Home Technical Talk

Objects vanishes in Maya.

I've been working on a model for a while now and discovered a weird problem: Some objects disappears without a trace!!

I have no idea were they are... I can select the objects in the outliner but I can't see them anywhere!

They are not hidden, not in a hidden layer, the have a material.

I tried to combine with other objects, deleted history and also tried to export/import without results.

This happened earlier too but then I just opened an back-up file and reworked the lost work.

Anyone know what's wrong?

Replies

• nullfed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nullfed polycounter lvl 9
    If you definitely have a material on them and they aren't hidden on a layer, could they be in a group that is in the layer (while the objects themselves aren't)?
    Failing that, when you select one of the objects, does the channel box have '-1.#IO' in any of the fields? Its a floating point error. I had that a couple of times and I had to freeze transforms and clear history on each one individually - unparent from group, freeze, repeat. Then I could snap them to the origin or frame them.
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    If you select them can you at least see the wireframe? If so then you just need to assign it lambert1 again and then give it whatever shader it had on before.

Try selecting it and pressing F in case the object is way out in space somewhere. Is the origin of the manipulator at the origin of the scene?

If you select it and there is no wireframe and the poly count shows nothing then it sounds like the mesh is gone. :/
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    I've been working on a model for a while now and discovered a weird problem: Some objects disappears without a trace!!

I have no idea were they are... I can select the objects in the outliner but I can't see them anywhere!

They are not hidden, not in a hidden layer, the have a material.

I tried to combine with other objects, deleted history and also tried to export/import without results.

This happened earlier too but then I just opened an back-up file and reworked the lost work.

Anyone know what's wrong?

Did you try looking in the other prospective views? It could be something that you have selected, isolated from the mesh. Does the new mesh disappear when you combine?
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did these objects already get combined/extracted previously? There's a few cases where blank shape nodes are left over.

Maybe try saving as .ma format, and search for the model names in a text editor, check their data.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This sounds kind of like a camera near/far clip plane problem. Try selecting your camera and changing the near clip plane to be a very low value and/or the far clip plane to be a very large value.

I might have the terminology wrong it's been like 5 years since I last used Maya...

EDIT:

If this is the problem then you are working at a scale that is hard for Maya to deal with by default.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    had this happen the other day.

the object still exists all i had to do to bring it back was select it using the outliner than press w to put a transformation widget on it and once i tried to move it it re-apparead.

just seems like a weird rendering bug.

but it may of happened to me because i had a few complex hlsl shaders going.
  • Carl Brannstrom
    nullfed wrote: »
    If you definitely have a material on them and they aren't hidden on a layer, could they be in a group that is in the layer (while the objects themselves aren't)?
    Failing that, when you select one of the objects, does the channel box have '-1.#IO' in any of the fields? Its a floating point error. I had that a couple of times and I had to freeze transforms and clear history on each one individually - unparent from group, freeze, repeat. Then I could snap them to the origin or frame them.

Yes I'm 100% sure they have a material and aren't hidden or are in a hidden layer. (They are not in a layer at all.)

Everything looks ok in the channel box, translate and rotation are 0, scale 1.

History is deleted and there are no empty groups.
    If you select them can you at least see the wireframe? If so then you just need to assign it lambert1 again and then give it whatever shader it had on before.

Try selecting it and pressing F in case the object is way out in space somewhere. Is the origin of the manipulator at the origin of the scene?

If you select it and there is no wireframe and the poly count shows nothing then it sounds like the mesh is gone. :/

There's no wireframe. When I frame it, it zooms in to the origin. When I check the polycount it says 0 :(
    Did you try looking in the other prospective views? It could be something that you have selected, isolated from the mesh. Does the new mesh disappear when you combine?

Yeah I have looked in the ortographic views and also created a new camera without results. If I combine it with another mesh, the new mesh is normal.
    This sounds kind of like a camera near/far clip plane problem. Try selecting your camera and changing the near clip plane to be a very low value and/or the far clip plane to be a very large value.

I might have the terminology wrong it's been like 5 years since I last used Maya...

EDIT:

If this is the problem then you are working at a scale that is hard for Maya to deal with by default.

No, it's nothing like that. I was just finished with the UV's for the model and I checked so the model looked like it should since I had the same problem earlier and it was good. Saved and closed maya. Then the next day when I opened the file, the object had disappeared! I don't understand why :(
    There was no error or warning message.
    had this happen the other day.

the object still exists all i had to do to bring it back was select it using the outliner than press w to put a transformation widget on it and once i tried to move it it re-apparead.

just seems like a weird rendering bug.

but it may of happened to me because i had a few complex hlsl shaders going.

I tried to move it around but it's still not there. I only have lambert1 in the scene...

I can't understand how this can happend!

Everything looked fine when I saved and closed Maya and now it's just... gone...

Fortunately I had several back up files (29 lol) so it was only 10 min of rework. But still I want to know what's wrong because next time I might not have 29 back up files...
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    Turn on the Poly Count HUD and select the object to see if it still holds any vertices. If the second column says 0 you're out of luck.
    You can also turn on shape nodes in the outliner to check if there's anything below the transform node.

Have you been switching between different versions of Maya? I've had this happen between 2012 - 2011 versions....
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    Fuck Maya. That program trolls my co-worker and I day in and day out. Just this morning it's like, "Oh, you spent all day yesterday working with blend shapes and blend weights!? DELETE" Luckily, creating a new scene file and importing that scene into it fixed the problem...

Which brings me to the constructive part of this post. Do just that and see if that fixes it. My money is that it will. You could also try the ol' export obj, then reimport obj trick and see if it was something with the object that was screwing with it.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The HUD only counts verts if they're visible and on-screen, thats why I suggested saving as .ma and checking the data to see if anything is actually there, and possibly salvagable.
  • Carl Brannstrom
    ivars wrote: »
    Turn on the Poly Count HUD and select the object to see if it still holds any vertices. If the second column says 0 you're out of luck.
    You can also turn on shape nodes in the outliner to check if there's anything below the transform node.

Have you been switching between different versions of Maya? I've had this happen between 2012 - 2011 versions....

No, it says 0 on both verts and tris... Also if I try to export the model it says it doesn't contain any polygons.

I haven't switched during the modelling process, only used 2012.
    Fuck Maya. That program trolls my co-worker and I day in and day out. Just this morning it's like, "Oh, you spent all day yesterday working with blend shapes and blend weights!? DELETE" Luckily, creating a new scene file and importing that scene into it fixed the problem...

Which brings me to the constructive part of this post. Do just that and see if that fixes it. My money is that it will. You could also try the ol' export obj, then reimport obj trick and see if it was something with the object that was screwing with it.

No, it didn't work either :(
    The HUD only counts verts if they're visible and on-screen, thats why I suggested saving as .ma and checking the data to see if anything is actually there, and possibly salvagable.

I'll check it out when I'll work on the model next time!

I'm not sure, but I think I know what could be the reason why it's so screwed up.
    For this model, I have used a lot of instances. It's a character will quite a lot of gear and the way I modelled the gear was to first place them on the character, made an instance of the object and reset it's rotation etc and then modelled the instance in the world axis. I did the same when making the UV's. When finished, I deleted the history and also deleted the instance.
    Everything looked fine and I saved and quit. Then the next time I opened the model, parts of the gear was missing :s
  • Bummer6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bummer6 polycounter lvl 13
    Sorry to ressurect this thread, but I'd just like to tell everyone that this shit still happens in Maya 2015. Worked on a model for hours without saving cause I'm an idiot, I then hit undo aaaaaand my model disappears... no trace of it, no verts, no polys, saving and importing as .ma didn't work, it's just gone. Maya pisses me off to no end... I worked with Max and this kind of shit never happened. You'd think that a piece of software that's been around for as long as Maya has would be more stable than this. It feels like I'm testing a pre-alpha version.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    The longer you work with maya themore you realise what a bag of shit it really is.

Export everything to fbx every hour or two and you'll lose less when it blows up in your face.

Assuming the export works of course. .
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    This happens to me every once in a while but it's so rare that it's not something I have to pray won't happen every time I open up the software. Then again, I switched back to 2013 from 2015 after being completely fed up with how buggy and crashy it was (2013 is by far the most stable & reliable version).

Deleting history regularly probably helps avoid many (not all) of the issues addressed in this thread. Just assign it to a hotkey and you should get into the habit of regularly clearing history without a second thought. The majority of problems I hear about often involve a ridiculously large or complex history stack that has been neglected. If you just got done using the Merge Vertex tool 50 times, chances are your history stack is now useless. Delete that history.

You can also set up automatic saves in the preferences if it's such a persistent problem. You can configure how often Maya automatically saves and how far back the saves can go.