Home Technical Talk

Mixing Mentral Ray with Maya Hardware?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
I'm using the blended normals hack to fake SSS on my human model. This renders very quickly on the Maya Hardware renderer. However, there is an object that attaches itself to the body model that needs to be rendered using mental ray in order to generate shadows. I'd like to combine the two so I can speed up my render times and just composite the shadows and the separate object in. The problem is, when I render in Hardware mode, the seperate object doesn't render right due to it needed Mental Ray. And when I render in Mental Ray, the fake SSS doesn't render.

So! Is there a way to over ride layers to use a different renderer? I only see the option for render setting over rides.

Anyone have any other ideas on this? I doubt if this would even work, but it's worth a shot.

EDIT: Never mind, I kind of found a trick to use... set the body to a white diffuse and let the shadows cast on that, then take the shadow pass layer from that and composite that on top of the body layer and the other layers. This works for me!