Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Roger Perez - Character Artist

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
RogerP polycounter
Hey, there guys

I started building my website/portfolio and would love to get some critiques. The website it self it's kind of sucky as far as the lay out goes, I really have no experience what-so-ever building websites, I wanted to create something simple and accessible. As far as my work goes I know I have to do two main things, get some more Low Poly/High Poly characters finished and I also want to do some prop and hard surfacing work.

Please feel free to leave your critique, I need your opinion :)

ROGERCG.COM

Replies

• riddlaz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are some thumbnails that I'm not to sure about.. for example:

The one with the red hair, has a cool character when you click on it, but the thumbnail itself is not very interesting. You do the same for other thumbnails, such as the first one with the chest, or the second one with the lamp..

My advice is to pick the most interesting part of the model for the thumbnail. Otherwise, people won't click on them.

Another thing I noticed is that one of the rows has 5 thumbnails, I would suggest having 4 and three below it. This way the thumbnails wont go outside the borders from left to right.

Best Regards,
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    I'd say you could probably get all that those pics into one place so people don't have to scroll down. Banner at the tops prolly a bit too large.

You've already pointed out the main problem though which is it's all pretty much WIPs and sculpts. I mean a couple of sculpts are probably fine but they do take up the whole portfolio. I've also read that you shouldn't put WIPs onto your portfolio, and it looks like the 2 full body sculpts are also wips which doesn't help. Keep working though and don't even think about doing some props and hard surfaces until you finish what you've got :p

On your finished snow guy I notice you don't have any asymmetry on the body but you haven't mirrored your uvs to save texture space either. I think you gotta go with one or the other.
  • RogerP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    Thanks for the feedback guys, it's really appreciated. Will make changes soon.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    it seems like having your thumbnails open up just as a jpeg on a blank page is kind of a weird idea. have you thought of doing some sort of flash slideshow sort of thing (im not entirely sure what to categorize it as but it would load your image on that same page but above everything else, and you can click between images).

even if not id probably recommend showing a bit more of whats in the picture in the actual thumbnail. i would also ditch that border around the thumbnails. just use simple colors.

as for the work. its good. id like to see more low poly stuff.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    The main image could use a bit of downsizing. After clicking your link it takes up almost half the page. The layout has a bunch of wasted grey space I think could be fixed by rearranged the way your columns are set up.

Work looks nice! I would definitely try to get those sculpts baked down and game ready.
  • RogerP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    Looking for some pointers on the new layout, went as simple and minimalist as possible :) all images are place holders.

ROGERCG.COM

Things I'll be doing next:

-Adding contact info to pictures on the home page
    -Clicking on the picture will take you to a breakdown of the main pic (maps, wires, etc)
    -Adding more finished work

Need some feedback....C&C are more than welcome
  • SA_22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like the clean look you got going on.. only thing that stands out to me is when you click an image a smaller version of it opens up ( might just be my because of my screen size tho)
  • RogerP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    Could be, that feature is going to be removed also. When you click on the images up front, it will take you into a separate page breaking down everything on the model (wires, maps, etc)

Thanks for the feedback ;)