Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Some FPS Hands I made

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
BeautyShot-copy1.jpg
Working with some buds on a mod. Made the hands for the player along with some other stuff. Trying to improve with each model! Crits very welcome.

Replies

• cdevens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cdevens polycounter lvl 7
    The hands look good, but if they are FPS hands, could you post a shot from that perspective. It would help so you could see how different areas hold up from the angle that you would view these from.
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It will mostly be the right hand holding the weapons and the left will come in to help reload. Once they rig them up I'll post another shot!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you've got some proportional issues here to work out before you rig it up, just a few quick notes:

A. The fingers seem small and taper down to the fingernail oddly
    B. The palm seems large compared to the forearm
    C. The proportions seems somewhat childlike overall?
    D. You got a pretty unnatural pose there with the fingers stretched out really far, its sort of off-putting
    E. Your texturing/normal map(high res?) could use a lot of work. It seems like you got basically one flat, pale color, and strange creepy veins. There doesn't seem to be much of the underlying bone structure defined in the normal map. No arm hair or anything, again suggesting child like, maybe that was the goal?
    F. The green patch things just seem out of place, poorly integrated.
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eh the spec might be throwing off the diffuse a little. Still trying to get the hand of marmoset. I modeled them after my own hands, and made them so they would be easily rigged. I'll post another pick with less spec. No I didn't put any hair..not sure if I should add some cards or just paint it in. Any suggestions?
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @EarthQuake yeah I think the fingertips are just a tad thin. Damnit. And I do need to pump up the diffuse a bit. The SSS is not popping through enough. That's what I get for finishing at 4am and thinking I was done. lol
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    In addition to what EQ said this one could help too:

http://www.androidblues.com/handtut.html

Don't worry about veins yet BTW. Once you nail down the larger structures, it will be realtively easier to make believable veins by using reference.
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok re-sculpting hands. I shortened the palm a little bit and fattened out the fingers. I'm leaving them in the pose they are though for the rigger. The fingers are bent for a reason. As far as the accessories...this is Lt. Hicks from Aliens. He had short sleeves, a tracking watch and a shitty wristband.
    Thanks for all the feedback. I'll re-post when I have something to show.
  • Donavonyoung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Donavonyoung polycounter lvl 6
    One thing I do if I am having problems with hands, is to just look at my hands. They are perfect reference that I can manipulate to look at any angle. Really focus on the major forms of the hand. Break down the shapes, and really study the anatomy of the hands.