Home General Discussion

Energy Boosting Methods

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
kaze369 polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys, I've been working at this new job, no it's not a industry job(unfortunately), and it's pretty physically demanding. I work in the shipping and receiving area at a pretty popular nationwide retail store. Every other day I have to take boxes that are between 2- 75 pounds off a truck, unpack the clothing, and then bring everything to the floor. Unusually, taking everything off the truck will last until 9 or 9:30 am and then the rest of the time I'm bring stuff out to the floor.

Then when I get home at around 2:30pm I'm so tired I feel like I have no energy to model or texture. It's nice to have a job and an income, considering I haven't found anything in over a year, but this is effecting my portfolio work.

Do you guys have any methods that you use to boost your energy?
I literally almost fell asleep at my desk while I was modeling.

Replies

• HandSandwich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HandSandwich polycounter lvl 18
    scarface_coke.jpg

I usually give myself 3 hours or so when I get home to relax and unload before I start with personal work. I find the break lets me get into a more creative and motivated mode.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Adequate amounts of sleep, food, and water (or other non-alcoholic beverages of your choice).

Sounds obvious enough but over my late teenage years of working various jobs, including the type you mentioned, the above is what kept me going strong.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    That'll fade, especially if you do a bit of extra exercise when you can fit it in. Your bodys just not used to the physical work and needs to build itself up.

I used to do a lot of labouring when I was younger, the first couple of weeks are killer, then you get used to it and you can function again. Aside from that make sure your eating and sleeping well.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    treat your body right, gets some proper sleep even if it cuts into the modeling time, since your time while your burnt out inst very valuable to you.

also you should have some sort of social life, it's not good to always be going between your dayjob and than going right back to work on your personal stuff, with out haveing something to give your mind a rest and break the pattern a bit.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stay properly hydrated and fed while at work as well.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    RexM wrote: »
    Stay properly hydrated and fed while at work as well.

yeah drinking lots of water is surprisingly effective.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eat before work, nothing heavy but eat something.

Especially if you're the type to skip breakfast, probably skip lunch and then make up for it all with a big dinner.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    sports :) not joking. I use to do construction work before and i never believed I will get use to it for the longest time. Only after i started going to the gym my body become stronger and my metabolism started catching up ....
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Half the liquids in my body are Monster Energy.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Laugh.

100% serious.
  • tyddynroger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tyddynroger polycounter lvl 6
    disanski wrote: »
    sports :) not joking. I use to do construction work before and i never believed I will get use to it for the longest time. Only after i started going to the gym my body become stronger and my metabolism started catching up ....

completely agree, i started the gym a year ago, i go 3 times a week and feel a lot more energetic and alert.

i was doing a phyiscally demanding job for 12 hours a day, getting up at 5 am, home for 6:30 pm, gym at 7 and home for 9.

you just have to work through the first month and you'll get used to us, its why we've lasted on this earth so long, the ability to adapt.
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Energy drinks are unhealthy lol. Probably a good way is to eat Organic foods, Sleep at proper times. even drink Green tea and meditate for a bit.
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    forget energy drinks theyll make you fat, and screw your liver, try to catch good sleep, and as others were saying drink water and dont eat huge meals for lunch, that ll make you sleepy, balance your food intake and do exercise. No reason to look further than that. Is not something difficult.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    push-ups, pull-ups, go out in the sun, eat a carrot (my new one, always picks me up. A whole carrot, not one of those silly mini-baby-cuts)
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    What time do you start work?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    cholden wrote: »
    push-ups, pull-ups, go out in the sun, eat a carrot (my new one, always picks me up. A whole carrot, not one of those silly mini-baby-cuts)

What if he eats like 10 baby carrots? And are dipping sauces allowed?

As others said, eat something before you work. Breaks to pet cats are nice too.
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the comments guys. I usually try to eat one of those cereal bars and a nutritional drink in the morning. When I get my 15 min. I'll eat have another cereal bar and something to drink. Then at lunch I'll have a slice of pizza and maybe a side of meat balls; though today I had some organic burgers. I've already lost 20 pounds since I started working there.

@TrevorJ - I start work at 7am.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Step one: Eat healthy. Fruits, vegetables, and meat, balanced diet and all that!

Step two: GET EXCITED ABOUT ART.

You aren't going to do something you aren't passionate about. Why do you love art? What kinds of art do you love? Get into that shit, and pour your heart and soul into it.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Ever since I started drinking coffee, I procrastinate 605% more

so don't drink coffee
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maze wrote: »
    forget energy drinks theyll make you fat, and screw your liver

Do you have any evidence to this claim?

I have been drinking about 4 to 5 energy drinks every week for like 3 years now. I am 6'2 and 168 pounds so not fat, and my liver is fine. I see comments like this from people of "Oh energy drinks make you fat and shit!" but never any proof to that.

Just saying.

Also it could be the greasy/starchy foods your eating (IE pizza and shit) that make you sleepy. I generally dont feel like I have a ton of "energy" after eating "heavy" foods like that.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    A can of monster has the same amount of sugar as a can of coke.

You can be not fat with a diet of taco bell as long as you stay within your body's calorie maintenance level. Not fat is not the same as healthy though and the weight you do carry is probably mostly bodyfat.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Stand up every once in a while.

Stretch.
    Go for water, juice, coffee, etc.
    Go check out what your co-workers are cooking up.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll usually get straight to work when I get home from the office, and when I start getting tired I'll take a quick break and do a small chore..like the dishes...then get back to work when I'm done. Its a win-win, you get the blood flowing and the apartment gets a little cleaner.

I suck down energy drinks like they are water...can't say I condone it tho..

I've been trying 5 hour instant energy drinks instead...no sugar, same amount of caffeine as a cup of coffee...just loaded with B vitamins.

Actually..maybe just a B vitamin supplement will help you out.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    For some reason playing games gets me back to work, and I don't have a problem with energy anymore... or just like what everyone else pretty much said, getting up and just do other things.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    Threads like this is why Polycount rocks!
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon wrote: »

"While consuming energy drinks alone will not damage your liver immediately, prolonged consumption of certain ingredients in popular energy drinks may have ill long-term effects on your liver. For example, many energy drinks contain herbal concentrate products like kava kava or taurine. An overabundance of either of these herbal supplements can lead to liver damage or liver failure, according to the University of Michigan Health System. For example, consuming large amounts of taurine may lead to complications in individuals with type-2 diabetes."

I am not saying dont ever drink an energy drink. What I meant is dont depend on an "energy" drink or whatever to feel energized. And why I wrote that is because people who I know that drink energy drinks, do it in a very regular, if not (x2) daily basis. So I guess that paragraph on top applies. And I dont agree with the mentality I ll keep doing this because I dont get fat/it havent harm me yet. Its about quality living. Sure you ll probably never die of that. But you could probably live a lot better simply avoiding daily basis sodas/energisers.

In the end is just my opinion. I think all you need to be ok is exercise regularly, sleep well, have sex regularly and eat well. You ll feel amazingly energized.

I even stop drinking coffee at all 5 months ago, but ok then that is really personal choice. I just dont think I need it at all. Besides the taste.

• DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    I've seen people make energy drinks that look like they could power a city. Anything natural is good.

Lots of water and music. It calms you down and eventually forces you to leave your computer for when you need to piss.

Also I've only had like 4 monsters through out the year. They don't make me feel different or energetic but it does taste good. Energy drinks are like placebos I guess.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    While I've never seen evidence that they'll make you fat per se (depends on your metabolism, though), they *are* terrible for your heart. The insane sugar and taurine levels do increase blood pressure and put a strain on your heart. Look it up.

I have been drinking about 4 to 5 energy drinks every week for like 3 years now. I am 6'2 and 168 pounds so not fat, and my liver is fine. I see comments like this from people of "Oh energy drinks make you fat and shit!" but never any proof to that.

Just saying.

Also it could be the greasy/starchy foods your eating (IE pizza and shit) that make you sleepy. I generally dont feel like I have a ton of "energy" after eating "heavy" foods like that.
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    Go lick a 9 volt battery.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess it also depends on the energy drink you get. I get the "low carb" monster energy drink and that has 6grams of sugar in it.
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    Excercise rhytms also helps on your energy level.
    I had a crash on my bicycle here a few days ago, and I can definitly feel I got a lower energy level all day long when I can't ride my bike to work and home again. Now I'm forced to take the bus and that makes me tired.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Haha "lowcarb energy drinks", marketing at it's finest!

To the OP : you don't need a magic supplement. Being tired is just that - fatigue. Drink well, eat well, sleep and exercise.
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam wrote: »
    Stand up every once in a while.

Stretch.
    Go for water, juice, coffee, etc.
    Go check out what your co-workers are cooking up.

I'm actually on my feet all day.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    On another forum I go on a bunch of members have a thing going to do 10 pushups for every post you make on the forums. Since exercise was mentioned I think that would spot nicely :)

Everytime you post on poly punt do 10 pushups :D
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    kaze369 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I've been working at this new job, no it's not a industry job(unfortunately), and it's pretty physically demanding. I work in the shipping and receiving area at a pretty popular nationwide retail store. Every other day I have to take boxes that are between 2- 75 pounds off a truck, unpack the clothing, and then bring everything to the floor. Unusually, taking everything off the truck will last until 9 or 9:30 am and then the rest of the time I'm bring stuff out to the floor.

Then when I get home at around 2:30pm I'm so tired I feel like I have no energy to model or texture. It's nice to have a job and an income, considering I haven't found anything in over a year, but this is effecting my portfolio work.

Do you guys have any methods that you use to boost your energy?
    I literally almost fell asleep at my desk while I was modeling.

On my 8th cup of tea for the day so far. It keeps you awake, and if you are a smoker and drink coffee or tea with it, its a good refresher. Or Take 2 hours of nap than wake up and do stuff that you are finding hard to spend time on. =\
  • myles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 13
    Sing. Always have a drink in front of you and be sure to take a break every 50 minutes or so.

Okay don't bother singing if your in a studio.. unless you like being laughed at.
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    i find amphetamines work very well right up until the psychosis
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ Jeeezus. What the fuck ever happened to just eating right and exercising?

Drinking coffee, or energy drinks or any of that shit could never compare with just being healthy.
  • yeman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I find meditating for 10 to 15 minutes right before jump to work really helps clear your mind and help you shift to work mode a lot easier.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    a good way to visualize what's in all that horrible crap
    Sugar Stacks
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    my liver is fine

Do you have any evidence to this claim? ;P

Aye, cold water is very refreshing so drink lots of that, but also try to eat fresh whole foods. Spinach is basically natures steroids. And I'm not basing that off the Popeye cartoon. :poly142: Get loads of veggies and sun and anything that you can get vitamins from basically, but try to get them through organic sources.
  • Treboras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Treboras polycounter lvl 12
    The most important things are said already. Healthy food, exercise and a good portion of sleep every night ;)

But one more thing to consider: If you drink a lot energy drinks or coffee ... stop it for a while and see what changes. Maybe you like it. And if you try to reduce your consume of such things, but enjoyed it previously, do so again maybe? A little bit of unhealthiness is not that bad imho ... just don't overdo ;)