Home Technical Talk

need computer advice.

Hello I am needing some computer related advice.

I think I have a good rig currently although I have a major problem with it.
It does sound, not a lot but I really need something soundless, or at least reeaaaally low sounding because with time this just got to my nerves.

currently is this:

i7 930
12g ram corsair dominator
quadro fx 1800
Asus P6x58D premium
corsair cmpsu 650tx - 650watts
coolmaster advanced HAF RC 932.
...etc

Now, I am not a very computer savy person so I dont know what may be causing this. I cant complain on the computer, it does perform great for what I need it for (3d work mostly) This is not a leisure computer.
But that sound thing its making me want to get something like this:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Apple-Mac-Pro-2-8-Ghz-8-Core-24GB-RAM-2TB-BT-Big-Mac-/270677389005?pt=Apple_Desktops&hash=item3f05a12ecd

Although I have no experience with macs at all, but have nothing against neither. I just noticed they are very silent and overall great working computers.

So I dont know if its worth selling my current computer and get one like the one on that ebay link. Or try to find out how to make this computer work silently. I know I may sound pretty picky. But seriously for work this is ultra important for me. So hopefully you can help me out with some advice. Thanks for your time!

edit: it gets specially noisy when I render stuff, and I like to leave it rendering overnight but then I cant sleep!

Replies

• Inhert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inhert polycounter lvl 9
    Could be something wrong with the fan or maybe dust build up. Dust build up are normally the common culprits for making such loud noises from the computer. If not then it might be time for a new computer. How long have had this computer?
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    99% of PC noise comes from the fans.

The fans generally speed up and thus get louder when the PC is doing something CPU or GPU intensive like rendering or playing games. You can try to clean the dust out of your PC like lnhert suggests, which should help.

If you really want a quiet PC you'll need to get specific parts to do the job such as low RPM fans and passive cooling heatsinks for your CPU and GPU, check out these sites:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/

http://www.endpcnoise.com/

I hope that helps.
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey thanks a lot guys. Yes, I just took a look, looks like nasty dust is all around, I forgot the last time I clean it! he. It has like 1 year old maybe a bit less. Ok I ll take a look at those links. At work we have mac pro and boxx computers, and I went closer and even when rendering there was barely any sound. But yeah they looked cleaner than mine. So I ll start off by cleaning the fan. thanks for your help again!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    replace the fans if its still loud, it could just be a bad bearing in one fan. I got 1 speed fans, they are audible in a quiet room, but I'd rather have a constant white noise than fans ramping up while I game.