Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Riot Games Art Test - Tiki Hut

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Spacey polycounter lvl 18
Throwing my hat in with everyone else doing ArenaNet and Riot art tests.

The idea is to take this tomb thing and plop it in another environment changing the materials and structure to match the new surroundings. I'm doing mine as a tiki hut in a beach environment. I've got a rough concept knocked out, but still need to work on getting more interesting colors. Polygons to come very soon.

beach_tomb_concept.jpg

Replies

• konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    this is pretty cool- though Im not too keen on the pink. maybe and orange/yellow glow instead?
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet concept! Do you intend to keep it in pastel colors? Seems to me more saturated, vibrant colors would work better on this kind of asset.
  • Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input guys. I wasn't happy at all with the colors on that first concept, so I came back to it and spruced it up some. I'm like it much more now.

beach_tomb_concept02.jpg
  • Robbyh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unled2gd.jpg

Fun concept mate ! Was to lazy to do the whole thing since i havent slept yet and its AM but yeah ! eazy to make ! i like it !

I hijackd his thread.. just stumbled uppon it and saw the concept and found it fun !
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    So are you doing the concept and Robbyh is modeling it? Or did he just totally try to hijax your thread ;)?
  • Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm flattered you wanted to work off one of my concepts. The proportions on your model could use some work. Also it was intended to have three tiki heads spaced around the hut, not two, which would probably help with the proportions.

Knocked out the model and started working on the textures. Still plenty left to work on...
    It's currently sitting a little above 1000 tri's with a 512 texture.

tikihut_wip02.jpg
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    While I like the model a lot, I don't think it is similar to the original at all. You've gone from 9 to 3 entrances, you've changed the structure/shape, and you've changed the scale.

If I look at both, simultaneously, Your hut feels like it's only the top half of the ice structure - if you get what I mean?
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    Snader wrote: »
    While I like the model a lot, I don't think it is similar to the original at all. You've gone from 9 to 3 entrances, you've changed the structure/shape, and you've changed the scale.

If I look at both, simultaneously, Your hut feels like it's only the top half of the ice structure - if you get what I mean?

What? Did you reply to the right thread?
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Seems like he did.

The major thing you kept was a cone tipped cylinder shape.

Like snader said, the original has 9 doors, yours 3. The original has a balcony around it above the doors, yours has none...

Not knocking yours, I love tiki and it will be cool to see what you end up with.

But if they are looking for a model with 'personal' modifications I don't think you hit that very well.

I dig tiki, but I think you should stay away from 'flamboyant painted tiki' and go with a much more natural wood carved tiki. The concept is much more that style and it's much more authentic IMO.
    Use lighting to add colors to it, make it look lit by fire from the inside, moonlight from outside. Will be very dramatic with colors still, but won't look like it's at disney land.
  • Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I appreciate the feedback Snader and Baddcog. I'm not trying to blow you guys off, but...
    My intention was less to duplicate the tomb and more to make a replacement asset to be dropped into another environment. The same shapes remain (cylindrical design, domed roof, multiple entrances) but would fit better if stuck on a beach environment (instead of a heavy, stone tomb). If it's a problem of deviating too far from a concept, I think I'm showing I can work off a concept fairly close, even if it is my own. Overall I'm not too worried about it as this is just an assignment for class. I'd rather be working on what I want while I can! :)

Worked in some of Baddcog's suggestions, mostly a more natural tiki head with toned down paint. Here's where I am...

tikihut_wip03.jpg
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Nice design! I don't know why but that log with the white paint just doesn't sit well with me. I think it needs more of a purpose, what is it's purpose? And the white paint on it doesn't seem to sit well with the other colours...

Really like it though. Tip top texturing.
  • mutatedjellyfish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mutatedjellyfish polycounter lvl 10
    Personally, I don't see the log as tiki-themed at all. It just doesn't seem like a log I would find next to a thatch-roofed tiki hut. It looks more like a log I would see camping in the mountains, and that throws off the paint scheme as well. It looks more American Indians than Pacific Islander.

I dig the rest of it though.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's looking better. But I agree with the log crits, doesn't really seem to fit. The Tiki head looks much better though.

It also depends what game it would be for. Tiki could go several ways, ancient tribal, new school...

If it was a more modern setting it could be a bar or surf shop. A couple long boards stacked up next to it would look cool.
    I thought about a window with a bar there, but the doors are too small, so that probably wouldn't look good (would barely take up any space to scale.)

I think what's bugging me now (sorry) is the scale. If that door is 7 feet tall, then the tree those leafs is from would be huge! The bamboo might even be a bit large.
  • Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wasn't liking the log either. It was supposed to be a decorative piece of wood, but, if you couldn't tell, I was painting around it not knowing what to do with it. The surf boards were a fantastic idea! I was racking my brain earlier trying to figure something else out, why didn't I think of that?!

Thanks for the help everyone!

tikihut_wip04.jpg

tikihut_wip05.jpg

tikihut_wip06.jpg
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Beautiful work, you really did a great job with this.

You have to tell me though, I see the Polycount logo on the texture sheet but nowhere on the model - where is it!?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    I wouldn't mind a slightly bigger screenshot tbh :D
    Nice toony style and good looking textures!
  • Kamaki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kamaki polycounter lvl 6
    You have to tell me though, I see the Polycount logo on the texture sheet but nowhere on the model - where is it!?
    My guess is it looks like it would be on the bottom of the model.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Great work! I would love to see some larger shots though. So tiny.
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Really nice, great textures! I kinda liked the glowing light from the inside, did you choose to remove it?
  • alloa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alloa polycounter lvl 12
    Yes, i would a bigger screenshot too!
    The finish is gorgeous!
  • Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments all <3
    BrontoThunder: The greentooth is actually hidden on the back side of the tiki head, pretty much inside the hut.
    wizo: Removing the lights was mostly a time factor. I actually like it a lot without the lighting, though I might try and incorporate it later just to see...

And a bigger image for your eye holes.

tikihut_wip07-1.jpg
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Great man. Sand is spot on. Love the style.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turned out really nice. I like how you put different props on every side, sand castle is good touch too.

The ground cross section is a cool touch also.