Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Ivo Nies, Concept Artist

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
EVIL polycounter lvl 18
Whooot! finally have my website up and running again.

EVILART.BIZ

My buddy Wildstyle helped me setting it all up and gave some great advice!
Guess there is also a shoutout needed to Jon Jones for his awesome article! your portfolio repels jobs

So maybe people have been to my url before, and found a silly floating eyeball on it, well, not anymore!

There isn't much on it yet, but I can assure you it wont take long for it to fill up. Now I can focus on content building and expand my portfolio.

So please, crit the site, work, resume, etc.
I'm on display here and you can give critique on everything!

Replies

• MartinH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinH polycounter lvl 8
    this is what a portfolio should look like, no nonsense and no clicking to get anywhere.

I belive your strongest pieces are the 4 at the top, where they should be really xD Am i to assume these are your personal works? which brings me to my next point.

Breaking up personal and professional work might be a good idea too. It might not need anything more than a note underneath the image giving a brief description.

The colorwork on the top image is great, love it!
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick comment. Very nice presentation, really good graphic design makes it very appealing. The art is also amazing, I really like your concepts. Cheers!
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    thnx, oh btw, I dont really want to boast, but have you tried dragging one of the images to a new tab, or saving them and looking what they look like.'I added a url bar to each image, but its cropped via css on the website itself to keep a clean look.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Strong work and a solid presentation. I like!

Id love to see a little more work, or maybe even a sketch category so potential employers can see your looser work. As you know, we dont always get enough time to render things out as nicely as you have for most of that work. Also maybe some subject matter that is a little more fantastic/imaginative.

Great stuff though!
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    MartinH wrote: »
    I belive your strongest pieces are the 4 at the top, where they should be really xD Am i to assume these are your personal works?
    Yes, the top 4 are personal works, the rest are all of a single project for the company I currently work for. I have been working there for a couple of years now, but the only images that I thought pushed the things I wanted to push where these. I would have liked to put up some others but they are under NDA and are for a project that's currently frozen in the fridge.

I hope I can show those someday
  • Nemlet17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Freaking LOVE your work. Looking really good, keep inspiring ;)

Would maybe put all your tabs and or resume link at bottom of the page to, just a thought.

- Zack
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Nemlet17 - I added a text link that pulls you back to the top of the page
  • RogerP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    Really like your work, specially the first image. I'm in the process of getting my portfolio site ready as well, been reading that Jon Jones article, def some good pointers there :) Keep up the good work.
  • imijatov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just wanted to pop in and say great work! Layout is simple and concise, the way it should be :). The sort order of your pieces from top to bottom feels just right.

Btw, as for critiques. Don't know if you or the rest of the crew agrees or not. But if I counted right - your #4-12-13 pieces are the weakest links simply because they are not as polished as your other works. However, I don't feel as though they hurt your port much (if at all), if you did decide to keep them there.
  • MissMaddyTaylor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MissMaddyTaylor greentooth
    Brilliant layout and work! :D
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    It's nice to finally put a face to the name - I used to click on your website periodically to see what was up and it'd always be a placeholder T_T

Those detailed environments look really fucking time consuming but theyre no doubt really useful too.

It'd been nice to see some more images that are definitively you though as i like what youre teasing with <3
  • Elyaradine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elyaradine polycounter lvl 11
    Oh, wow, that's beautiful! :)

And the css thing's such a neat trick! :D
  • Spug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    Sick nasty, outstanding stuff!
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    this is dynamite! *drooling*
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    that first image gave me chills.
    Really good way to start offf your foio, I feel like if I were looking to hire you, I would be sending the email before I even scrolled past that first work.

Too bad im not in charge of hiring :P
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks everyone! didn't expect such positive reactions, maybe because I have been staring at these pieces for to long.

@ imijatov - thnx for returning for a crit! if I would remove a couple of pieces, it would be the last 2, maybe I will scale them down and huddle them up next to each other so they wont be so in your face if I decide to keep them.

So something that I am thinking of doing, will be splitting it up into a professional and personal section once I get more work to show like MartinH suggested.

I am also looking into putting up a follow up page once you click on each piece and do a bit more talking around it, like explaining certain design decisions. Sounds like valuable information for future employers. Maybe I can play around with some css and do some neat hide and unhide div tricks to stream line the experience, keeping the viewer on just the single front page.

what do you guys think?
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Cool stuff man! :)

At first I thought those interiors were high resolution 3d renders until I spotted some more obvious brush strokes on the third one, that's awesome haha!
    Would love to see more crude concepts like the ship or the nerdy guy even though they're not as detailed as the other pieces.
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Your portfolio is so good man! the work is all really great aswell, well done :)
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Not sure how WIP this is, but all your images have 'go to detail page' as hover-text but they don't have hyperlinks attached.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    @ kwakkie - Thanks man, there is some sketchup stuff involved in those environments tho, doing all the perspective stuff by hand would have been an absolute nightmare!

since its production work, there is a bit of cheating involved, sketchup with a base texture applies to the surfaces and take shots of other angles to get the perspective of the reflections right (love doing reflections).

@ snader - yeah, I did some preparation offline for detail pages, but apparently I must have uploaded it when adding the footer link to hurl you back to the top of the page.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Be still my heart.....
    That was fucking AWESOME!!