Home General Discussion

Business Influence on Game Development?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Scizz polycounter lvl 11
How much influence do the business and sales departments have on game development?
I've been hearing, and somewhat agree, that there haven't been a lot of really great games released in a while. I know a lot of people here have professional jobs in the game industry, so I figured this was the best place to ask.

Now I know there are things like deadlines that you have to meet, and therefore, your unable to put a lot of things you planned on putting into a game. But what about the content of the game itself? Are games that are labeled simply as "cash grabbers" due to the fact the developers are changing how they make the games, or are the business departments stepping in and saying based on stats and sales of X game, we need to make our game like X game.
I was just thinking about this on my way home from work and thought I ask what you guys think about it, or if business departments even have an influence at all?

P.S I don't intend to insult anyone's hard work on the games they've helped develop. Good or bad, everyone should respect and appreciate the hard work people put in to get them shipped.
=)

Replies

• Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Here's a quote from someone who may or may not have the ability to fire me and everybody else at his company:

"That's pretty much how this company got started, we just looked at what other people were doing and said, 'We can rip that off, haha!"

Business folks have a ridiculous amount of influence. It's why they're STILL making Halo games, and Call of Duty/Battlefield games, and why they make sequels that should've never been made ever. It's also why small indie games have turned into valuable gems lately, because they're such a refreshing dose of change and creativity and are usually not so influenced by "business folk" in their origins or creation.

Now, that being said - you can't really blame them. The numbers speak for themselves. But I do think eventually (at some point within the next 10 or 15 years) we're going to reach a plateau, and developers will be forced once again to branch out. (I kinda feel like the same thing happened x amount of years ago, we have someone who makes a game like Mario, then everyone else makes platformers for a long while because they work and they're what sell. Then we get tired of that, they branch out into more and more genres and get hung up on Call of Duty/FPS games...then we get tired of that, etc, etc).
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've read that with a AAA game the Marketing department has a huge influence on what features, types of characters, etc... gets into a game.

Though I've never worked in house at a successful AAA studio so I can't say if this is really true or not.
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    Personally I have stopped playing most AAA games. There are very few that I find that end up being fun and enjoyable. I think right now with all the wicked indi devs finding an outlet (tablets, phones etc.) you can really see how little passion is left in the end products of most AA titles.

Just my opinion :).
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Well they're are a lot of cool AAA-games with some really cool creative ideas but yeah most games these days takes ideas from others, hopefully & sucessfully convert it to their own idea with enough niche to get it recognized as such.

Minecraft is a perfecet example of an idea of a game taken from another idea and made into it's own. I'd say that Assassins Creed does a good job of that as well.

But yeah I still believe that the industry will fall on it's feet soon, crumble because of it's own success and growth. Hardware costs goes up, development time increases because of complexity, more devs needed to stay within timeframe and games still cost the same. No way in the end to make up for all the money unless you're creating superhits all the time like Blizzard.

It's quite worrying actually, I hope smarter people than me are researching different business alternatives. :D
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    @chrisradsby - i disagree that games need to cost more to sustain buisness... they need to cost less... at the moment we have a system where few games makes shit tons of money and most games/ studios fail commercially,...a lower price point would allow gamers to spread their purchases across more games and take more risks with their hard earned cash...this in turn would enable publishers to take more risk....unfortunately i dont see any major publisher willing to de-value their stock for the long term gain...at least in the physical retail sector....heres hoping for digitals influence
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Can I just state that I think the term "AAA game" is one the biggest bunches of marketing bullshit..
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    brick & mortar sales are declining while digital sales are increasing (by a huge margin) - we've seen more flexibility with prices for digital vs physical sales
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    brick & mortar sales are declining while digital sales are increasing (by a huge margin) - we've seen more flexibility with prices for digital vs physical sales

I dont think everyone whom bought in brick and mortar has defected to digital(at least not yet).
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    In the UK, and even more so in Euroland, brick and mortar is still king. It's declining for sure, but I'm willing to bet you can blame the supermarkets more than digital.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee wrote: »
    In the UK, and even more so in Euroland, brick and mortar is still king. It's declining for sure, but I'm willing to bet you can blame the supermarkets more than digital.

In the US there's Gamestop and that's it, all their competitors were purchased or went out of business. It's starting to look like Blockbuster, the video rental juggernaut that went bankrupt and are now sad empty places selling their entire stock and furniture.

Digital sales account for 24% of overall game sales but I wonder if they are counting F2P games with virtual sales, all the moms spending money on Zynga games never walked into a Gamestop unless they were trying to buy "that plastic guitar game" as a christmas present.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    Physical stores are completely obsolete in countries where undeterred high speed internet access (e.g. China) are pervasive. Even when it comes to physical goods, China doesn't do much with physical stores. They have entire vacant cities that they built in anticipation of their economic expansion, but they just buy stuff online. Once Europe and the US stop letting cable and telecom corporations hold back infrastructure expansion to make their legacy services more attractive, we'll start seeing commerce move more online rather than in meatspace for digital goods, physical goods too. Amazon and Steam are really redefining how people shop.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Urgh, I do not look forward to the world you just described Greevar. Whilst I don't disagree it's happening, I very much believe it... I just don't want it!

It's already depressing when I walk downtown and it's just vacant shop after vacant shop, and God forbid I actually want to go to a decent record store, or independent game retailer they just don't exist!

I love the convenience of shopping online when I know I want something, but I also love the 'touchy feely' experience when I'm shopping for something I don't know much about.

Oh well, until they start serving coffee through fibre optic cables it looks like I'll still be leaving the house.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chinese internet is anything but a free unregulated wonderland :P

I've only heard complaints that the great firewall slows everything down
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar wrote: »
    Physical stores are completely obsolete in countries where undeterred high speed internet access (e.g. China) are pervasive. Even when it comes to physical goods, China doesn't do much with physical stores. They have entire vacant cities that they built in anticipation of their economic expansion, but they just buy stuff online. Once Europe and the US stop letting cable and telecom corporations hold back infrastructure expansion to make their legacy services more attractive, we'll start seeing commerce move more online rather than in meatspace for digital goods, physical goods too. Amazon and Steam are really redefining how people shop.

I think we're already seeing a huge trend of games going digital.

We're not really going to see a majority of games sales digitally until the next cycle of consoles however, where digital distribution is a major(or even the main) component. Right now a massive amount of games sales are for physical disk based console systems. Sure you can buy those disks at a wide variety of online retailers, but the fact of the matter is a massive amount of sales comes from little Johny 8-17 year old's Parents, or cash allowance, IE: little Johny doesn't have a credit card, and can't shop online without help from his parents.

This has more to due with the fact that traditional physical sales are still happening in physical stores than anything else. The infrastructure for digital distribution is there and has been for a while, at-least in the US.

The same infrastructure that allows us to download games on steam will work just fine when we've got digital distribution based consoles, so saying the cable companies are holding us back, its just illogical. Not everything in life is "the man screwing us over".
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Also, Netflix is now going to be offering games too. This may be more significant than it first seems. They have what seems to be a pretty solid commitment to improving their business, and are making a huge move towards streaming. Now they're getting into games.

They could be a major player in the next generation of consoles. You already have a Netflix app for PS3/360, and PC of course. If they could figure out some way where you "rent" the game from them, and it downloads it instead of sending you a physical disc, it could be the way of the future.

Or maybe I'm just full of crap and nothing will happen... who knows?
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    so saying the cable companies are holding us back, its just illogical.

It is like that living in the UK / other parts of Euroland where all the cables are held by a monopoly. We must have 30-40 ISPs here in the UK, but all but one of them are directly reliant on BT, who control almost all of the nations landline connections and have no need to improve their infrastructure since they already have almost everyone in their pocket. Virgin are taking over somewhat with their fibre-optics, but that's not as widely available as it could be (only in some cities, and not in all areas).

...not to mention people in places like Oz/Nz who suffer from 1-2Gb a month bandwidth caps. Downloading a game like Rage (22Gb) would take you 1-2 years.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is like that living in the UK / other parts of Euroland where all the cables are held by a monopoly. We must have 30-40 ISPs here in the UK, but all but one of them are directly reliant on BT, who control almost all of the nations landline connections and have no need to improve their infrastructure since they already have almost everyone in their pocket. Virgin are taking over somewhat with their fibre-optics, but that's not as widely available as it could be (only in some cities, and not in all areas).

...not to mention people in places like Oz/Nz who suffer from 1-2Gb a month bandwidth caps. Downloading a game like Rage (22Gb) would take you 1-2 years.
    at-least in the US.

=P

But yeah, I can't really speak on the UK/OZ/etc, I just know that in the US, highspeed broadband "uncapped"(or at the very least reasonably capped) is extremely common, even in rural areas.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    flaagan wrote: »
    Can I just state that I think the term "AAA game" is one the biggest bunches of marketing bullshit..

Yes, it certainly is. The industry is in flux. The line between large and small studios is blurring. Perhaps more significantly, a lot of companies are beginning to question the current "blockbuster" game development model. Producing large-scale game projects is less profitable and more risky than ever.

Marketing in large-scale development often has way too much control over the creative process. The marketing department can and will make sweeping changes to a game in the interest of making it easier to sell.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18

In Sweden we have pretty much unhindered internet at cheap prices going all the way up to 200mbit, and we've been up to speed ever since steam launched and before, and it's no way like the picture you're painting of a high-speed internet nation.

Chinas problems are due to many other things but internet.

Stores have had to adjust for things, many focusing on hardware and console games, and most of them selling pre-order and collectors editions of pc games and even steam-versions for steam activation, they've also adjusted to selling both goods online and in retail, it works out for them.

But in short, I've been ordering things online since 10 years back and that hasn't changed much.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9

for consoles perhaps, but i havent bought a game from a shop for the last 5 or so years, its all Steam. My friends are the same, infact here in ireland its getting quite hard to find PC games in shops. Netwise I have a 250GB cap per month and 25MBit, buying games online is easy and practical.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The same infrastructure that allows us to download games on steam will work just fine when we've got digital distribution based consoles...

The consoles are already capable, they just need to let people use bigger hard drives. Physical sales of console games are necessary because console makers aren't letting people use cheap high capacity HDD's. They could easily implement a system similar to Steam if it behooved them, it's just a storage issue. If people could attach their huge HDD's to the console, they could buy lots of games and store them for play. No game disc needed. Everything could be handled over USB or online.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    Also, Netflix is now going to be offering games too. This may be more significant than it first seems. They have what seems to be a pretty solid commitment to improving their business, and are making a huge move towards streaming. Now they're getting into games.

They could be a major player in the next generation of consoles. You already have a Netflix app for PS3/360, and PC of course. If they could figure out some way where you "rent" the game from them, and it downloads it instead of sending you a physical disc, it could be the way of the future.

Or maybe I'm just full of crap and nothing will happen... who knows?

That sounds a bit like OnLive. I think OnLive isn't going appeal to many since so many ISP impose data caps. If you use OnLive along with Netflix streaming, Spotify, drop box, and others simultaneously (because you have roomies or a family), you're going to hit that cap like a George of the Jungle hits a tree.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    "If they could figure out some way where you "rent" the game from them, and it downloads it instead of sending you a physical disc, it could be the way of the future."

Oh I thought that's what Steam already did...
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The consoles are already capable, they just need to let people use bigger hard drives. Physical sales of console games are necessary because console makers aren't letting people use cheap high capacity HDD's. They could easily implement a system similar to Steam if it behooved them, it's just a storage issue. If people could attach their huge HDD's to the console, they could buy lots of games and store them for play. No game disc needed. Everything could be handled over USB or online.

Did I say the consoles are not currently capable? Consoles are not only capable, but already doing it, with Xbox live etc. What I said was, until we have the next generation of consoles that will likely be heavily reliant on digital distribution as the main path of getting games into consumer's hands, you're still going to see the majority of sales trending towards physical copies.

There are a variety of issues that play into it, there is no reason to dumb it down into conspiracy theories like "Big bag telcom companies wont let us have it" or "Big bad console companies wont let us have it".
    That sounds a bit like OnLive. I think OnLive isn't going appeal to many since so many ISP impose data caps. If you use OnLive along with Netflix streaming, Spotify, drop box, and others simultaneously (because you have roomies or a family), you're going to hit that cap like a George of the Jungle hits a tree.

Netflix is going to be sending out physic game disc rentals, ala gamefly. I agree that renting ~30gb games on a streaming service every few days is going to tax a lot of pipes, but buying digitally distributed games in no more taxing than current systems like steam. So the idea that ISPs are holding anything back is just unfounded. ISPS are holding digital console distribution back as much as they are digital PC distribution(IE: not much).

Certainly if you and the 17 migrant workers who live in your basement want to steam netflix and download games all day long, that's going to be an issue. For the average user, its not really a problem.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Chinese internet is anything but a free unregulated wonderland :P

I've only heard complaints that the great firewall slows everything down

The intra-chinese internet is quite fast :( (*) Piracy must be terrible in China though, because pretty much all the Chinese games I saw at the local trade shows were MMOs.

I still dunno where Chinese buy legit games (or DVDs). I haven't seen anything like a Gamestop yet, and unlike in Europe, Media Markt doesn't sell any games at all. Just hardware. Other than that, it's only small shops and guys with wooden push carts selling bootleg copies.

(*) which fast I mean you can stream hi res video without stuttering. Ain't possible with most sources outside China unless you're lucky. Practically most connections are around 2 mbit, which isn't even considered broadband any more in the US.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You don't realize how fast and easily you can hit those caps. Comcast, which probably has the largest cap, allows 250GB a month. Break that down, that's roughly 8GB a day. If you're downloading games, streaming Netflix/Hulu, etc, and so on, and sharing that data with the household doing one or all of those activities, you bet your ass you'll be hitting that cap. As people are becoming less reliant on cable and more on streaming (especially those that want HD quality), it's going to be more difficult. It's worse on DSL, the speeds are slow and many providers cap, but don't explicitly indicate the threshold, merely stating "excessive use".

I never said they were evil, they're just greedy and underhanded. I reserve the word evil for those that commit atrocities against the human race.

Anyway, digital distribution is the future. It's just moving faster in countries that are more connected.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    So yeah how about that game development...