Home Technical Talk

Repeating Textures and UVs...

Hey everyone, I have a question about Repeating Textures and UVs. As you may know I am working on the ArenaNet art test like many others. I am about to begin texturing and was trying to determine the best way to use my texture space. I noticed many of the other people that are creating pieces are using repeating textures for areas like the brick and the roof.

My question is, how does one combine repeating textures with UVs?

Until now I had thought it was not possible since UVs require that every single part of the model be mapped into a "small" area and even though you can place two UVs on top of each other, a fully repeating texture would require a lot of precison work to get that just right. The only way I could ever imagine it would be done would be to have the UV continue off of the standard map area and go beyond the 0 - 1 range so it is larger than the texture itself and the texture is forced to repeat, but obviously that would be a bad method of texturing/UVing to use with game art. Is there something I am missing? I am just not understanding how they are achieving the effect?

I am sure it will make sense once someone tells me what I am missing but for now I am just plain confused. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide, and have a good one.

Replies

• Bunglo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bunglo polycounter lvl 13
    The only time you'll really need your UVs to be in the 0:1 space is if you're making unique textures or setting up lightmap UVs, etc.

Extending your UVs past the 0:1 space isn't a "bad method" for games, it's the standard. That's how you effectively use a tileable texture, there's no need to constrain your self to the 0:1 space when the texture goes on forever.

Check out Jessica's thread below, she (and others) had some questions regarding tileable textures and UVs, should be able to answer some of your questions.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87797
  • DaveSilver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow. That is phenomenal. I had always assumed that is was bad form to do that but I guess I was just wrong. Thank you so much Bunglo, you have just made my day. Also, yea that thread was pretty helpful.