Home General Discussion

Just another forum rant thread

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Frump polycounter lvl 12
Thread titles... This has been brought up a few times before but I wanted to create a thread about it because it's been on my mind a lot.

Disclaimer: I am definitely not the best at naming my threads or selling my work, but there seem to be some common problems present. Don't think I am calling everyone out, because this definitely doesn't apply to everyone.

I spend a lot of time reading Polycount each day. Lately I've become really annoyed with thread titles in PnP, and I know I'm not alone! One of my friends is close to losing hair over thread titles. Why is it so hard for people to come up with unique thread titles?

Here's some things your thread title should accomplish:

- Let us know what's about, the theme, the style, the subject
- Make us interested enough to look, hook us!
- Help the thread stand out in our minds so that when we see it on the page we know if we've clicked it or not

It seems like a lot of people are just accomplishing the first and to a bare minimum. It's not good for selling your work or standing out. It's easy to auto-ignore every thread that starts with "another". Not only that, but the whole "another wip thread", "just another", "yet another". That needs to go. It's no longer funny or ironic (if it ever was). It's incredibly annoying and becoming cliche.

I know there is work being done on getting thread thumbnails, which will help, but I think there still needs to be some change. Someone before suggested little icons that said WIP, ENV, CHAR etc. I think those would help make people use more interesting titles.

TL;DR:
People are being annoyingly lazy with their thread titles. There are good reasons why you should be more descriptive. It doesn't help anyone to see every second thread being "another wip thread".

For your consideration:

IqCCZ.png

Replies

• Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I agree! Not sure what else to say. You pretty much covered everything. I would love some sort of system where you're required to choose a bracket or something that is always displayed before your thread name like [UDK], [CE3] or something like that. That might be going a bit too far though.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    People who are not creative enough to come up with something beyond "another sci fi hallwway" general are not creative enough to do really amazing work. Or so I have noticed.

Now its true that naming shit interesting isnt easy but people who seem to put taht extra care into there work to make there work interesting seem to put that extra something in there thread titles to make people want too look at the fantastic work they just finished.
  • SgtNasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    /agree Frump. Good post. I hate hallways of all varieties. Sci fi hallways are way too common though. I understand that it's an easy thing to do and it's applicable to a lot of studios and stuff, but it's just so ridiculous at this point. Hallways are so architecturally boring... they are literally made to connect two ROOMS. Why not just put in a little extra thought and effort and do a ROOM instead? You know, with a subject, maybe a little story?

If you even for a second consider having the word "another" in your thread title, just stop what you are doing, and make a different model.

Compounding the problem is that I even see the same concepts being used at times... It's not super common, nor is it a big problem, it's just annoying. There are so many places to pull inspiration from. Yes, Deus Ex and Mass Effect are awesome... but we would have never had Blade Runner if all Ridley Scott did was reference other movies. Watch the National Geographic channel, read some books, take a vacation, go for a walk to some less traveled areas of your neighborhood, etc.

There's a lot more to the world than hallways.
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    I kind of agree but at the same time, those hallways seem pretty hard to name. I have noticed 'sci-fi hallway's and I feel that it's more the fact that there's a lot of people doing them rather than the people being lazy about naming it. Other things pop out because they might be heavily inspired from a game like 'Mass Effect style Hallway' or simply another genre. But if it's sci-fi, and a hallway of your own design... I'm out of ideas.

Characters are a bit easier I guess but I've also been unoriginal with my Female UT3 Character, which I only named once I needed one to get it into the game (probably could've added 'sci-fi' to it I suppose). But again unless people have compeltely refined a character, or are basing it off of a concept already named (or is of a genre that really pops out) then you're probably going to keep seeing 'female character' or 'fantasy character' somewhere down the list. Perhaps being able to edit the title as the character develops would be good.

Edit: I guess it's more about unoriginal projects rather than thread names.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Well, this thread is a little hypocritical.
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Hey, that's my thread in that screenshot!..... ohhhhh

eBIz6.png
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17

Self-demonstrating, actually.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12

That's kind of the point, Emil.
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah who cares people are allowed to name it whatever they want to just like this threads name. sorry about your friend losing hair over thread titles :(
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    I can see where you and your friend are coming from but I don't think its really that big of deal. Starting to smell like GA just saying lol (go go gadget flame war)
  • SgtNasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To be honest, after reading through the GA thread names on the 3D WIP forum (I went about 5 pages or so deep), I would say on average they have named their threads way better. I figured it would be worse over there, but Polycount looks like it's still the king of "another" threads.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12

Heh, yeah I realized just after posting it that the title was a bit self-defeating by also being uninteresting. It was meant to be mocking but by my own logic I would probably ignore it.

@phattyewok, makecg
    It's just a suggestion. I think it benefits everyone. I don't think it should be enforced at all. I just urge people to be more creative. The thing that bothers me most is that we sell ourselves short with the bad titles. I think TeriyakiStyle put it pretty well.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    Why so many posts lately with people bitching about "problems" with polycount? Really guys? You can't just make art, post it, and crit the art other people are posting? It's not that complicated.
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg wrote: »
    Why so many posts lately with people bitching about "problems" with polycount? Really guys? You can't just make art, post it, and crit the art other people are posting? It's not that complicated.

AGREED !
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Hypocritical or hypercritical? Hypo = not critical enough
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    Ferg wrote: »

Yea, I'm really not sure when forums became such serious business, but I don't care for it myself.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    I don't so much mind the thread names... It is the persons loss if they named it weird. If anything they are getting more noticed because of using "another" thread name. It obviously sticks out like a sore thumb to some ppl.

Coming from 3dtotal the only thing that bothers me about threads here is that I don't know which threads I have freaking been to! :poly105: I find myself subscribing to every thread I want to check back for fear that in a week I might not be able to find it on the 10th page. lol

Thought it was kinda cool how 3dtotal started doing the thumbnails...

When I create a Scifi hallway I am going to call it "THE" Sci-fi Hallway. :P

I actually wish I could change the name of a thread. Because even though my "Rat Revival" thread has been on the front page 3 or 4 times it only has 8 views? Lame. Didn't think it was that lame of a name when I made it.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    I don't care much for thread titles, the only thing I look at when browsing polycount are the artist names. If I know them or know their work and I think they are good, i'll click it..

I know, I am a bad person.
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    People who are not creative enough to come up with something beyond "another sci fi hallwway" general are not creative enough to do really amazing work. Or so I have noticed.
    Not necessarily, I remember lots of great threads with ambiguous names,
    this being one of them.
  • Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed, "another, first..." is no way to start a thread title, but not really something to lose your hair over :O

Having said that, even a bog standard thread title will capture my attention if I recognise the name, i.e. someone who's built up their rep and posted a lot. So if I saw "Character by Alessandro Baldasseroni" I would be clicking ^_^
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ Would be cool if we create a kind of 'Standard'.

e.g.

[WIP] - Character - Female Swordmaster

[WIP] - Prop - Office Stuff

[UDK] - Environment - Space Station

[FINISHED] - Weapon - Ak47

Maybe my examples aren't perfect but you get the idea. Might be helpful to see a sort of uniformity
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    yes, more rules...we should also fashion standard polycount reply. Anyone breaking the rules should be subject to a stern polycount rebuking thread- this should also be standardized. If we do it just right we could have the forum be a series of multiple choice answers and questions that express acceptable forms of polycount communication
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    low odor wrote: »
    yes, more rules...we should also fashion standard polycount reply. Anyone breaking the rules should be subject to a stern polycount rebuking thread- this should also be standardized. If we do it just right we could have the forum be a series of multiple choice answers and questions that express acceptable forms of polycount communication

~ lol

I see your point. Didn't want to give the impression I thought it should be a rule. Just thought it might be helpful to people who struggle to make a clear title and would help keep clarity if there was a rough title template.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I don't think we need any enforcement of it..
    Frump I agree with your complaint but I don't think you'll accomplish much with the rant format. what you should instead do is write a post called 'How to get your pimp threads noticed' and fill it full of the same advice, except from the perspective of the artist. Explain how it will get them more feedback and views of their art, rather than from your perspective about how annoying it is.

If they are made to understand that it benefits themselves, people will do it out of free will. If they think they should do it just because it makes someone grumpy otherwise, the chance is pretty low.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    rooster wrote: »
    Frump I agree with your complaint but I don't think you'll accomplish much with the rant format. what you should instead do is write a post called 'How to get your pimp threads noticed' and fill it full of the same advice, except from the perspective of the artist. Explain how it will get them more feedback and views of their art, rather than from your perspective about how annoying it is.

If they are made to understand that it benefits themselves, people will do it out of free will. If they think they should do it just because it makes someone grumpy otherwise, the chance is pretty low.

+1
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    rooster wrote: »

A thread like that already exists and I am definitely not the guy to expand it with knowledge; I can't get anyone to post in my threads.