Home General Discussion

Is my graphics card worth upgrading?

I've been trying to figure out if my graphics card is worth upgrading since I think I only have a pci express x16 1.0 port on my mboard (its a proprietary stuck together thing from hp.)

the hp compy number is e9160f

here is the page on the mboard: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01746799&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3986809#N414

and I have an nvidia geforce gt 230

all I can seem to find online for this thing points me to the 230M, mine is an actual card with a fan and stuff though since it's a desktop.

It has run games on the unreal engine 3 extremely well (mass effect 1/2, dragon age 1, war for cybertron) but has had some major slow downs with witcher 2 and rage. They are playable but not at highest settings. The original crysis runs fairly well too at 1024x768 on high.

I'm just curious if upgrading the graphics card on a fairly limited mboard like this would help me at all.

Thanks for any help :)

Replies

• achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also I'm just confused whether newer games like rage and witcher 2 really look that much better, or are just less efficient than unreal engine 3. The consoles have been running the same tech for the last 5 years, so why should anything for pc run any better or worse, year by year if it's also on consoles.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Desktops from manufacturers like HP are barely worth upgrading. Even barely worth buying, honestly...
    That said, not sure if PCIe 1.0 is that bad so it could be worth the try.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Also I'm just confused whether newer games like rage and witcher 2 really look that much better, or are just less efficient than unreal engine 3. The consoles have been running the same tech for the last 5 years, so why should anything for pc run any better or worse, year by year if it's also on consoles.

Almost all console games will run at the resolution of 1280x720 or less even, most pc's come with 1280x1024 minimum, with many even sporting 1920x1200 monitors, this requires a bit more of screen-area to render since the users will not often want to drop the resolution, not only that, you have to take into account people increasing effects and texturesizes to account for a much more crisp screen to play on.

Witcher 2 is quite the pc game though, using a bit more hardware than the regular 360 game, it's hard to make the unreal engine 3 comparison, as it's just an engine and not a specific look or performance-requirement for a game, as one UE3 game might require vast amounts more than another.

And then we have most games being designed and optimized especially for the consoles so most of the performance can be squeezed out of them.

As for rage, there might be some driver issues or specifics around megatexture that makes it slow down, as rage should not require a monster of a computer, but if the megatexture stuff can't work as it should it might slow down.

here's a video I found on youtube of a 230m (mobile geforce) running rage:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKbNk64h6I8"]RAGE Gameplay PC HD - YouTube[/ame]

Still, your mobo has pci-e, so you should be able to put it any modern gpu in there as long as you have the psu to support it (which you most likely have) and as long as your other parts won't bottleneck it.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He has a cheap pre-built HP.. he doesn't have the PSU to support any sort of GPU upgrade.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    As long as there's enough power(350W is probably not enough) and cooling, I think a new GPU is worth trying as the cpu(Q9300) and the ram(8 gb) are nice.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    RexM wrote: »
    He has a cheap pre-built HP.. he doesn't have the PSU to support any sort of GPU upgrade.

True, which is why it comes with a low-power variant of a geforce I guess, since it doesn't pull as much as a regular card.

A 450-500watt replacement and a modern mid range gpu should blast that computer to the heavens though.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I really wouldn't bother with upgrading it then. Most rotten parts about prebuilt desktops like that are mobo, psu, case, in that order. Motherboard is meant to be compatible with a very select range of hardware, psu has output and connectors to support probably nothing else than what came with it and case will be terribly cramped and have little airflow.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm okay so the verdict is don't upgrade then. For those of you who think I should, what card would you reccomend. Again, anything that is x32 or x16 2.0 is pointless right?
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I was going to suggest 560 Ti but really the case may not be built for that amount of airflow. It would be useless if the GPU heats too much after half an hour.

Maybe you should save for a new custom built pc. 560 Ti would still be a good option now but if you need some months to put together the money, then you should probably wait for the new nVidia cards. They are supposed to be released in Q1 2012.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    is this the computer you have ?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883107988

it says it is HP Pavilion Elite E9160F and according to HP site the motherboard does support PC x16 2.0 and 2.1

also check this link:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01746799

mobo details:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01761434&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=115&contentType=SupportFAQ&prodSeriesId=3942792&prodTypeId=12454

http://www.findlaptopdriver.com/ipiel-la3-eureka3-motherboard-specs/

[EDIT]:

also here are the three Intel motherboards with the same G43 chipset and all of them seems to have one PCI x16 2.x slot.

http://ark.intel.com/compare/41036,35360,43604

so make sure you have the above system because it looks like you already have the 2.x slot and can buy newer cards.
  • dpadam450
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpadam450 polycounter lvl 9
    I would hit up a GTS 450. I got one about 8 months back for 99 bucks. Its a beast card, not that old, supports GL 4.0 and DX 11.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow, thanks for the help MM! I don't see where it says 2.0 anywhere on the hp sites, but I see it on the laptop driver one, and newegg. Awesome, this means I should definitely upgrade then!
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    Um, yeah. You're not going to have an easy time upgrading that GPU. From the pics, it looks very tight in there, as is most OEM PC's. If you want to go cheap, upgrade the case along with the GPU (cheaper than a whole new PC at least). Get a good case too. That way you will have plenty of room to upgrade in the future.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    wow, thanks for the help MM! I don't see where it says 2.0 anywhere on the hp sites, but I see it on the laptop driver one, and newegg. Awesome, this means I should definitely upgrade then!

like mentioned above, you will most likely need a new power supply if you get a semi-new card.

most of them use 150W max power while your old one use 75W.

also, i wouldn't not change the casing just yet without checking if your new card fits, since ripping all the components off of the HP case could be a hassle knowing how bad HP craftsmanship is usually.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Upgrading the case is going to extend the life of his components though. New PSU, GPU, and a case will give him more performance and better cooling. It will also free him to upgrade at will because once you have a good case, you can use it over and over since they change so rarely. I have an Antec 900 V3 and it's a good case. It has all 120mm fans for good air flow with minimal noise and all the intake fans have removable dust filters. It has lots of room for large components.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Talked to a local place today, I can get a 500 watt psu for $30 bucks, a gts 450 (their reccomendation, they claim it will be about a 150% boost in performance) for $135 and will install it for $10

sound good?
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That sounds suspicious. $30 for a 500W PSU seems low, especially for a local shop. Not all PSU's are created equal. Some have a weak 12v rail or low grade components. The claim of 150% boost in performance is nothing but bullshit. Entry level cards are not going to go up in performance that much between a couple generations. They're trying to play you for a sucker. They have no idea how much performance you will get from the new components without actually testing them in your system. Go online, do some research (read this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-psu-review,2916.html), do some price comparison, order it online and install it yourself. You'll save money, learn some valuable knowledge, and get a better upgrade than what they are offering you.
  • dpadam450
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpadam450 polycounter lvl 9
    I would make sure that card will fit, in smaller cases I think I have a mid-tower and there isn't much room in that even for my setup. If the card doesn't fit, just get a new case. You can also get that gfx card for a little cheaper and overclocked: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130572 , to pay 10 bucks to install it would be insane, learn how to do it. You pull the old one out, plug the new one in.

You can find cheap power supplies. I have found plenty of cheap ones.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817822013
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpadam450 wrote: »
    I would make sure that card will fit, in smaller cases I think I have a mid-tower and there isn't much room in that even for my setup. If the card doesn't fit, just get a new case. You can also get that gfx card for a little cheaper and overclocked: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130572 , to pay 10 bucks to install it would be insane, learn how to do it. You pull the old one out, plug the new one in.

You can find cheap power supplies. I have found plenty of cheap ones.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817822013

It's not wise to look for a supply that is merely cheap. You want to find a PSU that is of a reliable build quality, efficient, and has sufficient power on the 12v rail(s). I wouldn't buy the Diablotek simply because the price is low. $30 power supplies of significant wattage aren't typically well made (low grade capacitors and heat sinks) and when they fail, they can do a lot of damage. Read the reviews, especially the negative reviews. They can inform you of a fatal flaw a PSU has if it's an issue being repeated in the customer reviews, possibly saving you from a bad purchase.

I will say again, I recommend that if you're going to upgrade you GPU that you look into getting a bigger case. A higher performing card will generate more heat in your already tight-spaced enclosure. Getting a larger unit will increase the amount of air to displace the heat in and allow better, larger fans to push more air around. You don't have to spend much, as a $50 limit will get you what you need and you can use it over and over compared to that HP case which is throw away once you need more than mere token upgrades.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    If anything a GT 520. GTS 450 might destroy your power supply... Up to you really.

If I were you I would save up for building a better PC, prices usually drop after christmas because of newer tech releases.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Any standard graphics card should fit in a mid-tower as long as it has standard dimensions, and will have enough airflow for it.

HP's are very custom to their own needs, so I would most likely agree to what has been said about getting a new one, and yes to getting a slightly more expensive 500watt, just to be sure it is of good quality.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm maybe I won't upgrade then. If there isn't at least a double in performance I don't think it's worth doing.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well I'm running skyrim on ultra @ 1280x1024 so that pretty much settles it, not upgrading for now.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    well I'm running skyrim on ultra @ 1280x1024 so that pretty much settles it, not upgrading for now.

Haha, lucky bastard, people with more powerful rigs are getting less performance :P

It's always good to see what games one would upgrade a computer for, as games are still tightly tied to the console-generation of hardware, which isn't getting any faster.

And so when there is a game you really want to play that will struggle on your computer, that's when you upgrade. (but first make sure it's actually due to performance and not drivers or bugs)
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did turn off AA. but I've never really liked it on, its not worth the fps it steals, unless you're getting well over 60fps (wow or something)