Home Technical Talk

3ds max 2012, verts won't weld

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys, I'm using 3ds max 2012. I had 2 objects and I attached them and now I'm trying to weld the verts between them. Weld doesn't work, target weld doesn't work, collapse doesn't work. There shouldn't have to be a face between the verts right? Is this a known problem with max 2012, or am I just doing something wrong?

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can only weld open edges to other open edges, or verts that are connected by an edge, you might need to edit the triangulation or create an edge between the verts before you can weld.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I had to do this a really roundabout way, but I finally got the verts to weld =_= I appreciate the response Mark! :D
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Sometimes I need to convert to an editable mesh to get things to weld properly.

Nice portfolio. I especially like the environment concepts.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sometimes I need to convert to an editable mesh to get things to weld properly.

I'm pretty sure that doing that is usually an ugly way to cover up the problem. Editable Mesh will allow you to create non-manifold geometry, whereas Editable Poly makes it more difficult for that to happen, which can explain why you can weld things with an editable mesh that you cant with an editable poly..

Sounds like you already found a solution Jessica, but figured I'd throw this out there anyways. Almost always, when I can't weld to verts together its because something got screwy and I ended up having multiple overlapping verts in the same spot..so make sure that isn't the case first.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    May I suggest Xview? Use that to find any overlapping polies and stuff, it will save alot of headache.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks monster :)

Gsokol, I did check for hidden faces and overlapping verts - none for sure! But thanks for the reminder, because sometimes I do forget stuff like that.

Wow, Ace-Angel, Xview looks awesome! I will now definitely be using that haha