Home Technical Talk

3DS Max's wonky viewport navigation.

Andreas
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Andreas polycounter lvl 11
Anyone have any tips and tricks they use to navigate with 3D Max's viewport view? I have that timeless issue where you want to zoom into something from afar and it gets slower and slower the closer you get, like the view is attached to a rubber band or something. I also find that my pan is much faster than my zoom, drives me nuts. How can fix these issues? Free solutions please, I cannot afford a space pilot or anything of the like :P

Replies

• Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    try "z" key to focus the view on your current selection ? Sometimes max gets confused with zooming, and this can "reset" it
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Max doesnt get confused, it's just rotation around your previous focus point, so you must update this point frequently. I press Z like 1000 times a minute. Whenever I make a selection, I make sure I press Z so I can rotate around that selection so I can zoom and pan with that view in focus.

What helped for me, is to use the ortographic view to work. Takes a while to get used to it, but it's much better to work when you get used to it, give it a shot!
    Also, with ortographic you can zoom as much as you want with the mouse wheel without the zoom slow down like it happens with the perspective view.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really? I was always told to stay away from ortho. I'll try that, thanks HP! I'll also adopt the 'Z' shortcut :P

Keep the tips coming guys if you have em!
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    mmh well sorry, it's not about the rotation focus.
    In perspective, the zoom is relative to the size of the object when you press z so the the move is coherent, hence if you focus on a big object and then try to zoom on a little object right after, it will be "slow" because the zooming ratio is still adapted to the big object. In the other way around, with the focus on a little object, the zoom will be too strong on a bigger object.
    I called it max confusion to simplify stuff, but indeed, it's a logical behavior, except max could be smart *cough* and auto-adapt the zoom to the object's size.
    But whatever, z fixes it.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    At the bottom right of 3D Max there is an Orbit button. Click and hold on that button, then select the bottom option, Orbit SubObject. This will help with the "fast rotation". Once you set it the Alt+Middle Mouse drag becomes slightly different. Instead of orbiting around the object you have selected it'll use the faces/vertices you have selected. This settings stays the same even after a restart.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm assuming that you are zooming with the middle mouse wheel?

You can also zoom by holding ctrl+alt+middle mouse button and moving the mouse up and down..when you zoom this way, you don't get that issue, but its more sensitive, so its harder to zoom at specific things sometimes.

Also, yes....I'm pressing z like...every 20 seconds when I'm modeling stuff.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HP - The zoom slow down is the worst. I've found that it's easier to zoom by holding ctrl+alt+MMB and dragging. It's much smoother and you don't get the slow down.
  • Boyso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyso polycounter lvl 7
    Or tick Zoom at mouse point in your preferences?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any tips on using a wacom with Max? Did any of you set it up so you can manipulate the viewports with the pen, keyboard?
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Andreas wrote: »
    Any tips on using a wacom with Max? Did any of you set it up so you can manipulate the viewports with the pen, keyboard?

Some artists I know use it, but then again, you must use ortho to work with a wacom.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Andreas wrote: »

I use a wacom with max. I've just set it up so that I have keyboard shortcuts for zoom, pan, and orbit (around selection)

otherwise it works fine. I use the quad menus a lot.
  • saturnfive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    saturnfive polycounter lvl 18
    I use a wacom with Max sometimes. It works pretty well once you have it all set up.

I have the button nearest the nib mapped to middle mouse button (so you can "alt-middle mouse" to rotate view) and the button nearest the eraser mapped to right click. You'll also want a hot key so you can pan the viewport (this is Z-MMB for me - I don't use the default hotkeys)

I tried to set up some fancier stuff at one point but alt-rotate (the only rotation option which doesn't interupt your current operation) is hard coded and not accessible in script.

Zooming: without a scroll wheel, you are limited to the ctrl-alt MMB zoom. That works ok as long as you zoom selected more often to reset the focal point.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Set up the buttons like Saturnfive described, and get DRaster Switcher for Max to enable Maya-style navigation - you will never look back.
    (this does not come from a Maya fanboy btw - I prefer Max for everything, but I too found its navigation scheme to be a problem.)

The orbit option Monster mentioned is super important too.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    I think I just hold down Ctrl when zooming or moving and Max is being "slow".