Home General Discussion

40-hour work week

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
jipe polycounter lvl 17
Motionographer just posted an article about finding work/life balance and the importance of limited (but highly efficient) work hours. The article is based on a blog post from a Microsoft engineer/project manager who used to pride himself on 100-hour weeks before realizing such efforts were unsustainable and unproductive.

http://motionographer.com/2011/10/12/worklife-the-40-hour-work-week/

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jmeier/archive/2010/10/21/40-hour-work-week-at-microsoft.aspx

Replies

• glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    This is a good read, and i agree that to be successful you do need a balance life. Too much of something and you loose sight of it and perspective, and your creativity diminishes. Maybe that is why people often find themselves at a roadblock and want help finding that motivation again.

I've heard lots of people say they've been in the industry long enough to understand that you leave work at work and that the time spent there is more than enough to satisfy the drive of making art. I tend to agree, there are more things than just work that one needs to experience if you want to be a well rounded individual. Not only at work or in your art, but socially, health and what not. More often i find that taking the time to unwind from work, dedicate time to family or just read a book gives me more perspective and a fresh mind to tackle things at work. With that said... work time is work time, and i do go beyond the 40 hr week to a 50 hr week. But being a lead requires the extra time to plan and be diligent in assigning tasks to fit a schedule. But 50 is more than enough, except when we have deliveries or ramping up to wrap up a game.

Just my 2 cents tho.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I do a 45 hour week typically. If it was a dream career-defining project then I don't think I'd mind doing the 80hr+ week but not otherwise.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Andreas wrote: »
    I do a 45 hour week typically. If it was a dream career-defining project then I don't think I'd mind doing the 80hr+ week but not otherwise.

If your career-defining project forces you to work 80hr+ weeks, then you're defining your career as 80hr+ weeks.

Fuck that.

I'd rather have shorter hours at a no-name studio doing Facebook games than 80 hour work weeks at a big name studio. I have a life, it's precious to me, and you'd better give me a goddamn good reason to be cutting into my private time with work. That goddamn good reason is called overtime pay, and even then it's a stretch to call it a goddamn good reason.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    At one studio I got laid off after doing ridiculous amount of crunch while at another I got a raise after a year of not doing a minute over 40 hours a week.

So don't voluntarily work overtime - that leads me to a question: say you're already 4 days ahead on your schedule and then the whole studio goes into crunch - has anyone successfully argued out of it?
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I do about a 60 hour week on average, with about 20 hours if indie shit on top. I go mad if I don't constantly have something to work on.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle wrote: »
    If your career-defining project forces you to work 80hr+ weeks, then you're defining your career as 80hr+ weeks.

Fuck that.

I'd rather have shorter hours at a no-name studio doing Facebook games than 80 hour work weeks at a big name studio. I have a life, it's precious to me, and you'd better give me a goddamn good reason to be cutting into my private time with work. That goddamn good reason is called overtime pay, and even then it's a stretch to call it a goddamn good reason.
    Yep. +1

A little crunch is ok every once in a while but if it becomes chronic then something is wrong and the place is probably horribly mismanaged on many levels.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    So don't voluntarily work overtime - that leads me to a question: say you're already 4 days ahead on your schedule and then the whole studio goes into crunch - has anyone successfully argued out of it?

Which is a good question, one of my teachers told me that it's a good idea to hand in your work atleast 3 days before it due, incase something happens or changes are needed, they can be done with a 3 day gain, which apparently is a holy-grail in the game industry, or so I was told, so you don't bring down the whole team or end up being the bottle-neck.

Question is, if you do so, and it lightens your load during crunch-time considerably, what is the etiquette in this area? Do you help the other people out in your team, or do you kick off early and keep to the 'schedule', even if there isn't much to do if you kept 3 day ahead of your projects?
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12

80+ is just stupid, that is just asking to be burnt out, and to lose your Girl and social life in the process too.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Fuck that.

If you were working on a Farmville clone, sure, you'd be up out of your chair a second before end of business; but if you were working for Valve and you knew those extra hours would make the game that much awesomer, wouldn't you do it? That's what I meant.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you were working on a Farmville clone, sure, you'd be up out of your chair a second before end of business; but if you were working for Valve and you knew those extra hours would make the game that much awesomer, wouldn't you do it? That's what I meant.

nah, my entire experience has been working on games I thought where pretty bad ass
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15

Nope, I wouldn't.

I have no allegiance or loyalty to any company who wants to make me work 16 hour days. My life is more important than the success of some company's game, thank you, so they could take their stupid work hours and shove 'em.

I'm in my mid-twenties. I'm not going to waste my best years fucking off in some office building on a shitty project that's going to line somebody else's pockets.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's kind of weird... From what I understand people at Valve work very decent hours and they have enough cash floating around to not have to worry about a publisher putting their nuts in a vice. They put those extra hours in to get the game polished if they need to, they just don't do all in one sitting or on one pay check.

If anything it would probably be the farmville clone company pushing their 1 artist to do the work of 5? Budgets being tight the company being small and new?

Personally I don't think it matters how big the company is, just how well its run. If someone wants to spend 80hrs per week, that's fine just don't hold it against the guys that get the same level of work done in 40hrs because that's what they're paying you for and that's probably what they expect you to work...
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It was an example; of significance to you; or one that nobody, not even your bosses are invested in, and one that everyone will forget two months after release.

I personally would pump a lot more into the former.

And I take my life, and my personal time, very seriously.
  • Rapante
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rapante polygon
    There is tons of research that shows neither you nor the company you work for will gain anything by continuously working in excess of 40 hours a week.

Most research seems to come to the conclusion that effects of overtime work will show signs of degrading work quality after only TWO weeks of continuous overtime.

Assuming a 60h week, you'll end up actually doing a 35h week because your productivity, mental capacity, memory and focus significantly drop.

This is because we do solve quite a lot of our problems when sleeping, it where we process the data gained over the day and learn from it subconsciously. So since overtime takes away your sleep and/or spare time it also takes away your productivity and ability to do the work the best you can.

In addition to that it causes a lot of health problems, like high blood pressure, insomnia and in some cases signs of depression.

No so called dream project is ever worth having all those problems with your personal health, your social life and your work itself. Overtime does not solve problems, it creates them. Don't let yourself being forced when the management screws up.

if you want to read about it just google it, or check those references:

http://www.brighthub.com/office/human-resources/articles/120237.aspx
    http://ascelibrary.org/coo/resource/1/jcemd4/v131/i6/p734_s1
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you don't really care about the game you probably won't make it through the interview process because those types of people are toxic to the overall morale.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is true, I feel that way myself after a few extra hours. A break (and bringing a nice dinner to work) works wonders for this.
    If you don't really care about the game you probably won't make it through the interview process because those types of people are toxic to the overall morale.

That's a bit of a sweeping statement, you could easily not be personally invested in Christmas racer 4 but still be a complete professional, friendly and helpful, someone who gets on well with the team.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this thread reminds me of this from the secret industry words article:

"Stockholm Syndrome: Usually refers to junior developers who are loving this hardcore crunch-laden life that is being imposed upon them because suffering gives meaning to their existence."
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Couldn't be further from the truth lol
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Don't be a slave.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    40 hour? Step up you game to the 4 hour http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/
  • Cortes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cortes polycounter lvl 6
    If you try to "give 110%" at your work, what's going to probably happen?

"Give us 200% or we have to let you go"

Trying to quantify your creative energy in some half-assed empirical way like that isn't just bs, it alienates you from understanding the benefits of a properly efficient and productive cycle. You lose perspective of time, and your creativity suffers.

Management doesn't understand this because this sort of thing is foreign to them and impossible to communicate most of the time, so they accept the cycle of overtime/overwork as a new standard and honestly wonder why the last team of employees were such burnouts who couldn't 'step up their game' or something after they offered to work 80+ hours.
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    whoops, wrong thread...
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Fuck that.

totally agree dude. I would never work at a studio where overtime isnt payed. That ll suck. An even if its payed I ll try to avoid it as much as I can. And dont get me wrong I love my job. Really like it, I do my 8 hours sometimes 9/10 depending if its a rush, but I dont fuck around I am productive. so Staying overtime bugs me. and yeah in the end nothing is more important than free time and going outside.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    cholden wrote: »
    40 hour? Step up you game to the 4 hour http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/

I actually researched that book. Seems it really only works for people in managerial positions. Mostly has you limiting meetings, phone calls, and emails that will save you a couple hours a day.

There's no way to trim how long it takes to make an epic badass piece of art... only your skills.

80 hours of work a week is tard. So much fail.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator

Fuck that.

+1

I work between 40 and 45 hours. If a problem really interests me, I might spend my own time on it at home, learning, researching.
    And sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do if you're a responsible person and stay longer. But in my case this is voluntarily and nobody swings the whip. If it were like that, fuck it.