Home Technical Talk

3ds Max NURMS

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Computron polycounter lvl 7
3ds Max's UI is causing me a little confusion.

Isn't NURMS the algorithm that Turbosmooth uses? If so, why are there NURMS Sub-Division toggles and cage settings in sub-object mode? What's the difference? What do you gain by having Turbosmooth as a modifiers rather than a sub-object tool? Is there a difference in performance like there is between MeshSmooth and Turbosmooth? Is there any difference in feature set? I notice the NURMS rollout contains a smoothness constraint feature not present in Turbosmooth, what can this practically be used for? On that note, has anyone ever used Separate by Smoothing-Groups/Material IDs to any useful effect?

Replies

• Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    I personally never use the option in the edit Poly, I always use the Modifier. I think it is cleaner that way and I can instantiate the Modifier over multiple objects. Visually and performance-wise it shouldn't make a noticeable difference, but I haven't tested that.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    So far as I remember TS is a vastly cut down/ optimised version of MeshSmooth/NURMS.
    TS is the fastest method of the three to do SDS modelling.

And yeah in certain very specific situations smoothing by material/SG can be handy. You can do this and then put another modifier on top. it'll give you a quick and dirty beveling effect. Best thing to do is experiment with it.