Home Technical Talk

Xnormal-Normal Map Artifacts- Blue & Yellow

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
probiner polycounter lvl 12
Solved
Hi guys. Sorry if this is a very common error, but i searched the forums and found nothing.

My normal map is coming out Blue and Yellow in Xnormal.
I scaled both Hi and Low to 5, since I was getting the "small model" warning.
I ran the "Ray Distance Calculator" and copied the max/min values.
Using Anti-aliasing 2x for a 1024x1024 image.
-Model is unwelded on the hard edges-

My AO map looks like it came out alright but since I'm having artifacts in the Nmap, now I'm having doubts.

Nmap attached

Any clarification is welcome.

Also, what is the best method to bake smooth edge corners into low-poly hard edge model?
I tryed to unweld the edges i want hard and leave the rest fully smoothed.
I tryed to keep the same UV map, but have a Bevel/Inset so that the Faceted Shapes Normal point correctly.
The Second one seems to work better so far, but it's a lot of work. I would prefer to know a way to just split polygons on the edges i want hard, getting the correct normals, and then bake a map to it.

Argh, big post...

Cheers

Replies

• probiner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok.... so I'm an idiot... I had the Normal Map settings to X+ X+ Z+...

Now I'm fighting with reflections of the model coming out of nowhere, even with Mix/Max Ray set, by the Calculator. My OccMap also shows these 'reflections' artifacts.

Also, still fighting with the best method to bake smooth corners to hard edges.

Cheers
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Set xnormal so it ignores backface hits, should get rid of this problem. Now, about the hard edges... There´s a whole thread you need to read -> http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81154
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Are you using a cage? It really doesn't look like you are. Seems to me like you'll need one.
  • probiner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I kind of learned how to set up a cage and I got good results and I'm done with it, but... the thing is I still get those reflections. I see them in areas of the LowPoly mesh that go inside the High Poly Mesh. So the rays seem to travel through the model until they hit something in the other end, even if I have a cage supposedly to stop them...

If i uncheck "Ignore Backface Hits" what happens? In the areas that were reflecting the model they are not now Tangente Space, they are Object Space. So the map ends a a collage of Purple, Orange and Green :S

Anyway the results i had were quite satisfaction, only these artifacts were a 'BUT' and avoid my complete joy. Nevertheless, xNormal is very, very cool app.
    Thanks to Santiago
    Thank you for the replies.