functions to the tools Justin showed of it could straighten things out evenly in a line, only objects didnt need to be pre-unwrapped with even UV's. All the UV's could be completly squeked and broken and the tool would unwrap them, align them, scale the strips and place there position in the UV editor window based on parameters you set. Handled curves great, but could have issues with 90 degree angles, and was best used with quads and tris caused problems.

For New Alexandria, the level I worked on that had a lot of soft curved surfaces and bevels to the architecture it was a life saver, and honestly the only way I would ever wish to unwrap things. We of course used instances and only had to unwrap somethings once and then could built up the level. But it also gave the freedom to add more unique forms in there as unwrapping wasnt a bitch as it is for most people.

Oh, i apologize then i just assumed after in some of the vidocs i saw people using maya for modeling :) so do they give environment artists the option to use either maya or max? or do they want you to learn max?
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    speaking of rectify, does anyone know of a tool like this in maya? I think it has one.
    I'm unwrapping a wheel and want to straighten out all the uv's. with relax is seems to bottle neck the ends. the above picture is from Max where i could just use textools

Try this :

http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/downloads/scripts-plugins/texturing/c/uvdeluxe

The edge straightening tools will help you grid UVs. There's a bunch of other handy stuff too.
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try this :

http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/downloads/scripts-plugins/texturing/c/uvdeluxe

The edge straightening tools will help you grid UVs. There's a bunch of other handy stuff too.

after reading this thread and making my most recent post i went to creative crash to download some uv tools and i just downloaded this exact tool before looking back at this thread lol