Home Technical Talk

Multiple Root Joints In Mesh Rig… But Why…?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
odium polycounter lvl 18
First of all, apologies for what you are about to read. I’m in no way an animator, so if I get any terminology wrong, blame the fact I can’t learn ANOTHER thing over night lol :p

Ok, so as you may know, I’m working on an indie title called OverDose, and we have our first person arms and pistol set up and animated. It should be working fine, aside from one issue… It won’t work in the engine. See the engine requires that the first person arms be set up a certain way so that we can use blend channels on them. Its pretty basic stuff, however when we get the mesh ingame and test the animation, it dumps out on us…

Now the problem comes from the fact the mesh has THREE root points. But when we look at the mesh, we can’t for the life of us see why. Its very annoying because we have a shit load of animations already completed for this thing, and hopefully it’s a simple fix, but we just can’t see where.

Heres the model file with a test animation. Its already compiled, so you will need a .md5mesh importer for Max etc, but I can look into getting the .max scene file for you if that’s no use.

http://www.team-blur-games.com/odium/FPS_Arms_Issue.zip

Opening the .md5Mesh file will show you that there are more than one root, as you can tell by the multiple “-1” joints there. There should only be a single one for this to work in the engine.

Any advice, however small, would be HUGE. Because we spent a good few hours on this last night and we feel the answer is about as basic as it gets, we just can’t see it.

Cheers lads and lasses.

Replies