Home Technical Talk

Mudbox or ZBrush?

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
Anty polycounter lvl 16
Hi. I'm working to a scene and now that I've modeled the high poly objects in Maya, I want to add some details to them. I intend to learn one of this programs: Mudbox or ZBrush; to detail my models.
What program should I use in your opinion? ... my work is on environment part, I like to model buildings, props ...
Thanks! ;)

Replies

• J.D.*
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been using Mudbox for a little while now and mainly because everything is pretty straight forward and easy to learn. I've seen some great results with zbrush but the learning curve is pretty steep.

I'm also curious of some opinions on this as I think it's been awhile since 1 of these threads popped up, with the newer releases of both programs.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Zbrush has a ton more features but if you want to just do detail passes on your hi poly, either one will do just fine. Zbrush is just stuffed with features so if you had to buy one, it would be zbrush since you can do more with it.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    It's personal preference, really. Mudbox has been kicking ass recently. Mudbox's texturing tools are vastly superior to Zbrush's by far, and it is very, very easy to learn. Just install and go sculpt. (in 2012, sculpting is seriously really good)
    People keep saying that Mudbox has fewer brushes than Zbrush. While this is technically true, people forget/don't know how to use stamps in Mudbox properly. You can make just about any brush available in Zbrush, in Mudbox. (With the exception of the new hard-surface brushes)
    A huge advantage of mudbox is the fact that is it real 3D, not some weird 2.5d pixols (yes, pixols). Mudbox sculpting is quick, accurate, navigation around the viewport is just like that in Maya and Max. You'll get the hang of it really fast.

Whereas Zbrush, the learning curve is very steep. You'll go through a few days swearing and cussing, trying to navigate the unintuitive interface.
    However, once you've found your way around Zbrush, it definitely beats mudbox when it comes to sculpting, with all the extra features and such.

Each have their own pro's and cons. Check out the tools available in each, and weigh your own pro's vs. cons. Like I said, personal preference. As a long-time mudbox user, I'm just starting to learn zbrush, because of the tools it has that will benefit my workflow in the long run.

Try them both! There are trials available for free.
  • Eastlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I used both zbrush and mudbox.

Zbrush is very hard to get used to and learn how to use properly, but once you do you will have an edge over mudbox cause of all of its features.
  • MadnessImport
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I mainly use Zbrush because i dont have a graphics card. meaning i can only use 2 versions of mudbox and they barely run properly.

At first i thought Zbrush was hard and annoying, i thought what people said about learning it would be tough but i watched "Ryan kingslien: Comprehensive Introduction to ZBrush 4" and was completely blown away on how awesome ZBrush is. I didn't know the UI can be customized so extremely. i didn't know that it could UV i thought Zspheres were useless and i barely even knew how awesome the Move brush was. now its all clear to me just how amazing Zbrush can be.

Now i still would rather use Mudbox because i use Maya and the first time i opened Mudbox i was able to start sculpting something without even knowing a thing. The controls were pretty much the same and at first glance the UI wins you over.

Its the little things that make me love a certain software. first ill narrow it down to what it does then ill go for:
    The UI
    Customization
    Similar presets/Hotkeys/Camera controls
    Name.

I do adore the price of Zbrush to and that you get free upgrades instead of sacrificing your soul for a later bugged out build with a feature that should have been there from the beginning.
    With the proper help Zbrush is very easy to get use to. I learned everything i wanted just from that one Workshop you'll understand the UI is what you want it to be but the camera WILL take much time getting use to. (Don't use Zswitcher it only makes things worse)

Zbrush never crashed on me either
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zbrush hands down.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really have to recommend ZBrush as well. I've used both and since learning ZBrush, I don't think there's really any comparison. ZBrush, just do it, you'll be happier. :)

Get the Eric Keller book on learning ZBrush 4. By the end of it, you'll be able to get around and get stuff done without a problem!
    Don't use Zswitcher it only makes things worse
    Yes, agreed! I fell into that trap myself. Just learn the ZBrush native way and you'll be way better off. Once I realized that I could use the right mouse button for camera stuff and didn't have to click in the void anymore, it became a non-issue.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I depends how used you are to other 3D apps. For instance if you have been using Max or Maya for while, you will like Mudbox better because of the fast response time of the viewport letting you check your model from all angles at the blink of an eye. Zbrush navigation is very sluggish in comparison.

Regarding sculpting : Zbrush has more exotic brush that can really help you nail down the final stages of a model. However, when it comes to massing things out I find Mudbox more responsive and more accurate. Its also important to consider that mudbox will gove you a real perspective - exactly the same as what you would get in a game engine or a regular 3D app. Zbrush has more of an orthographic feel (even in persp mode) which is helpful sometimes, but the lack of proper 3D is a huge weakness.

Z has great mesh editing tools (extract, remesh, dynamesh, Zspheres), Mudbox has none of that.

I personally use Mudbox for all my sculpting, and Zbrush for the rest (adding pieces, starting an armature, and so on). I would recommend to learn Mudbox first, then adding Zbrush to your arsenal later.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I agree with Pior on this one. Start off in Mudbox and then learn Zbrush once you've got a handle on sculpting. Zbrush has, as others have mentioned, a ton of features and a wacky, stupid, unintuitive interface that will only frustrate you.
  • TeZzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TeZzy polycounter lvl 12
    I would learn both. For me personally, I find that I can get into really small details with zbrush and really refine things. Probably can do the same in mudbox if I spent more time sculpting in it than texturing. I agree with using mudbox first to get you use to the idea of sculpting, then if you feel you have grasped mudbox, give zbrush a whirl.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    Not sure why, but Zbrush brushing feels like brushing on a solid object ( feel weight and mass as stroke builds up surface )
    conversely Mudbox always felt like brushing on an eggshell surface. Build up feel is flimsy/delicate to me. ( probably just my preference resulting in such a perception )

Also in mudbox it is initially a real struggle for me to get sharper frequency details ( mudbox is more work not to be so muddy ).

Like mentioned by everyone else...
    If u r use to Maya viewport navigation, than navigation and object manipulation in Mudbox will be enjoyable.
    So much so for me that I suffered my complaints about mudbox for that ease of viewport handling. ( wish photoshop would "get it" as well and adopt alt rmb mmb lmb navigation in it's 3d offerings )

However.
    Since Zswitcher was introduced by draster I now get my Maya navigation in Zbrush,
    And I haven't looked back since.

Also
    $$$
    Now that Zbrush 4r2 has been released I'ts dam easy to appreciate how every update is FREE!
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    My vote goes to zbrush. Spend the few minutes required to get the hang of how zbrush works (mainly just learn the difference between the tool and the document, how zbrush treats materials), and you're left with a beast of a program that is easy, powerful, and has a fair amount of customizability. It certainly doesn't feel sluggish, less responsible, or less accurate.

Late Edit:
    I guess I should also mention the nice toolset zbrush has when it comes to modeling hardsurface props, buildings, and seamless textures.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I would say ZBrush, that is the wise investment. Also, because you can prototype stuff for environment, plus Decimation master should generate so nice game level models for the trifle of assets.

I was recently vouching for Mudbox, but had a change of heart, since Mudbox still is somewhat underwhelming.

The UI customization is next to nil; as in good luck keeping everything under you left hand. Pressing Ctrl+Alt actually locks keys, forcing you to press them again, sometimes, locking down in turn the scale of you brush size.

People should stop criticizing ZBrush for it's 'wacky interface' since it's less wacky then Mudbox. Mudbox interface is utter crap, with lots of space gone to waste, and extremely bizarre set outline. It might seem easier, but overall, it blows.

The texture tools, while powerful, lacks basic stuff like smudge, stuff which even Max's Canvas has, and trying to use the bridge function between Max, Photoshop and Mud is a nightmare, especially with 4K textures. Normal maps are the worst offense in this regard, especially if you want to load up a low poly model, and put up you normal map, so that you can start your diffuse and such.

I also don't mind noting you that the hotkeys are extremely unfriendly. Allowing the user to customize the Ctrl key, without a warning that it used by the Clone tool, until I access the clone tool much later on is just lazy.

The x64 bit of Mudbox is also a big joke, I wasn't expecting a miracle, but the performance is still sub-par to x32 version of Mud.

Their solution of 'select parts you want to crease', a function with ZB had ages ago, and in Max's case, a plugin with which you can import the smoothing groups to ZB, is something which Mudbox just got, and is very poor at that as well.

Overall, I honestly can only recommend ZB. If you have spare change or access to Mudbox later on, learn both by all means, but investment wise, ZB is the better mileage by far.
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I learned Mudbox originally, which was really a great start into sculpting, had everything you need.
    I then tried ZBrush and it was a really different feel for me.
    I think the texturing is better for me in Mudbox, but you can't go past the brushes and the way that you sculpt in ZBrush. So much control. Also getting normal and diffuse out of ZBrush is really easy too.
    The only thing I don't like about ZBrush is the camera control. Maybe I haven't used it enough to get used to it, but it seems really awkward. The 'pivot' point of rotating around a model seems to change all the time and sometimes the camera goes all out, I'll have to sculpt on an angle to see a certain part.

Other than that, they are both good choices, but ZBrush is a bit more advanced IMO
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    The 'pivot' point of rotating around a model seems to change all the time
    The default option always changes the pivot to the last place on the tool that you click.
  • MadnessImport
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid wrote: »
    The default option always changes the pivot to the last place on the tool that you click.

Is there a way to change this or make it stop?

If there is i dont know where to look to change it :/
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    The local transforms button (you'll want the button unpressed in order to stop centering on the most recent editing point). I keep it on for the most part as it really comes in handy when one needs to quickly zoom in and orbit around specific parts.
  • MadnessImport
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks cryrid!

Would you happen to use a tablet with Zbrush?
    I was told by a few that rotation is easier with one.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    For anything other than quick tests, yup (although those seem to be mostly what I do these days, lacking any sense of fire under my ass >.<). For the majority of the time I tend to stick with the newer right-mouse button navigation regardless of what I'm using (I'm not sure what it is technically called on the stylus, but the button that acts like RMB). I also find it helpful to visually isolate the parts of the mesh that I'm working on as well.
  • Aigik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm a mudbox guy. Honestly, I've tried to learn ZBrush, and I still want to, but for the life of me, I just can not get used to the UI.
  • Crispy4004
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mudbox has vastly superior texturing. It also has perspective that isn't a broken turd. That means, your models can actually look the same going back to Max or Maya, who new. :poly121:

But Zbrush, in just about every other way, is superior. I like the sculpting tools more, and the freedom the rest of the features provide. Given the choice I'll use it hands down. Now if only they would fix the perspective. :poly122:
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    i didnt work with mudbox soo much, after a few weeks of getting in touch with zbrush i found my love ;) .. I think that you can learn mudbox much faster, but when it goes to details / brush and tool varriation - the mighty zbrush showes it strenghs..
  • Anty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anty polycounter lvl 16
    Wow, soo much feedback...
    I've tried the two programs a little, and yes, with Mudbox I get use to much quickly - that's probably because I use Maya. For ZBrush ... I think I'll have to watch some tutorials first, because I just don't know how to work in.
    I will learn the basics of this programs, and then decide witch one is better for my buildings/props models, etc (characters excluded :) ) - I will probably stay on ZBrush and follow your suggestions :) .... o , and if you guys know some cool tutorials on how to sculpt details - environment - buildings, rocks, etc please drop a link here

Thanks for your advices and good luck to your work
    (sorry for my nooby english)
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    *sigh*

As with ANY other situation where multiple proggies will work, the answer is simple:

Whichever you find easiest and fastest to work with.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    and if you guys know some cool tutorials on how to sculpt details - environment - buildings, rocks, etc please drop a link here
    The wiki has some good resources for rocks.

For buildings, Sebastien Legrain has some videos up on Pixologic's classroom about using Projection Master. I have a feeling getting used to the new noise system might also help for buildings (the noisemaker plugin isn't fully released just yet, but from a video I saw you could add a seamless alpha such as a brick pattern to act as the noise, allowing it to nicely update along the sides of a building even as you pull out new walls). For sculpting hard surface shapes in general you might want to check out some of the tips posted by Steve Warner, Etcher, Nicolas Garilhe, and Ofer Alon.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    What's so vastly superior about Mudboxes texturing? Genuine question. I haven't looked it it since before it was owned by Autodesk.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    in mudbox you are painting real textures based on uvs, no polypainting... you are able to paint on several textures at the same time... you have layer and masking like in PS... also different channels like specular, normal or opacity... and its really good in texture streaming... give it a try...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhgR00JsFSU&quot;]True 3D Painting in Mudbox 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

mud is far behind in sculpting... hope we will see some improvements there...
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    I've had a hard time getting good detail using Mudbox's painting tools, the brushes would be fairly imprecise and, more importantly, leave very jaggy brushstrokes. I was using a 4k map, in 8 bit however.. would switching to 16 bit help, maybe?

Basically went back to Max's Viewport Canvas, which works surprisingly well.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Seems like you were having issues. We're currently using Mudbox for texturing in production right now, and it works flawlessly. When you create your brushes, the end results are just as good as texturing in photoshop.

Another feature worth mentioning is Ptex. Ptex is pretty damn awesome.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Mudboxs painting is amazing, when it works. Try taking a low poly like MoP's Goblin sdk and painting it in Mudbox, the limitations become apparent very quickly.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Prophecies: Do you guys then bake down the diffuse texture within mudbox? Or Max? Be interesting to hear a Ptex workflow breakdown, i'm also thinking it might help with my painting problems, unlimited resolution and all that..

Another thing Max's Viewport Canvas does tons better is dealing with mirrored/stacked uv's and the like. Mudbox is way finicky there.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    PolyHertz wrote: »
    Mudboxs painting is amazing, when it works. Try taking a low poly like MoP's Goblin sdk and painting it in Mudbox, the limitations become apparent very quickly.

if you subdivide him two times it should work without any problems...
    and the edge bleeding works in 2012 much better than in 2011...
  • 3DMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I used to work for Autodesk as a demo artist and I would say that the biggest difference between ZBrush and Mudbox is the learning curve. You can get to know Mudbox basics in 5 minutes and probably feel comfortable doing production sculpting in less than 1 week if you throw yourself into doing a real project. After 2 weeks of real use you could be teaching others how to use Mudbox. The learning curve on Zbrush is more like 1 month due to it's quirky intuitive interface and unique tools, but that weakness becomes it's strength once you have overcome the steep learning curve. There are lot's of tools in ZBrush that are on the wish-list for Mudbox.

So, if you spend all day long sculpting for for a living, then ZBrush is worth learning ASAP.
    If you have to use lots of different 3d apps and just need a little sculpting and texture painting as part of your workflow then Mudbox might be the best solution for you.

Personally i would use what you like and makes sense to you.
    I hate trying to eliminate a tool if it solves my problem well.
    Mudbox is really fast at doing what it does and it's a great place for fast sketching and sculpting even if your primary tool is ZBrush.
    Even if I only used Mudbox, I would want a copy of ZBrush for the re-topo tools. That alone will pay for a copy of ZBrush real fast.

Best
    Mark
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    The learning curve on Zbrush is more like 1 month due to it's quirky intuitive interface and unique tools, but that weakness becomes it's strength once you have overcome the steep learning curve.

I think I spent about the first three-to-four hours thinking zbrush had a steep learning curve. Then I spent a short while watching Eat3d's introduction dvd and the zclassroom videos, then finished the work day doing a few short tests to evaluate my understanding of what I thought was going on. By the end of the second day I felt entirely comfortable using zbrush on its own and with my other 3d and 2d software.

I might try my hand at putting together a little introductory guide, because I'm pretty sure the only real trick is to understand the document and the material system.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    3DMark wrote: »
    I would want a copy of ZBrush for the re-topo tools. That alone will pay for a copy of ZBrush real fast.

ee... those retopo tools are not really good... better spend 100 bucks for topogun...
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    He may mean remesh/dynamesh, where you can cobble shapes together and instantly have something that is sculpt-friendly. Otherwise manual retopology in zbrush is a slow and cruel maiden that is in dire need of a good update.
  • 3DMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ cryrid; That's great that your experience was a quick one in learning ZBrush.
    I'm speaking in general terms about the ease of use for each application, your own personal mileage may vary.
    And yes I was speaking of the remesh/dynamesh.
  • Anty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anty polycounter lvl 16
    cryrid wrote: »
    The wiki has some good resources for rocks.

For buildings, Sebastien Legrain has some videos up on Pixologic's classroom about using Projection Master. I have a feeling getting used to the new noise system might also help for buildings (the noisemaker plugin isn't fully released just yet, but from a video I saw you could add a seamless alpha such as a brick pattern to act as the noise, allowing it to nicely update along the sides of a building even as you pull out new walls). For sculpting hard surface shapes in general you might want to check out some of the tips posted by Steve Warner, Etcher, Nicolas Garilhe, and Ofer Alon.

Thanks! Realy useful tutorials.

I usualy torn on SpeedFan when I play games or work in Maya or other 3d applications, and I noticed that Mudbox uses more of my graphic card and ZBrush more of the CPU
  • 3DMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anty wrote: »
    Thanks! Realy useful tutorials.

I usualy torn on SpeedFan when I play games or work in Maya or other 3d applications, and I noticed that Mudbox uses more of my graphic card and ZBrush more of the CPU

Your Mudbox experience will be VERY tied to your GPU.
    Just about everything is happening in the GPU.
    The more GPU memory you have the better, so if you're looking for an excuse to get your boss to buy that fancy new Quadro card or FireGL/FirePro card, Mudbox will perform better as you throw GPU memory at it.
    If you double the amount of GPU RAM you will almost double the number of sub-D polys you can push through it.

Best
    Mark
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    GPU ram has not much impact on polycount in mud... its the system ram you need for... GPU ram is only for texturing and faster texture streaming...
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    I'm not sure if this is still true but back when Mudbox 2009 came out people who had gpus with 1gb or more vram got significantly better sculpting performance then those with 512mb.
  • 3DMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu wrote: »
    GPU ram has not much impact on polycount in mud... its the system ram you need for... GPU ram is only for texturing and faster texture streaming...
    As a solutions engineer working at Autodesk I was informed otherwise.
    The 3d mesh is cached into GPU RAM. The more GPU RAM the larger the files you can load without degraded performance of the interface/feedback.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    3DMark wrote: »
    As a solutions engineer working at Autodesk I was informed otherwise.
    The 3d mesh is cached into GPU RAM. The more GPU RAM the larger the files you can load without degraded performance of the interface/feedback.

try to subdivide the mesh up to 80 mio... and you will see everything is goin into your system ram... with GPU ram you are really limited... its only for storing the textures... mud will run more smooth with more GPU ram but to go into high polycounts you need system ram... 24 gig or more would be best...

from the mud help
    The number of subdivision levels on a model directly affects the number of polygon faces and how much RAM is required. Unnecessarily subdividing a model to a very high polygon count rapidly consumes RAM and limits your ability to add sculpt layers and perform other work on the model.

http://download.autodesk.com/global/docs/mudbox2012/en_us/index.html?url=files/GUID-5713C752-6572-41E2-B2D9-469F8F55AE1-322.htm,topicNumber=d28e53248
  • 3DMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu wrote: »
    try to subdivide the mesh up to 80 mio... and you will see everything is goin into your system ram... with GPU ram you are really limited... its only for storing the textures... mud will run more smooth with more GPU ram but to go into high polycounts you need system ram... 24 gig or more would be best...

from the mud help

http://download.autodesk.com/global/docs/mudbox2012/en_us/index.html?url=files/GUID-5713C752-6572-41E2-B2D9-469F8F55AE1-322.htm,topicNumber=d28e53248

When you run out of GPU RAM it's got to go to system RAM.
    Then you will get slow downs.
    If you have 512MB you will swap out to system RAM much faster than if you have 6GB of GPU RAM.
    GPU RAM is for storing evrything from your screen's frame buffer the 2d AND 3d brushes AND the geometry/canvas that you are painting and sculpting on...
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    right.. but texture work is much more GPU ram intens... if i load 20 uv texture tiles there is not much left for geometry... and if you have only 4gig of system ram you wont be able to subdivide into a high polycount...
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    My vote is for Zbrush based on the free upgrade policy they've had so far. I purchased Zbrush 1 & Mudbox 1, I now have the latest version of Zbrush for no extra cost, it's about $400 to upgrade my copy of Mudbox.
  • Artist_in_a_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Artist_in_a_box polycounter lvl 7
    I recently did some work on rocks and ended up making a tutorial on rock sculpting in mudbox as there was very little on this when i was searching. I basically saw what people where making in Zbrush and wanted to do that in Mudbox but as I worked I realised that on its own Zbrush is by far more powerful than Mudbox (at least in what I was doing) And that Mudbox relies heavily on previous geo from other modelling applications whereas Zbrush works off the bat independently. (This is only refering to modelling though as I am uinfamiliar with Zbrush texturing capabilities)

For detailing existing work I would say Mudbox is a great and easy to use tool, but as a general purpose all in one I would say Zbrush. Even though it is harder to learn my studies in rock formation showed me that Zbrush users got better results faster than Mudbox. As yet Mudbox has served me well but I can see me learning Zbrush at some point as already I am beginning to see shortcomings. I think Mudbox has the potential there and if Autodesk play their cards right it could become the dominant sculpgint platform but its defintley not there yet,

Though a bit unrelated I must say If i could go back in time I would have started with Zbrush instead as honestly after learning Mudbox Zbrush scares the shit out of me.
  • Anty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anty polycounter lvl 16
    Hi again :D .... I learned a lil bit of Mud and ZB, and I think that I'll go with ZBrush, because I find it more powerfull for sculpting;
    I whant to ask you guys what brushes do you use for sculpting rocks, damaged bricks or walls, pillars ... that kind of stuff.
    In my little time that I spend with ZB I found that Clay + Smooth Subdiv is a good technique for sculpting this kind of stuff, do you know other methods?
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MalletFast is always a favorite for damaged stuff (I find that if I set the brush to have a square alpha texture and give it a SpinRate of around 3, I can get some good results pretty easily - look under Orientation on the Brush panel). I've also been getting into TrimDynamic for brick edges and things like that. If you want hard edges on things, you can also use hPolish which works well. Those are my quick suggestions!
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    @ 3DMark
    you are right... ive done tests today...
    mud makes heavy use of GPU ram also for geometry...
    sry...