Home Technical Talk

Mouse DPI?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Scizz polycounter lvl 11
So my mouse is a 5700 dpi, but the buttons are starting to crap out and I need to buy a new mouse. Unfortunately, if I want to buy a the same mouse I have now it costs 60 bucks. So I was wondering what dpi mice you guys have, and if I can still get efficient precision for doing work in photoshop, 3dsmax etc. with a lower dpi?
I searched in google and people were saying that for gaming 2000 dpi mice were more than enough, but for artists, 4000 and up is recommended. Not sure though. :\

Replies

• SkyWay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkyWay polycounter lvl 13
    My mouse has 5600 (http://cyborggaming.com/prod/rat7.html), can't really work with a standard and/or wireless mouse anymore :)

At least I think it's a very noticeable difference, the simpler mice stutter around the desktop, can't really do anything that feels precise with those.

Also, wrong forum section, I believe this belongs in the general discussion side
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    you can work efficent with 800dpi, my mouse got 6000 dpi but most of the time i work with 1600dpi.
    If you want precision get a Tablet not some fancy high dpi mouse.
  • SkyWay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkyWay polycounter lvl 13
    SpeCter speaks the truth there, though an A4 tablet costs a lot more than a proper mouse. I found it awkward using a tablet for 3D, so personally I've invested in my mouse and my tablet, for a combination of all things good :D
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I'm currently working with a 1600 DPI, €10 mouse, and for normal modeling it's just dandy.

But for sculpting you'll definitely want a tablet. You'll want to try a few different ones to see what you prefer. I personally prefer a cheap brand A4 over a small wacom, because it allows me to make large swooping strokes.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Odd, I prefer a nice 6x4, because I rarely draw with large swooping strokes - it's mostly wrist movement for me...

As for the mouse, mine appears to be 5600 DPI... but I haven't noticed that huge a difference between it and a $10 800 DPI mouse from Big Lots except for overall durability (the Big Lots mouse lasted me six months).
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah my method is probably not all too common. I set the tablet up on my lap, leaning against the edge of my desk. That way it feels very close to sketching in a blackbook or sketchpad. While you probably have it lying on the desk, likely in the spot where a mouse'd normally be.

Anyway, different strokes for different folks, which is why he should try several methods and find out what he prefers.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    I have my Tablet right in front of me, with a little tilt.I can´t think of a reason why anyone would have it where their mouse is.

In general it´s healtier to draw with your whole arm instead of only with the wrist(and its easier to draw straight lines)