Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Hobbit Environment Turntable Model

Started this project a couple days ago. Since I like watching the progress of stuff in threads instead of just seeing the end, I thought I would start posting now.

This is going to be just a high poly model for school. No textures. My teacher wants me to do almost all of it in Maya but at the end I plan on taking it into zbrush.

Concept:
scene2.jpg

Door Concept:
door.jpg

Current Progress:
tree2.PNG

Let me know what ya think!

Replies

• Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    sounds really cool. cant wait to see some more progress
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Ahh!! Hobbit hole! My dream home! :D Make it pretty ;)
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Although I must say, that is one cramped hobbit hole. I would either make the door smaller or the hill a little bigger because right now it looks like the resident will have absolutely no room to move around.
  • Tadao215
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tadao215 polycounter lvl 13
    that shield is a nice addition
  • alloa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alloa polycounter lvl 12
    I think it's a door! :poly142:
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's a shield and a door :P
  • jmt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmt
    Is this supposed to be the entire house, or just the front door? It looks like a shed or little cellar, rather than a house. Remember how big Bags End is in the LoTR movies.

Also, I'm not sure how you're going to tackle the whole "turntable" thing. Will this be a cross section cutting through the ground, or a pedestal thing? The roots are wrapping around where the ground is cut off.

The door sort of looks like a shield. Is it supposed to be one? If so, I would make it more obvious and if not, I would make it more door-like. Maybe you could put a window, knob, knocker and/or hinges on it.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So really this is just supposed to be a little cellar. I liked the idea of the circle door and everyone said it looked like a hobbit door so I just thought I would throw that in the title.

My teacher just wants a section of land. He likes the idea of a turntable like they have on the pixologic website. He also like it when the turntable sort of become the environment, hence the roots wrapping around it.

The door design is something I just threw on. I totally like the idea of putting a window or knocker on it. The reason I didn't have a knob yet is because I hadn't figured out which side to put the design :P

Right now though I think the main thing he wants is a good tree... so that's what I'm trying to get done for tomorrow night.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    i was expecting a hobbit dj at a turntable :(
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    i was expecting a hobbit dj at a turntable :(

hahaha False Advertising!
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay I made a little progress this morning. I think I've got the main branches and roots in. Next step will to be adding branches and roots off these main ones.

tree3.PNG

Time for a lunch break and the latest dexter episode!
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I haven't put an update up in several days but that doesn't mean I haven't been working on it. Here is where I'm at!

AO_04.jpeg

wire_01.JPG
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Good progress there. Just a few lil things that are on my mind i agree with others that the hill needs to be a bit bigger or stretch it our, at the moment it looks like a hideout, shed or stockroom for a hobbit. The addition of the roots round the door is cool but by overlapping like that the door will never close, i thought it might be nice if they go around the edge of the door?

Also just wondering if you were going to extrude inwards so we get a feel for interior, i know this is at the beginning of the project, but was just wondering.

Get a nice stone footpath going to it and maybe a fence going round.

Keep going excited to see how this turns out!
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for the advice Sharvo!

I feel though that if I made the hill larger... than I would have to create more stuff to balance out the scene.

And the project is actually almost done. The assignment was really just to make a scary/creepy tree that, if you choose to, can be supported by a small scene. My teacher doesn't really care about the inside of the shed/closet/house/home/hole thing. I also think that the size of the hill was a problem to him.

For the scene in general I just wanted to make it have some sort of story. For example maybe, a fantasy village gets attacked and is forced desert their homes. Leaving behind signs or war and past beauty. So for that door I was just thinking that the owner was under attack and they need to abandon their home without any notice. That is why it is open and maybe this tree has started to grow into the home.

I know that my teacher loves those little back stories in environments, and I do too, so I just sort of had that in the back of my mind while making it.

The idea of a footpath is REALLY good. Fence too. I may throw that in before class tonight. It is due at the end of class (3 hour class) tonight. And I have time between now and then. So I'm probably going to be throwing this into zbrush and adding some irregularity to the tree and making the land more believable.

Thanks again for the input!
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So here it is! This actually isn't the raw render... I got it off fb because I'm too tired to plug in my external right now. Tomorrow I'll edit the link to a better image. I just wanted to show it off!

336903_2193653560390_1218690197_32216608_1619713995_o.jpg