Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Watchtower (WIP)

Hello!

I wanted to work on a small scene during my autumn school break and I came across this paper model of a watchtower, so there we go :)

http://ecardmodels.com/product_info.php?products_id=1365
(This is the reference by the way, not the actual 3d model)

Im trying to keep this as low poly as possible and I will add details like doors and windows in the texture map. Currently my scene is at 604 triangles. I will be doing the textures hand painted.

watchtower02wip01.jpg

Modelling stage is more or less done, so tomorrow Ill do the UV unwrap and then I can hopefully start texturing :)

Replies

• Mgoblue412
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mgoblue412 polycounter lvl 5
    why is there a chimney?
  • ranger_park
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    are you going to texture it so it looks like paper in your reference?
  • linkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    linkov polycounter lvl 10
    Usually, making lowpoly model also means that its texture should be lowres as well. Lowpoly model under 1k triangles, but with 1024 texture, for example, doesn't make much sense in terms of not wasting resources.

In your case, painting doors and window on the texture, means that each wall of that tower will require its own space on your texture and this is not good at all.

Adding a little more geometry - exactly 2 triangles per door/window (no need to cut it into the tower), will not raise polycount too high, but will allow you to use tiling textures. Just be smart about it.

And if you're so inclined to make it lowpoly, you can always remove thickness of that roof, and railings can be done with planes and alpha-channel.