Home General Discussion

asking for patience

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
hey, this thread is about sharing your stories concerning those who support you through your underdog times.
the girlfriends, moms, siblings and roomates who see your goals. and dont just want to take up your time.

what people in your life have you had to refuse attention too or outright ignore because of time commitments, did they understand or did they forsake you?

I for one have been telling my girlfriend for the past six months, through her following me to GDC, through my short, but unpaid "internship", and through my countless hours spent at the computer instead of with her that this is going to be my big break. and despite it never seeming to actually BE my break her continual support of my cause.

so, instead of cursing those around you who don't support your plan, now is your chance to thank those who have carried you through your darkest hour, and believed in you despite no one else doing so.

Replies

• tehrobster2
    Offline / Send Message
    tehrobster2 polycounter lvl 11
    Hey my friend good idea for a thread! I would like to thank my girlfriend as well, I followed her to Korea to teach English and to be with her. And while being here, If I am not at work or resting, I am working on my portfolio. Spending hours at the coffee shop working or in my work room working and only spending time with her during rest times or late at night. And she continues to support me and be with even so. And sometimes she surprises me with tutorials that I tell her about sometimes. So I would like to say thank you to her on here =D
  • beancube
    Offline / Send Message
    beancube polycounter lvl 17
    Yeh i feel ya man! Definately not fun to alienate your friends/family to pursue a dream.
    But thats how you reach it... dedication & focus.

I left my post as Senior Artist, in an awesome city full of all my best mates. To start developing mobile titles with old colleages that are scattered worldwide.

Sold all my shit, my car - furniture - electronics/appliances etc etc.
    Ive moved States, bunking in with family with no access to friends at all. Only Facebook and phone and you get pretty bummed out. ( havent lived in the family home since i was 18 - now in my mid 20's)
    My family think im crazy.

You gotta follow your dreams, otherwise ull kick yourself later on in life.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Hey my friend good idea for a thread! I would like to thank my girlfriend as well, I followed her to Korea to teach English and to be with her. And while being here, If I am not at work or resting, I am working on my portfolio. Spending hours at the coffee shop working or in my work room working and only spending time with her during rest times or late at night. And she continues to support me and be with even so. And sometimes she surprises me with tutorials that I tell her about sometimes. So I would like to say thank you to her on here =D

Which city are you teaching in? Did you do a TEFL?

I had the exact same plan, even completing a TEFL right now... but my Korean (ex)gf couldnt handle that I needed time for myself for personal projects etc and we ended up splitting a week ago. Shit sucks, you're lucky :)
  • tehrobster2
    Offline / Send Message
    tehrobster2 polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah I am lucky =D, Umm I dont know really. I just looked up schools looking for English teachers and then sent my Resume and then got the job and moved here.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Lots of info thanks! XD